Add a Clothing Slot

I barely use insulation clothing, I only use it in public servers... But you don't need it otherwise, a thermal stone is enough to keep warm / cool, seasonal clothing is an optional craft

but a clothing slot sounds nice, if I can wear a coat and a backpack irl, you could in the Constant aswell

On 5/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, Cheggf said:

Clothing items are extremely powerful. The insulating items let you last about 3-5x as long as a thermal stone before you need to regulate your temperature again. Just because most people have poor inventory management and need to run around with 3 stacks of flint for no reason doesn't mean clothing items are bad, and using that same logic of "Most people don't use it" you could argue that nearly everything needs to be buffed just because most people are content with doing the same thing over and over again even if it's inefficient and ineffective, as long as it passes the bare minimum threshold of them not dying.

But the "most people don't use it" argument is valid since doing the most efficient thing involves completely ignoring some of the items in the game, particularly in the magic tab. Furthermore, while clothing and amulets are useful, they are somewhat overshadowed by the backpack and much more so by the krampus sack. You probably already have 3 inventory slots for the grass, logs, and twigs you might need to use at any time. If you were to take what weapons, armor, and clothing you needed with you (now including clothing/amulets), you would have ~6 slots. That just isn't enough to take everything you want to take with you.

11 hours ago, Sapphirush said:

But the "most people don't use it" argument is valid since doing the most efficient thing involves completely ignoring some of the items in the game, particularly in the magic tab.

What?

11 hours ago, Sapphirush said:

Furthermore, while clothing and amulets are useful, they are somewhat overshadowed by the backpack and much more so by the krampus sack. You probably already have 3 inventory slots for the grass, logs, and twigs you might need to use at any time. If you were to take what weapons, armor, and clothing you needed with you (now including clothing/amulets), you would have ~6 slots.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, most people have poor inventory management so most people don't use body slot items. Why do you need to hold grass, logs, twigs, weapons, and amulets? Are you making a nightly campfire for you to sit next to or something while your only other light source is torches instead of the fifty things that are a hundred times better?

13 hours ago, Cheggf said:

What?

I'm talking about items such as the scalemail and straw roll/fur roll. Also items such as marble armor and any walls if you don't count their niche uses.

13 hours ago, Cheggf said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about, most people have poor inventory management so most people don't use body slot items. Why do you need to hold grass, logs, twigs, weapons, and amulets? Are you making a nightly campfire for you to sit next to or something while your only other light source is torches instead of the fifty things that are a hundred times better?

You got me with the twigs, but the logs and grass are for making more log suits. What would you have me do, carry several log suits at once? I would need the head and body slot items for both armor and whatever season I'm in, on top of whatever weapon I use and a light source (usually a lantern). I would also need to have an axe/shovel or a pickaxe if I was planning on doing anything with them. That doesn't leave a lot of inventory slots for items I find on the ground.

12 minutes ago, Sapphirush said:

I'm talking about items such as the scalemail and straw roll/fur roll. Also items such as marble armor and any walls if you don't count their niche uses.

You got me with the twigs, but the logs and grass are for making more log suits. What would you have me do, carry several log suits at once? I would need the head and body slot items for both armor and whatever season I'm in, on top of whatever weapon I use and a light source (usually a lantern). I would also need to have an axe/shovel or a pickaxe if I was planning on doing anything with them. That doesn't leave a lot of inventory slots for items I find on the ground.

Ofc if you plan to farm materials you can use a backpack (or/and black chest) but that doesnt mean you need all thr time that many slots or that many materials so using isulate cloth can make those moments more confortable 

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

isulate cloth

You...you mean bundling wraps, right? Because I could also just burn my grass. I know grass is an easy material to get but you'd be surprised at how quickly you go through grass if you use bundling wraps all the time.

14 hours ago, Sapphirush said:

You got me with the twigs, but the logs and grass are for making more log suits. What would you have me do, carry several log suits at once?

You don't need a ton of armor at all times. The only unexpected danger is hounds and most non-boss enemies don't do a ton of damage, I do fine with a single thulecite suit. The only time I need more armor than that would be boss fights, but if you're getting hit enough in boss fights where you need multiple pieces of armor you also need a lot of healing so you'll already need to prepare and getting more armor isn't wasting time.

I would need the head and body slot items for both armor

Armor doesn't stack in DST. Having head & body armor can be useful in certain situations (e.g. fighting DFly with magi+crown then it becomes night so you switch to suit+miner for an easier time), but those situations are things you have time to prepare for and don't come unexpectedly. Just one piece of armor works fine for day to day gameplay.

and whatever season I'm in

Autumn needs 0 clothes, spring needs 0 or 1, and summer & winter need 1 or 2 (summer's second wouldn't technically be clothes, it'd be a luxury fan or bamulet).

I would also need to have an axe/shovel or a pickaxe if I was planning on doing anything with them.

That's right, if you are planning on doing anything with them. You don't need to at a moment's notice be able to solo Bee Queen and also be able to mine a rock biome out and also be able to chop a bunch of trees down and also be able to shovel the stumps of those trees.

If you are chopping a bunch of trees near the base your inventory does not matter since you can just put a backpack on when you're done. If you're going around getting ice your inventory isn't too important since ice stacks well. And that's even ignoring the fact that you can just bundle things up in bundling wrap.

Backpacks can be useful in certain situations, but they aren't this mandatory thing like you think they are. You can optimize your inventory a lot more, and if you put the effort in to learn that then you'll see how much easier of a time you'll have being able to have two equipment slots instead of just one.

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You don't need a ton of armor at all times. The only unexpected danger is hounds and most non-boss enemies don't do a ton of damage, I do fine with a single thulecite suit. The only time I need more armor than that would be boss fights, but if you're getting hit enough in boss fights where you need multiple pieces of armor you also need a lot of healing so you'll already need to prepare and getting more armor isn't wasting time.

I suppose you're right about logs, then. But, that still leaves grass as something I would want to keep on hand. Also, I hope you aren't suggesting I use thulecite suits for anything other than boss fights. Because those are too expensive to use for anything else.

Armor doesn't stack in DST.

I sincerely don't know if you've noticed, but armor durability is shared between all armor pieces you're wearing. Using both head and body armor makes them both last longer.

Autumn needs 0 clothes, spring needs 0 or 1, and summer & winter need 1 or 2 (summer's second wouldn't technically be clothes, it'd be a luxury fan or bamulet).

So, you're saying that the only season you might need clothes for is during winter? I know your argument is about inventory management, but it would kind of defeat it if clothes were just extra benefits you don't actually need...

That's right, if you are planning on doing anything with them. You don't need to at a moment's notice be able to solo Bee Queen and also be able to mine a rock biome out and also be able to chop a bunch of trees down and also be able to shovel the stumps of those trees.

If you are chopping a bunch of trees near the base your inventory does not matter since you can just put a backpack on when you're done. If you're going around getting ice your inventory isn't too important since ice stacks well. And that's even ignoring the fact that you can just bundle things up in bundling wrap.

Backpacks can be useful in certain situations, but they aren't this mandatory thing like you think they are. You can optimize your inventory a lot more, and if you put the effort in to learn that then you'll see how much easier of a time you'll have being able to have two equipment slots instead of just one.

I don't really know why I mentioned the pickaxe, but I need you to understand how unbelievably boring it is to gather copious amounts of wood without Woodie/Maxwell/Bearger. It's something I would only do when I needed to, so I would want to keep the axe/shovel on me for when I do. This seems like a good place to mention that I forgot about having flint and twigs in the inventory until I have enough gold to consistently use gold tools, which isn't something that can happen for quite a while. Also, just how early do you expect me to beat Bee Queen to mention bundling wraps? I would have to wait until at least the second autumn.

By the way, I think there's something we've neglected to mention this entire time: what about clothes vs krampus sack?

On 5/1/2021 at 2:07 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Adding body slots is too game breaking. 

Thermal stone could work arround insulation. No cloths = lasting few time; cloths = lasting longer

When you use a thermal stone in the real life is having it inside a pocket of a warm coat

How exactly is that a game breaking? If we follow your logic, than every positive change is gamebreaking.

Characters now can jump across small gaps = Gamebreaking

Added Shears that can fast cut twigs and Grass = Gamebreaking

Reworked Wolfgang to be less fight oriented and more utility oriented = Gamebreaking

On full hunger Wobby is 0.00000003% faster = GAMEBREAKING!

What im saying is, additional slot is more like a QOL change that will make DST backpack managment experience a little more bearable. Try to play with more equip slots mod and then go back to vanilla after a while. It will not be harder on vanilla, but more annoying.

1 hour ago, Keller Max said:

How exactly is that a game breaking? If we follow your logic, than every positive change is gamebreaking.

Characters now can jump across small gaps = Gamebreaking

Added Shears that can fast cut twigs and Grass = Gamebreaking

Reworked Wolfgang to be less fight oriented and more utility oriented = Gamebreaking

On full hunger Wobby is 0.00000003% faster = GAMEBREAKING!

What im saying is, additional slot is more like a QOL change that will make DST backpack managment experience a little more bearable.

Da *** are you talking about

Isnt a QoL change is a change to make the game more casual. Im not talking about any of the things you mentioned to be gamebreaker, just cloths because isnt fair that you can access to maximum insulation and a backpack. If you need slots use a backpack or improve your inventort management.

If you see balanced not having to warm yourself in the entire winter because bearger coat+beefalo hat and also you have access to extra slots from a krampus sack...Or not needing to use a little of knowledge to know when to equip armor and when there is no dangers. Having rain coat+plus backpack+hear armor..  so instead of rewarding experience better help new players even more to survive.

1 hour ago, Keller Max said:

Try to play with more equip slots mod and then go back to vanilla after a while. It will not be harder on vanilla, but more annoying.

Imo is the most disgusting mod ever made. I have seen it since back in DS beta

I used it like 5 minutes before feeling dirty and remove it back im the day (when i knew i try many mods) and some friends while ago made me play with it and was the dumbest experience i had in dst "look at me i have always armor and mag no need to worry about paying attention, so balanced" no, i dont care if someone use it but it shouldnt be a game feature, is just too casual. Isnt that hard to think when to wear armor and using armor+amulets is totally dumb

Insulation cloths are an alternative for backpacks for something. Is the player who choose what to wear. Adding cloth slots will just make every experience the same: beeflo hat+bearger coat+ backpack always which is boring (more boring if we take in count how long it takes to suffer cold with that cloths) making winter a bigger joke

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Da *** are you talking about

Isnt a QoL change is a change to make the game more casual. Im not talking about any of the things you mentioned to be gamebreaker, just cloths because isnt fair that you can access to maximum insulation and a backpack. If you need slots use a backpack or improve your inventort management.

If you see balanced not having to warm yourself in the entire winter because bearger coat+beefalo hat and also you have access to extra slots from a krampus sack...Or not needing to use a little of knowledge to know when to equip armor and when there is no dangers. Having rain coat+plus backpack+hear armor..  so instead of rewarding experience better help new players even more to survive.

Imo is the most disgusting mod ever made. I have seen it since back in DS beta

I used it like 5 minutes before feeling dirty and remove it back im the day (when i knew i try many mods) and some friends while ago made me play with it and was the dumbest experience i had in dst "look at me i have always armor and mag no need to worry about paying attention, so balanced" no, i dont care if someone use it but it shouldnt be a game feature, is just too casual. Isnt that hard to think when to wear armor and using armor+amulets is totally dumb

Insulation cloths are an alternative for backpacks for something. Is the player who choose what to wear. Adding cloth slots will just make every experience the same: beeflo hat+bearger coat+ backpack always which is boring (more boring if we take in count how long it takes to suffer cold with that cloths) making winter a bigger joke

My solution is: Nerf insulation items, add cloth slot.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

my solution is start relying less on backpacks

also nerf thermals

Nah, cloths are already way better than thermal in most scenarios and  bulding with non effective stones would be a pain

6 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

"Works Fine" I don't thing it's FINE when a whole class of items being irrelevant.

Irrelevant for you 

Edit: is worts to nerf those items to make cloths more annoying just to be forced to use 2 pieces of cloths in a new slot just because people always carry twigss, grass, flint, gold, tools, gargabe, etc instead of what is really needed

There is extra slots mod if someone wants to use body cloths but dont want to play without slots

16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Nah, cloths are already way better than thermal in most scenarios and  bulding with non effective stones would be a pain

Irrelevant for you 

Edit: is worts to nerf those items to make cloths more annoying just to be forced to use 2 pieces of cloths in a new slot just because people always carry twigss, grass, flint, gold, tools, gargabe, etc instead of what is really needed

There is extra slots mod if someone wants to use body cloths but dont want to play without slots

There is always a way to improve the game. Not touching something, just because you've got used to it is a bad reason not to touch it. Dropping your your backpack just to wear a log armor makes me hate this limitation. Constantly item Dropping, Swapping is boring and is a chore, especially while there is a way for devs to change this.

And btw. Even if they change it, you will always be able not to "ABUSE" things and never have backpack and cloth slot be used simultaneously. Like most people love to tell me on this forum "This game is not competetive, but casual., You can always play like you want" This is about my hatred for how people are abusing Warly and Winona by swapping to them just to get their benefits without experiencing downsides"

extra equipment slots feels sort of like a beginner request no offense. dropping backpack for armor or amulet really is not the monstrous catastrophe that some people here are making it out to be 

i only ever use a thermal and a hat without burning trees to heat thermal and i cant say ive ever ran into any issues. 

A more interesting suggestion i think would be to add a few inventory slots to body clothing like +- 4. 

On 4/30/2021 at 6:05 PM, Well-met said:

or just nerf thermal stones and people will stop running around naked with backpacks?

Yeah! Go ahead! Nerf the ONE easy to obtain item that helps players survive when they join in the middle of winter. Other than the umbrella, pretty parasol, fidget spinner, and earmuffs. Most temperature items take a good deal of effort to get. You'll see no one joining games out of autumn anymore except for the most diehard of don't starve together players. Not to mention the sheer amount of burnt trees and wildfires we see already because people have to burn stuff down to stay warm. If thermal stones get a nerf, there needs to be other easy to obtain temperature items that have a good impact. 

On 5/3/2021 at 1:23 AM, Cheggf said:

Clothing items are extremely powerful. The insulating items let you last about 3-5x as long as a thermal stone before you need to regulate your temperature again. Just because most people have poor inventory management and need to run around with 3 stacks of flint for no reason doesn't mean clothing items are bad, and using that same logic of "Most people don't use it" you could argue that nearly everything needs to be buffed just because most people are content with doing the same thing over and over again even if it's inefficient and ineffective, as long as it passes the bare minimum threshold of them not dying.

Yes because if you put down items on a public server... Aaaand they're gone. There's also no reason not to run around without a backpack when you can keep armor in the pack, swap it out during a fight. And there's 240 insulation hats for every season. "Although yes the eyebrella isn't that easy to get" Don't forget clothing items already have their own balance factors. Time and resources, and requiring to be repaired. It's moreso that the backpack system is obnoxious in a game where every player is fighting over resources on any server that exceeds 4 players. You dump that backpack somewhere? That's items you potentially need to achieve any personal goals just gone. The system works fine if you play with people you know, but not if you play with randoms.

Like, it's easy to go. "This is my personal situation." and don't consider the fact that.
1. The game should also be balanced around latejoining.
2. Not everyone is capable of rushing down valuable resources.
3. Resources are especially scarce on high pop servers.
4. Players are chaotic and in some circumstances might prefer to haul stuff around on person.
5. The chest slot is contested by 4 categories of items. Of course people are going to opt for the most useful category, and at least amulets, armor and backpacks can work together for the most part. Unlike clothing and backpacks.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, Ohan said:

extra equipment slots feels sort of like a beginner request no offense. dropping backpack for armor or amulet really is not the monstrous catastrophe that some people here are making it out to be 

i only ever use a thermal and a hat without burning trees to heat thermal and i cant say ive ever ran into any issues. 

A more interesting suggestion i think would be to add a few inventory slots to body clothing like +- 4. 

But what if you don't have a thermal, a hat, and the only established base is on the other side of the map or simply unknown to you? You know the amount of time it takes to make campfires, not to mention the limited grass? Like I've got a decent amount of hours in this game, around 500. But that doesn't mean I can just bumble around in winter from the postern, and avoid burning trees when there's literally almost no grass or flint around. And especially when other people also need grass to make their own torches...

Just now, Cheggf said:

If you want to use clothing body slots but don't want the possibility of something being gone the next time you come back don't play on public servers. Even with a krampus sack you can't hoard everything on you.

Not everything no, but enough to have the essentials, and enough space to pick up a large variety of items when going exploring. That way you're still sorting, whilst making sure you don't have to go scrounge up new twigs every time because you left your stack at home to go cave-diving. 

Also, what if people WANT to play on public servers? There's plenty of reasons you would want to, and I don't think it's fair to gimp these players just because people that play exclusively solo or with friends don't want clothing to be changed. Because they have the luxury of using chests with the knowledge those 20 sticks you put in them will still be there when you come back. Or at the very least, be informed of such. On top of that, if you play with friends you're at least somewhat more likely to work together better and have more resources overall, further decreasing the need of personal storage on your person. 

Reasons to play on a public server.
1. Varied levels of skill available. Some people don't enjoy it if everyone hits the meta, rushes down bosses, and the game is over before the first year excluding like the celestial champion or something. And some folks like trying to keep a large group of misfits alive with their game knowledge & skill, or to teach others.
2. Competition. Some people do like scrounging for resources, having to hoard their own little stash to survive. Because others hoard, gather inefficiently, make no farms, or simply waste resources. 
3. High player count. This ties into 1 & 2 a bit, generally you can find servers with 4+ players far more easily.
4. Randomness. Public servers are a lot less predictable. You get to discover new playstyles, meet fun people.

Note, this isn't the only way to solve this problem. Things like a version of an ender chest (a chest that has the same content but can be accessed wherever one is placed. each player has their own pocket of storage others can't access in it.) More chesters. Personal chesters. Making clothing cheaper and easier to obtain. I Just think it isn't fair to dismiss what is actually a problem for quite a few players. Be they new to the game, or experienced. And said problem is part of the reason why clothing is so pointless. 

Archived