inconsistent ruins generation

After few maps i have notice a great difference between how the ruins are generated. From a ruins with many resources and the need of spending many days farming and exploring them to little ones with loot enough to make happy a solo player. As i said, for a solo player i have never experience a lack of ruins gear in the 1st round (maybe some lack of certain gem but for that there is DF) and the maps with my friends, thankfully, give us many things to expend time without reseting ruins or making green gems shenanigans to get thulecite (i dont even mention the archives moths since that is too time consuming and sometimes only 1 is generated in the world gen (they added the option to change how often they respawn but not the ability to increase their number (who the hell will kill them for morsels?))). This comes because in one of my solo worlds the ruins are too tiny, for me is ok, i would like to dont be forced to reset the ruins that often but not a big deal but imagine that little ruins with more than 2 players, will be a little boring to clean it in few days and share a poor loot

caves are already empty of interesting stuff in comparation to the surface (mostly because many of the things in the caves can be found in the surface) so if we have that many biomes that are never visited we add a few steps ruins the experience become less fun imo

compare this juicy ruins that brings fun for many hours

Spoiler

322330_20210326173439_1.thumb.png.988ef0eda9e81245f85415c8f9a3a435.png

image.thumb.png.f2cd72d729aa75779481d5c497b11fff.png

(this one has only discovered the labyrinth entrance but you can get an idea of how big the ruins are)

322330_20210326172201_1.thumb.png.da3d5be3a641720c116184389709bdae.png

(this also gave me always +8 green gems per clean)

with this tiny ruins

322330_20210326172930_1.thumb.png.4f00a16a86c6918f7feea834ec6d759f.png

this wasnt to cry about world gen but more like to know your opinions and experience about this since all my worlds with friends had regular or big ruins but i have experience many times tiny ruins but was solo so i didnt notice that much but maybe some of you have experience this bad cave world gens with many people sharing the loot

I usually play on small worlds, but even when I play in huge worlds I see lots of empty spaces or just bad ruins generation with almost no statues, Thulecite is a pain to get in my main world, gears I get 1 stack per ruins clearing so I guess it's fine since I play solo 

There are definitely inconsistencies with ruins gems for sure. In fact, one of the reasons I ruins rush in my solo worlds is to know how large my ruins are early on. If the ruins are super tiny, I find it better to simply restart and look for something else, especially since the world you have can’t be changed later on unless you do file changing.

For reference, especially important areas include how big the military biomes is, how many 8 ancient statue + 2 Bishop ares you get (1-3 has been what I’ve seen, averaging 2) areas with 2 statues + broken station (1-4, usually averaging out to 2), and how many broken clockworks areas you get (there’s usually a fair amount, but I’ve seen worlds with as little as 3 before).

Its definitely an odd gamble for sure, especially since it will determine how much loot you get per regen for the rest of the world.

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

In fact, one of the reasons I ruins rush in my solo worlds is to know how large my ruins are early on. If the ruins are super tiny, I find it better to simply restart and look for something else, especially since the world you have can’t be changed later on unless you do file changing

I almost regen the world from the 1st screenshot because i didnt expect to have another branch that far away. The branch i discover didnt have much loot, with both is just too much

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

Its definitely an odd gamble for sure, especially since it will determine how much loot you get per regen for the rest of the world.

Totally. I needed to reset many times the tiny ruins to get an amount of loot similar to the ruins from the screenshot were i get too much green gems with the addition of needing to fight more often df to get gems. Meanwhile in the lucky green gems world i dont even fight her outside of for fun because is stupid how much loot you can get per reset

Small ruins can be a pain. While recently I got a quite fine map (entry exactly between ruins, entrance to atrium and impressive grotto), my ruins lack in many areas except wilds (the labiryth is just 1/4 or 1/5 of labiryth I used to, most areas are 2-3 times smaller and had many empty corridors. Oh, and a sad chest in middle of abyss). At this point I wish to have spread of some small posts and little villages there and here around map, at least i would have a reason to visit all other places around map. Also feels a bit "not even worth" to reset ruins, as loot from DF is easier and more regular.

I just make sure my ruins will be as big as they can from edited world gen, there's mods to do it so I would recommand you to not try risky gambles with default ruins generation or worldgen in general especially if you plan to play for a long time, better to have near all the odds on your side so you can have fun.
Since I've been doing that I never got bad ruins, well except that one time they were completely empty but that's another story (and yet I don't think this bug is fixed cause I got something similar with archives recently)

20 minutes ago, ADM said:

well except that one time they were completely empty but that's another story (and yet I don't think this bug is fixed cause I got something similar with archives recently)

Yeah I don't think that has been fixed (I've had it twice). That's another thing with the Ruins and the Archives, sometimes you get nothing in the first place.

Yes they can vary greatly, but I'm more of a fan of compact rich ruins than huge branches, but this is all a case of preference. I like resetting a lot, so for me atrium gen is more important than ruins gen, esp since you can't jump there on console, you have to use the tentacle.

In my ongoing world I only have a single 8 statues 2 bishop room, and probably not an amazing ruins gen in general, but I still get 30-35 thule per clearing and that's more than enough for me. I also want to light it all up eventually, and compact ruins helps with that :D 

Archived