Nuclear waste as thermal transfer fluid?

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

It doesn't seem to stay in a container... either reservoir or metal refinery.. :?

Hide contents

For me, it spills out on a specific time of cycle. Is it not supposed to be stored..?   

Can it be used in pipe loops without it spilling out?

Just now, The Plum Gate said:

Can it be used in pipe loops without it spilling out?

Ehmm... Maybe..? I wouldn't trust it to stay put though :P

Also there is a chance we are still missing some buildings to take care of it

It seems it can stay in pipes just fine

waste5.png.77bb4beb584cbab45147905c12cecd29.png

but...

:-o :!: :?: What is that counter going down...?!

Spoiler

*mopped nuclear waste "bottles"

waste_1.png.9bb6157586194310cfe8aafa32b7d261.png

waste_2.png.281f11e8598c4dfa63d7cca73c12d88b.png

waste_3.png.cc1b1da2b26a192287fb0ae3a7d8c0b0.png

waste_4.png.9bc8bb55adaee53c8d4ed47bb12ab2b3.png

waste_5.png.d8fc00efd31df618d732b3d7da3983cb.png

Maybe nuclear waste won't stay in any container ever...

Spoiler
55 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Maybe nuclear waste won't stay in any container ever...

There goes my bug report down the drain.  I vote for specialty made containment drums in lieu of current viable options. Or just vent it into space if unwanted (it doesn't freeze either so that scraps the possibility of freezing and using storage containers/ infinite piles of the stuff.)

Edit: Thanks @sakura_sk for the clarification. I've been stuck on a vanilla build for several "cycles" now so there's been minimal interaction with the latest rad release.

2 minutes ago, JRup said:

it doesn't freeze either

:lol: You need to test the update...

Yes. It freezes now. I don't know if it is listed in storage containers though..

Spoiler

Solid nuclear waste "Added Solid Nuclear Waste, temporarily using Radium's artwork" [update 455425]

681671556_solidnuclearwastewithwings.thumb.png.e549c0ffb3b048e693adff7f927a054a.png

Mine has wings too! :-D

1 minute ago, sakura_sk said:

:lol: You need to test the update...

Don't we all?

59 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Also there is a chance we are still missing some buildings to take care of it

It seems it can stay in pipes just fine

waste5.png.77bb4beb584cbab45147905c12cecd29.png

Does it stay put in non-looped / stationary pipes? If so, then I welcome super-coolant's green cousin.

Also, buildings that process this (and depleted uranium, for example) could re-purpose the existing radbolt buildings for uses beyond research...

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

What is that counter going down...?!

Oh this is interesting!

I haven't gotten to the nuclear waste piles left by the Beetas yet, but am considering using it in dwelling loops. So I'll just have to leave it stationary and find out.

..at some point.

I thought the stuff was going to be radioactive.

9 hours ago, marioespinho said:

Yea, but in a cooling loop it is, supposably, coming in and going out, so it wouldn't really be contained.

Nope!

Spoiler

Reservoir goes "nope!" after a cycle has passed :lol:

1282649099_reservoirwaste.JPG.e5073814fb9ab203474d87edad886696.JPG   1739269708_reservoirwaste2.JPG.86967ac94a9f79a1c6e31caf483cb286.JPG

It seems to stay put only in pipes but I haven't tested enough to be completely sure even for that..

As you guys found, I think any building should probably eject waste as liquid, because building contents are kind of just debris. And pipes are fine - even when not flowing - as their contents are not debris.

I tried to cycle two reservoirs between empty and partially filled to try to reset the internal debris timer on nuclear waste but wasn't successful yet. If you want a reservoir, you should probably build a tank out of tiles and keep pumping it.

Each debris pile (including building contents) seem to have its own timer, so it's not at a specific time of day that debris will decay, but likely x amount of seconds after spawning. If you figure out this timer, you might be able to have a timed reservoir system that ejects at 0kg.

Waste is really viscous. It's happy to sit at 85kg in one tile without flowing. It's denser than naphtha, so you could have 85kg of waste below 30kg of naphtha for a thermally stable liquid lock. 1472kg is the threshold for liquid to become a solid tile when freezing.

Aquatuner loops are okay as long you don't use a reservoir building. I'm having trouble getting the aquatuner to bug out and store 10kg of liquid, so as long as it doesn't do that it should be safe. It's a little sad that the freezing point is so high, and that we can't use it as a refinery coolant.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

It's denser than naphtha, so you could have 85kg of waste below 30kg of naphtha for a thermally stable liquid lock.

Ah yes, a thermally stable, radioactive, liquid lock; what could go wrong? :P

On 3/15/2021 at 6:25 AM, nakomaru said:

I tried to cycle two reservoirs between empty and partially filled to try to reset the internal debris timer on nuclear waste but wasn't successful yet. If you want a reservoir, you should probably build a tank out of tiles and keep pumping it.

Each debris pile (including building contents) seem to have its own timer, so it's not at a specific time of day that debris will decay, but likely x amount of seconds after spawning. If you figure out this timer, you might be able to have a timed reservoir system that ejects at 0kg.

The rules seem to be that when you put nuclear waste in a building (i.e. a reservoir) it starts a 1 cycle countdown.  At the end of that countdown any nuclear waste in the building is ejected.  Emptying the building does not reset this timer.  Putting nuclear waste in an empty building with an active countdown does not reset the timer.  After the countdown has expired (whether there was any waste in the building or not), the next time nuclear wasted is put in the building a new countdown is started.

Based on this you should be able to cycle nuclear waste between few reservoirs forever without it spilling.  I've done it manually with two reservoirs to prove to myself it works, but haven't figured out any convenient automation. 

It's a neat challenge, but complicated enough you're probably better off storing it in a pit and putting a sump pump under any building with nuclear waste in it

9 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The rules seem to be that when you put nuclear waste in a building (i.e. a reservoir) it starts a 1 cycle countdown.  At the end of that countdown any nuclear waste in the building is ejected.  Emptying the building does not reset this timer.  Putting nuclear waste in an empty building with an active countdown does not reset the timer.  After the countdown has expired (whether there was any waste in the building or not), the next time nuclear wasted is put in the building a new countdown is started.

I think it's a bug to be honest.  It makes sense for bottles but not for buildings like reservoirs.  I've had waste leaked out of aquatuners when there's no pipe breakage...That's just plain stupid.

I had a similar thing happen with the glass forge. No idea what that was all about.

Has there been any change to the flighty nature of it? I was considering a using a flip flop timer to manage a 400kg dose via a snaking pipe.

Putting this high temperature nuclear waste into motion to melt cold biomes seems like a fair play considering its specific heat. It should be a good liquid to sink heat into from other closed sources. I can imagine an intermediate chamber of it to help mitigate some of the thermal variations in some of the smaller systems.

At one point I was considering using phosphorous in my metal refinery and simply maintaining the 44c or so thats required to keep it a liquid. Not a problem at all. And it has a large liquid temperature range.

It can be re - melted rather easily once it's transformed from phosphorite...though the conductivity isn't spectacular, its being arbitrarily imbued with heat in the refinery so having a mediocre to low specific heat would return it to a working temperature faster - is my logic here correct in thinking this?

Obviously thermal conductivity matters when looking at time-to-reuse. But there's also something to be said about the use of common materials mid game due to their abundance.

Archived