Add a Clothing Slot

There's a lot of clothing in this game that people barely use and are forgotten that take up body slots, and people refuse on using it cause most like having a backpack and hats usually suffice them to the sacrifice of extra comfort that vests and such could provide.

-Overall I think it would be a good idea just to make it so that you could wear a backpack and a clothing piece together but you will have to drop or change from both just to wear armor slot part as a balance.
-Perhaps also people could wear amulets on the clothing slot and not need to drop their backpack, still working the same as you'd have to drop both backpack and amulet to wear armor.

Any thoughts on this? It's kinda a shame to have so many clothing items like vests and shirts that help with seasons and yet not have a reworked use for them. I don't know if people have any issue or care for this, I just think it's just a shame not to care for them as much.

4 hours ago, Mantas said:

There's a lot of clothing in this game that people barely use and are forgotten that take up body slots, and people refuse on using it cause most like having a backpack and hats usually suffice them to the sacrifice of extra comfort that vests and such could provide.

-Overall I think it would be a good idea just to make it so that you could wear a backpack and a clothing piece together but you will have to drop or change from both just to wear armor slot part as a balance.
-Perhaps also people could wear amulets on the clothing slot and not need to drop their backpack, still working the same as you'd have to drop both backpack and amulet to wear armor.

Any thoughts on this? It's kinda a shame to have so many clothing items like vests and shirts that help with seasons and yet not have a reworked use for them. I don't know if people have any issue or care for this, I just think it's just a shame not to care for them as much.

Seems ok but i think we don't need it, i mean, im just thinking about it, using everything at the same time oof... to make it fair it needs to make you reeeaaally slow, and you can carry all the good items with just the inventory slot, no need for backpack, the heltmet can protect you really good and one themal stone with an umbrella and a heltmet can make everything, if you want more inventory slot use Woby, chester or Hutch

5 minutes ago, Danymaster20 said:

Seems ok but don't need it, i mean, im just thinking about it, using everything at the same time oof... to make it fair it needs to make you reeeaaally slow, and you can carry all the good items with just the inventory slot, no need for backpack, the heltmet can protect you really good and one themal stone with an umbrella and a heltmet can make everything, if you want more inventory slot use Woby, chester or Butch

Slowness is a factor that noone wants in this game, walking without a walking cane is already unknown or too much of a drag. Barely anyone even makes piggy sacks just cause of slowness. Least we need is more downsides, more perhaps we need maybe reasonable weather mechanics to have a use for them perhaps.

Clothing items are extremely powerful. The insulating items let you last about 3-5x as long as a thermal stone before you need to regulate your temperature again. Just because most people have poor inventory management and need to run around with 3 stacks of flint for no reason doesn't mean clothing items are bad, and using that same logic of "Most people don't use it" you could argue that nearly everything needs to be buffed just because most people are content with doing the same thing over and over again even if it's inefficient and ineffective, as long as it passes the bare minimum threshold of them not dying.

18 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Clothing items are extremely powerful. The insulating items let you last about 3-5x as long as a thermal stone before you need to regulate your temperature again. Just because most people have poor inventory management and need to run around with 3 stacks of flint for no reason doesn't mean clothing items are bad, and using that same logic of "Most people don't use it" you could argue that nearly everything needs to be buffed just because most people are content with doing the same thing over and over again even if it's inefficient and ineffective, as long as it passes the bare minimum threshold of them not dying.

At best they could rework thermalstone to be, as mentioned, to be working with the clothing items that are in the game to be put inside them instead of inventory. I dunno, I'd just enjoy the mechanic of still wearing these items and not having a thermal taking a slot of inventory as same as still wearing a backpack. If thermalstone is all that you need in survival, what's the point of wearing insulating clothes? Inventory is everything and this game has too many items to deal with already, just giving a mini rework for this would suffice.

4 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

If thermalstone is all that you need in survival, what's the point of wearing insulating clothes?

This logic makes no sense to me. Insulated clothes can also be all you need for survival, what’s the point in using thermal stones? Just wearing a beefalo hat gives you a straightforward conversation rate of 9 seconds of warmth for every 1 second you warm up, lasting up to 10.5 minutes. The Thermal stones have to be charged up to their max temperature at the perfect time with the perfect heat source, and even then they don’t last long. I just personally find them egregiously annoying.

52 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

I have the opposite problem. When talking about purely only using clothing or thermal stones(i use both) I see the stones as a superior choice for one reason, stone swapping. Yes you get more time per sitting at a heat source, but when your stone is low? Just get the next one that's already heated up, boom, took half a second to pick it up. End game ill have furnaces all over my map thanks to scale duping. You don't even need to have a stone at every furnace, just bring two. You get 5 scales per green gem (assuming used a green amulet to craft staff) go crazy.

38 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Yeah switching is great for sure. And that’s the main downside of insulation. But in return, you do get a much more straightforward and reliable heat source. 

BUT, using fire nettles + insulation are an option that I wanna try and I just remembered about. Because that also provides an instant effect.

Furnaces are still an expensive thing to craft en masse. And you can also craft tin fishin bins with sunfish on boats. Sunfish take 2 days (insulated pack, winter) to turn spoiled red. With a 4 furnace station, thermal stones run out in 7.5 minutes.

Sorry for continuing this meaningless winter warmth efficiency argument. I can’t help myself :/

1 hour ago, Friendly Grass said:

Yeah switching is great for sure. And that’s the main downside of insulation. But in return, you do get a much more straightforward and reliable heat source. 

BUT, using fire nettles + insulation are an option that I wanna try and I just remembered about. Because that also provides an instant effect.

Too bad Wormwood is immune to nettles... As long as defeat a dragonfly once a year I have a fresh suncaller every summer. Also because I am a big boss enthusiast I spend all of Winters fighting dragonfly, klaus, beequeen, the chess pieces, and sometimes even Crab king(cheese)/ malbatross; all which only need 1 dwarf star/furnace on boat. I tend to void building or harvesting resources in Winter.

All depends on your play style I suppose. 

Furnaces are still an expensive thing to craft en masse. And you can also craft tin fishin bins with sunfish on boats. Sunfish take 2 days (insulated pack, winter) to turn spoiled red. With a 4 furnace station, thermal stones run out in 7.5 minutes.

I can see that working for non wormwoods for sure. Having living log crafts at my finger tips means I have sun caller and deconstruction staffs up the wazoo. 

Sorry for continuing this meaningless winter warmth efficiency argument. I can’t help myself :/

No, sir! Don't apologize, I love debates, haha. Something Im always self conscious about, is if people may see me as a nagging/argumentive person but in truth I just like non-heated debates. I took debates all throughout highschool and I now I like to argue xD. I feel that as long as people can argue respectfully there is always something for someone to learn even if its just the spectators.

Honestly I'd love the separate slots as it doesn't really make sense in universe not to but at the same time clothing slot has the issue of things being too powerful or not powerful enough that being said I'd love to see how much it changes the items people use if they did a test run on it. Clothing isn't useless just can't compete with having more options/space

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Honestly I'd love the separate slots as it doesn't really make sense in universe not to but at the same time clothing slot has the issue of things being too powerful or not powerful enough that being said I'd love to see how much it changes the items people use if they did a test run on it. Clothing isn't useless just can't compete with having more options/space

Clothing most certainly can compete with having more space if you manage your inventory properly, and clothing itself is what gives you more options. Backpacks take options away, not grant more. If you aren't using a backpack you have so many possibilities. Without a backpack you can come up with any combination of body/head armor, body/head light, body/head sanity clothing, body/head insulating clothing, magiluminesence, etc. With a backpack you're forced to use a thermal and you're forced to wear a helmet or suffer severe damage. That means you're moving a lot slower, your fighting in the dark ability is greatly hindered if you aren't Warly, you'll have a lot less sanity, you'll need to regulate your temperature a lot more, and you'll be in trouble during spring because if you don't get the eyebrella you'll need to use your hand slot to stay dry, but even if you have the eyebrella you'll have to either get wet as you fight (which is problematic) or awkwardly drop your flammable backpack on the ground then go back to get it as you wear body armor (which is problematic).

Backpacks are a great item. They are situationally the best thing you can equip in the body slot (Early exploration, turf gathering, ruins clearing sometimes). But they are not nearly as good as everyone thinks they are, and with better inventory management you can do so much more without being hindered by a backpack.

If I don’t feel the need for a backpack in spring I’ll often use a raincoat which has all the perks of the eyebrella, allows you to keep your head slot free, has 60 insulation which is usually just enough to get you through the first couple spring nights where world temp is low, I can wear a tam while it’s raining, I get wetness and lightning protection while I’m fighting, lightning protection especially helpful for fighting moose goose, it has 10 days of durability instead of 9 so you can repair it at exactly 50%, and I can swap it with a mag/belt of hunger/whatever when it’s not raining. So convenient and reliable, and totally worth it.

I also mostly main Wes now and with his low max sanity and increased sanity drain I want sanity clothing at all times if I don’t wanna go insane. So being able to wear the tam while it’s raining is huge.

30 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

If I don’t feel the need for a backpack in spring I’ll often use a raincoat which has all the perks of the eyebrella, allows you to keep your head slot free, has 60 insulation which is usually just enough to get you through the first couple spring nights where world temp is low, I can wear a tam while it’s raining, I get wetness and lightning protection while I’m fighting, lightning protection especially helpful for fighting moose goose, it has 10 days of durability instead of 9 so you can repair it at exactly 50%, and I can swap it with a mag/belt of hunger/whatever when it’s not raining. So convenient and reliable, and totally worth it.

I also mostly main Wes now and with his low max sanity and increased sanity drain I want sanity clothing at all times if I don’t wanna go insane. So being able to wear the tam while it’s raining is huge.

Plus, the rain coat lets you use football helmets which are the cheapest armor in the game (assuming you didn't join a public server with extinct pigs). If you want to stay dry using an eyebrella the cheapest armor would be log suits which are considerably more tedious to acquire and stack horribly in your inventory at only 2.5 per slot instead of up to 40 per slot.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Clothing most certainly can compete with having more space if you manage your inventory properly, and clothing itself is what gives you more options. Backpacks take options away, not grant more. If you aren't using a backpack you have so many possibilities. Without a backpack you can come up with any combination of body/head armor, body/head light, body/head sanity clothing, body/head insulating clothing, magiluminesence, etc. With a backpack you're forced to use a thermal and you're forced to wear a helmet or suffer severe damage. That means you're moving a lot slower, your fighting in the dark ability is greatly hindered if you aren't Warly, you'll have a lot less sanity, you'll need to regulate your temperature a lot more, and you'll be in trouble during spring because if you don't get the eyebrella you'll need to use your hand slot to stay dry, but even if you have the eyebrella you'll have to either get wet as you fight (which is problematic) or awkwardly drop your flammable backpack on the ground then go back to get it as you wear body armor (which is problematic).

Backpacks are a great item. They are situationally the best thing you can equip in the body slot (Early exploration, turf gathering, ruins clearing sometimes). But they are not nearly as good as everyone thinks they are, and with better inventory management you can do so much more without being hindered by a backpack.

This assumes you can't carry body slot items in your backpack if your fighting it's as simple as equipping winter clothes from your backpack if your not you don't need the headshot for armor so you can use it for sanity or weather protection you can use more body items via the ability to store more and mix and match on demand and still have more space for stuff including the magilum the only downside you face is not having the speed boost at all times which i feel the walking came does plenty for basic travels not to mention there are also multiple characters geared towards speed if it's that important I'm not saying backpacks are the end all be all but they without doubt give you more options overall. As for passive sanity gain there is headgear options as well as food options also even with flammable backpacks all you need is to exercise common sense to keep things from burning but there are multiple flame resistant options.

9 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This assumes you can't carry body slot items in your backpack if your fighting it's as simple as equipping winter clothes from your backpack if your not you don't need the headshot for armor so you can use it for sanity or weather protection you can use more body items via the ability to store more and mix and match on demand and still have more space for stuff including the magilum the only downside you face is not having the speed boost at all times which i feel the walking came does plenty for basic travels not to mention there are also multiple characters geared towards speed if it's that important I'm not saying backpacks are the end all be all but they without doubt give you more options overall. As for passive sanity gain there is headgear options as well as food options also even with flammable backpacks all you need is to exercise common sense to keep things from burning but there are multiple flame resistant options.

Instead of awkwardly shambling around wasting a bunch of time going back for your backpack and still completely forgoing a bunch of body slots like magi, rain coat, hibearnation, etc, you can just learn better inventory management. If you're adding a bunch of crap to the backpack just so you can pretend like the backpack isn't weighing you down you've filled the backpack up so much it isn't even benefitting you.

If the backpack truly did offer you more options and was just better, why on Earth would you be suggesting to add a clothing slot? Wouldn't that do nothing, since dropping the backpack is perfectly fine and "you don't need the magi"?

36 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If the backpack truly did offer you more options and was just better, why on Earth would you be suggesting to add a clothing slot? Wouldn't that do nothing, since dropping the backpack is perfectly fine and "you don't need the magi"?

I use magi only in situational cases like some bosses and also I wanna look like a furry roll of sushi without taking off the big sack.

32 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Instead of awkwardly shambling around wasting a bunch of time going back for your backpack and still completely forgoing a bunch of body slots like magi, rain coat, hibearnation, etc, you can just learn better inventory management. If you're adding a bunch of crap to the backpack just so you can pretend like the backpack isn't weighing you down you've filled the backpack up so much it isn't even benefitting you.

Nothing you said refutes anything I've already said the reason I said it'd be nice is for less useful clothing items but i said it would be too powerful to not have to make the choice and always have everything. Taking a second to grab your backpack during the harsher seasons isn't even a real complaint it takes at most 5 seconds and as for the magi I said it's easily replaceable by perks if people really need the speed that being said i never said you had to use body items that said no arguement you've made has explained why a backpack user is unable to use these body items when they need them which is usually only fighting it just seems like putting it down for the sake of putting it down.

Tbh, i can barely play DST without that mod that adds 2 more slots, 1 for clothing/armor and other for amulet, but I still think its OP.

but having a clothing slot, and for clothing only, would be nice and all and I would totally rely on this, and as Frosty_mentos said, when to wear armor, like a wood one, it would then drop the backpack, being able then to wear a clothing and armor, as clothing give no defense bonuses.

or, it could add 4 slot to most body clothing, allowing a player to carry a bit more itens while wearing any clothes, its not like all shirts have pockets, but its a thing.

Archived