Wes Rework Technical Information

In my search I've found that his tools work 25% slower, his tools last either 25% or 33% longer (I assume they misspoke and meant 25% less durability loss, which would be 33% longer), his weight for lightning strikes is 0.6 instead of the standard 0.3 and WX's 1.0, his weight for hounds attacking him is doubled, his insulation nerf lowers his clothing value by 30 so does nothing when you don't have insulating clothes on, his hat offers 20% wetness resistance & restores 6.4 sanity over the day it lasts, his vest prevents the max health penalty from falling in the ocean but not dropped items, and his party balloons will restore 5/10/15/17.5/20 sanity over 10 seconds, depending on how many balloons and/or players are present.

But all I can find for his speed balloon is the wiki saying it "Increases player movement speed by 10%, 20% or 30% for limited time", and it has pictures for 100%, 66%, and 33% durability which seems to imply those speeds would change at the 80 and 40 second mark which goes against what people have been saying. Can someone who knows the technical aspects of his rework please verify if all the information I've found is correct, and tell me exactly how the speed balloon works? If there's anything else I missed that you'd like to add that would also be helpful to me and anyone else seeing this thread.

Thank you.

All I want to know (because I have very few friends who actually play the game) is does Wes’s ability to be more likely to be struck by lightning make him literally “Steal WX78’s Thunder?”

In other words.. Will a Wes being on a team with a WX78 make it less likely that WX gets charged by lightning bolts?

And if that IS the case can anytime a Wes player gets struck by lightning he drops a charged Balloon, which can be popped by WX78 to charge?

Without friends to test it: I am assuming Wes gets hit by lightning instead of WX now.. and that in turn hinders WX’s charge options. And also makes an “End is Nigh” spamming Wicker the thing of Wes’s nightmares.

i can say the hat and insulation, the vest and the party balloons are all correct. it does feel like hounds are more keen to focus on wes though i cannot verify by what percentage and the speedy balloon starts to lose durability the moment it made and as the balloon reaches zero the speed boost you get from holding it stops. it starts at 30% buff at full and reduces down to 0% at deflated.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

All I want to know (because I have very few friends who actually play the game) is does Wes’s ability to be more likely to be struck by lightning make him literally “Steal WX78’s Thunder?”

In other words.. Will a Wes being on a team with a WX78 make it less likely that WX gets charged by lightning bolts?

And if that IS the case can anytime a Wes player gets struck by lightning he drops a charged Balloon, which can be popped by WX78 to charge?

Without friends to test it: I am assuming Wes gets hit by lightning instead of WX now.. and that in turn hinders WX’s charge options. And also makes an “End is Nigh” spamming Wicker the thing of Wes’s nightmares.

Read op, the chances of getting hit by a lighting is less as wes than as wx

For the speedy balloon all i can say is that every time it loses air (you see that his size is reduced and it makes a fart sound) the speed bonus is reduced

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

But all I can find for his speed balloon is the wiki saying it "Increases player movement speed by 10%, 20% or 30% for limited time", and it has pictures for 100%, 66%, and 33% durability which seems to imply those speeds would change at the 80 and 40 second mark which goes against what people have been saying. Can someone who knows the technical aspects of his rework please verify if all the information I've found is correct, and tell me exactly how the speed balloon works? If there's anything else I missed that you'd like to add that would also be helpful to me and anyone else seeing this thread.

Thank you.

The speedy balloon lasts for 2 minutes and starts with a 30% speed boost when held. Every 33% durability lost(aka every 40 seconds) the speed boost deterioates by 10%, so 30% speed boost a first, then 20% speed boost when 66% durability is hit, then 10% speed boost when 33% durability is hit and finally no speed boost at all at 0% durability.

The speedy balloon can be let go and float away and it'll act simiarly to a flare having a global map icon that everyone can see appear on the map for a few seconds.

His hat protects against electric attacks, so charged volt goats will not electrocute you if you're attacking them with the hat equipped.

11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

The speedy balloon lasts for 2 minutes and starts with a 30% speed boost when held. Every 33% durability lost(aka every 40 seconds) the speed boost deterioates by 10%, so 30% speed boost a first, then 20% speed boost when 66% durability is hit, then 10% speed boost when 33% durability is hit and finally no speed boost at all at 0% durability.

The speedy balloon can be let go and float away and it'll act simiarly to a flare having a global map icon that everyone can see appear on the map for a few seconds.

His hat protects against electric attacks, so charged volt goats will not electrocute you if you're attacking them with the hat equipped.

Thank you. Does his vest share the electrical resistance that his hat does? And does his hat also protect you from lightning strikes since it's insulated?

20 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Thank you. Does his vest share the electrical resistance that his hat does? And does his hat also protect you from lightning strikes since it's insulated?

The vest does nothing except prevent drowning damage.

The hat protects from lightning strikes just like the Eyebrella, Rain Hat and Rain Coat do. And it only pops from physical damage, so any damage that is purely electric will leave it unharmed.

So you can get struck by lightning and you can attack a charged volt goat without destroying the hat. But if you get attacked by the Volt Goat, you'll be protected from the extra electric damage, but the hat will break in the process.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

his tools last either 25% or 33% longer (I assume they misspoke and meant 25% less durability loss, which would be 33% longer)

Yeah. Wes consumes 75% of a "use" to do 75% of the work/damage. So he gets 33% more uses, which is exactly how many he needs to do the same job as Wilson with wasting materials.

Also, this only applies to mining, hammering, chopping and attacking. He doesn't get extra durability with Oars or Shovels and "playing" the Strident Trident consumes the normal amount of durability for the normal amount of damage (85).

21 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

The vest does nothing except prevent drowning damage.

The hat protects from lightning strikes just like the Eyebrella, Rain Hat and Rain Coat do. And it only pops from physical damage, so any damage that is purely electric will leave it unharmed.

So you can get struck by lightning and you can attack a charged volt goat without destroying the hat. But if you get attacked by the Volt Goat, you'll be protected from the extra electric damage, but the hat will break in the process.

Yeah. Wes consumes 75% of a "use" to do 75% of the work/damage. So he gets 33% more uses, which is exactly how many he needs to do the same job as Wilson with wasting materials.

Also, this only applies to mining, hammering, chopping and attacking. He doesn't get extra durability with Oars or Shovels and "playing" the Strident Trident consumes the normal amount of durability for the normal amount of damage (85).

I find that perk very useful for freezing enemies with ice staff since cost less but the effect, as far as i experienced, is the same. I dont know about lazy explorer, i guess it still consuming 5% per use

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I find that perk very useful for freezing enemies with ice staff since cost less but the effect, as far as i experienced, is the same. I dont know about lazy explorer, i guess it still consuming 5% per use

You can tell whether you'll get extra durability from the action prompt.

If it says "Chop", "Mine", "Hammer" or "Attack", then the action will consume less durability. If it says anything else, it'll use normal durability.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

In my search I've found that his tools work 25% slower, his tools last either 25% or 33% longer (I assume they misspoke and meant 25% less durability loss, which would be 33% longer), his weight for lightning strikes is 0.6 instead of the standard 0.3 and WX's 1.0, his weight for hounds attacking him is doubled, his insulation nerf lowers his clothing value by 30 so does nothing when you don't have insulating clothes on, his hat offers 20% wetness resistance & restores 6.4 sanity over the day it lasts, his vest prevents the max health penalty from falling in the ocean but not dropped items, and his party balloons will restore 5/10/15/17.5/20 sanity over 10 seconds, depending on how many balloons and/or players are present.

Thank you.

his efficient tools usage and less efficient works balances each other, so in the end he take down the same amounts of trees with one axe as Wilson but does it longer - instead of having to chop 15 times to cut down a tree he needs to chop 20 times, but instead of losing 20% of axe he loses 15%. The balance is 0, so you wont lose resources for tools, it just takes longer to do same stuff. The same applies to wepon and damage output. One Dark Sword in his hand will deal in total 6800 (51 dmg per hit cus od his -0.75 modifier, but he is able to use it 125 times instead of 100), unlike wendy who also have -0.75 dmg modifier, he does not to craft more dark swords (wendy basicaly loses resources to craft more wepons)

5 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

One Dark Sword in his hand will deal in total 6800 (51 dmg per hit cus od his -0.75 modifier, but he is able to use it 125 times instead of 100)

It's 133, not 125.

Each swing consumes 0.75, so 100 / 0.75 = 133 uses.

8 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

his efficient tools usage and less efficient works balances each other, so in the end he take down the same amounts of trees with one axe as Wilson but does it longer - instead of having to chop 15 times to cut down a tree he needs to chop 20 times, but instead of losing 20% of axe he loses 15%. The balance is 0, so you wont lose resources for tools, it just takes longer to do same stuff. The same applies to wepon and damage output. One Dark Sword in his hand will deal in total 6800 (51 dmg per hit cus od his -0.75 modifier, but he is able to use it 125 times instead of 100),

Due to breakpoints Wes is more efficient than normal against a lot of things, bosses exempt of course. A dark sword will twoshot spiders and threeshot hounds whether it's 51 or 68 so he can kill 33% more of those animals. Tool use is apparently similar to a much smaller extent, Misuto says he can get 20.6 logs per flint axe instead of 20 if he's chopping medium trees.

8 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

unlike wendy who also have -0.75 dmg modifier, he does not to craft more dark swords (wendy basicaly loses resources to craft more wepons)

Wendy does 1.155x damage, not 0.75x. Wendy has not done 0.75x damage ever since her rework.

Well except againt shadows, I guess.

Just now, Cheggf said:

Wendy does 1.155x damage, not 0.75x. Wendy has not done 0.75x damage ever since her rework.

dont inculde abigal omg, we are talking about character dmg modifiers, not other buffs. wes also does more damage with chilli flakes

1 minute ago, Parusoid said:

dont inculde abigal omg, we are talking about character dmg modifiers, not other buffs. wes also does more damage with chilli flakes

If Wes spawned with an infinite use chili flakes in his pocket I guess that comparison would make sense. If your comparison is characters intentionally gimping themselves for no reason why didn't you use 0 hunger Wolfgang instead? He's 0.5x!

whatever dude, u asked for technical information, i gave you it you
dmg mod - 0.75
efficient usage mod +0.25
efficient work mod -0.75

in theory everything balances each other out, whatever min maxing obsession you want to apply to it, its up to @Cheggf

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Due to breakpoints Wes is more efficient than normal against a lot of things, bosses exempt of course. A dark sword will twoshot spiders and threeshot hounds whether it's 51 or 68 so he can kill 33% more of those animals. Tool use is apparently similar to a much smaller extent, Misuto says he can get 20.6 logs per flint axe instead of 20 if he's chopping medium trees.

Well except againt shadows, I guess.

Then you will need to include every point of damage that abi deals since that buff of damage comes with abi dealing damage which have no sense when we try to compare how wes works. And ofc it wont be 1.155 since the damage, adding abi damage at night, almost doubles raw wendy damage

Wendy, or whatever 0.75 damage character, needs more dark swords than wes to kill spiders and hounds

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Then you will need to include every point of damage that abi deals since that buff of damage comes with abi dealing damage which have no sense when we try to compare how wes works. And ofc it wont be 1.155 since the damage, adding abi damage at night, almost doubles raw wendy damage

Wendy, or whatever 0.75 damage character, needs more dark swords than wes to kill spiders and hounds

Most characters need more dark swords than Wes to kill spiders and hounds.

So basically Wes is not that bad fighting lesser mobs really, and dark sword wielding Wes is not wasteful even if he uses it against bosses (although he will lose more sanity from it). Good to know!

I’d assume using a thulecite club could be somewhat good on Wes since it’s already very long lasting and the tentacle damage is not reduced, therefore he will have more chances to spawn tentacles and deal shadow tentacle damage. Another good thing would be the bat-bat, since he will consume less uses to restore hp and he has a tiny HP pool to restore anyway.

Are you sure the hat gives 6.4 sanity/minute? That’s almost like a tam o-shatter and at night it didn’t feel like it was winning the night drain, at least for Wes. Or is it that it works differently if you equip it being Wes and not being Wes? Because I only tried it on Wes and it felt more like 3.3, like a top hat.  If it’s 6.4 on other players then it’s an amazing tool for other players to have early game if they are struggling with sanity, before the first winter.

I think the speedy baloon is meant to be a boost for fights before you get the cane, and not so much for exploring the map given how little it lasts. Tthe speedy baloon is probably very good for Wolfgang or Wormwood during fights before the first winter, as they can probably add a hit or 2 per kite to some fights with the baloon + their natural speed bonuses.

Also since the “hounds summoning” in the caves always gets Depth Worms, does his attraction work in depth worms waves in the caves? It may have been a coincidence but the times I fought with a Wes in the caves the waves he always had a lot more worms with himself than me.

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

So basically Wes is not that bad fighting lesser mobs really, and dark sword wielding Wes is not wasteful even if he uses it against bosses (although he will lose more sanity from it). Good to know!

Yeah Wes isn't that bad at fighting lesser creatures, especially if you offset his penalty with stronger weapons. While Wes can kill spiders & hounds in 2 & 3 hits like everyone else while using a dark sword, he needs to use a dark sword while another character might be able to get away with something like a tentacle spike or ham bat. His damage penalty means that anything less than a dark sword, even a perfectly fresh ham bat, will not be able to twoshot spiders or threeshot hounds.

But his dark swords effectively lasting 33% longer than other characters offsets the cost of using dark swords on weak mobs like that, so it all works out.

Are you sure the hat gives 6.4 sanity/minute?

No it's 6.4 over the day it lasts. It's only 0.8 per minute. Since it costs 5 to craft it barely gives any at all.

Also since the “hounds summoning” in the caves always gets Depth Worms, does his attraction work in depth worms waves in the caves?

A great question, hope someone has the answer.

Also since the “hounds summoning” in the caves always gets Depth Worms, does his attraction work in depth worms waves in the caves? It may have been a coincidence but the times I fought with a Wes in the caves the waves he always had a lot more worms with himself than me.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

A great question, hope someone has the answer.

Yes his attraction works the same for depth worms.

Archived