Please don't make drops Twitch Partner exclusive

Please don't make drops Twitch Partner exclusive

Some other games like Sea of Thieves handle it this way that only Partners can participate, so it's not completely out of touch with reality to make an assumption like that. 

I know it's kinda random and unprofessional but I just have to let it out at this point before I mentally spiral down further and further. This pressure of not knowing what's going to happen and fearing the worst at the same time is absolutely obliterating me. 

I just would like to kindly ask Klei to make sure Twitch Affiliates will also be able to share drops with their viewers in the future. I adore this game and I put 4000 hours into it, it's my creative outlet. I built my hole community around it. I haven't been as passionate about anything else as much the past couple of years as with DST, and it would just break my heart if I don't have a future with this anymore. 

It's also not just about me, there is a lot of other affiliates that would suffer from a possible outcome like this as well. And it would prevent any future creators to ever get a foothold in the DST Twitch category.

Thank you for your time and please consider making it affiliate inclusive when the new system is ready.

I would probably leave twitch and ignore the drops, since I don't like the big and crowded partnership streamers as much as the smaller ones. I hope it's never going to go that direction :o

Also, I think it would take away the possibilities to grow for these smaller streamers. Almost everyone would visit the already established streamers in the catagory to get drops, instead of discovering new and fresh streamers. Small ones deserve their fair chance of supporting viewers! :)

3 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I'm not much into streams, what are "Twitch Partner exclusive" drops?

You can be either Partner or Affiliate on Twitch, Partners are basically streamers than have a viewer average of more than 75 viewers over a long period of time, whereas Affiliates are below that and thus don't have as big of an audience.

Before the drop hiatus the category had approximately 4000-5000 average viewers at a time. Now, without the drops it tends to be inbetween 200-500 and even though this might make it seem like people don't really care about watching streams and only go there for the drops, that is only true at the surface. A big chunk of those viewers actually end up noticing that they like twitch, or enjoy watching some people's streams and hang around beyond just wanting to obtain the drops.

As far as I am aware, I don't think there's going to be any changes "a la sea of theives" style to drops. 

They've always been a part of community building and have helped a good number of us build up our brands (myself included). It would be counter to everything we've seen Klei do already, especially being a community focused studio. 

So as far as I know we shouldn't have anything to worry about right now when it comes to drops being available to everyone who streams and has it enabled.

Besides, if that changes, how will I get to have fun dropping large raids on streamers with drops enabled and getting to meet all the new friends I've found? ;)

As a streamer who got Twitch partner by the drops on this category I think Twitch partner exclusive would also be bad for the community. However I think we all know the drops got exploited very fast. As a person who is not able to stream for 8+ hours at a time, I found myself not able to compete anymore when new drops are on. I am honest when I say this I used to stream don't starve and only this until I no longer could handle nothing being done about the 24/7 drops. I am finally happy and hopeful that maybe something will be done about this. Drops should be fair to everyone not just those who can benefit themselves from it. It should be a community thing that klei offers to everyone and everyone has a chance to spread the love and support. I truly think in order to avoid future problems drops should be an apply basis not exclusive to twitch partners but once you apply klei would know you read the rules and understand breaking these rules results in a full ban from drops in the future. The category has lost some really good streamers because of this and if it gets shut down and re opens the same way we're basically not getting anywhere. 

In the end its up to klei what they want to do in a perfect world I believe in order for drops to work users should have a limit per streamer in order to share the love. What I mean by this is 2 hours in 3 streams or 1 hour in six different streams. It would get away from 24/7 streaming and promote every channel equally no more afking in a single stream for a drop. 

If all the streamers are about sharing support for each other the this should not be a problem. Small streamers should not have to hope to get raided in order to make it to the top of the category so people see them they should be give the opportunity. 

As someone who has come to feel indifferent with the drop system I think a bit of tweaking can go a long way. Before you say I hate this idea it would get my viewers out of my channel and to other streamers. This happens regardless if you are not streaming someone is most likely idling to get the drop hours in, and if someone truly loves your community they will return. 

Let's stop being like everywhere else on twitch where the top benefit and the people below pick up whatever scraps they can. Make a category that helps everyone. This is my opinion and I doubt it will happen but this is the best option I have seen. 

TLDR I agree no twitch partner exclusive, find a way to prevent abusing the system. Help small streamers by limited drop time per channel to an hour promoting every channel that streams in dst. 

Hope to see an improvement. I really miss this category a lot. 

I doubt that we will even get a Partner Program, which i still think would be the best way of avoiding people exploting the category and drops, but i absolutely agree that being a Twitch Partner should never be a requirement. There are plenty of people who play the game Drops or no Drops, partnered or not partnered and those should have a chance to get the Drops. 

With that said the Sea of Thieves Partner program doesnt require you to be a Partner, in fact, a lot of the SoT streamers got partnered after getting into their partner program. 

As someone who has raided and continues to raid a lot new and non partnered streamers, specially finding some streamers with only 2 viewers who are experiencing dst for the first time, i know how much impact a boost in viewership can make, but at the same time, drops available to everyone the way it was will create the same kind problems with it.

In the end that will most likely continue to happen, view botters will continue to exploit the system, twitch will keep not doing anything because the category is not big enough for them to care, and streamers who left or gave up on DST because of it will continue to stay out of it and more will join them.

I can say with 100% clear mind, if DST category will ever be exploited the way it was, i will stand agaisnt it . I will refuse to help even further giving projection to people who really show they only care about the game because of it's drops. 
Either have a system to avoid people exploiting drops and bringing bad rep to the category and other streamers or just don't have drops at all.
And this is coming for someone who despite being partnered before drops, got a huge boost of growth from drops. Still what was happenning was too much and i will not want to be part of it again.

Best Regards,

Glermz.

25 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

Either have a system to avoid peopl exploiting drops and bringing bad rep to the category and other streamers or just don't have drops at all.

What does that mean, "people exploiting drops"?

Streamers that AFK purely for "stream leechers" (aka people that don't actually watch or care for a Twitch stream and just AFK-tab in browser doing something else on PC/idle PC) or the actual "stream leechers"?

Because the latter is actually a wider "problem" with people and gaining interest where is none to begin with - or rather not for the primary provided service. In marketing is a valid tactic to "bait" people into subscribing to newsletters/data bases via contests with the illusive promise of a prize. Same here: streamer gets "artificially inflated" views for the monetization perspective (going past a certain limit for advertisements to run on their channel) and AFK "stream leechers" get their prize(s) - skins. Win-win. Now depends how many of the "leechers" streamer may convert into subscribers/fans. I reckon for vast majority of "stream leechers" is a (very-very small) matter of chance: if, in the small windows they actually pay attention to streams, something catches their attention or not - and that depends, as little as it may, on the entertaining value/potential of streamer. At least having "stream leechers" represents a perspective for conversion. Is not "organic", but still: a valid tactic even if, morally, borders on a "scummy" line - same as mentioned "subscribe for prize" policy.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

What does that mean, "people exploiting drops"?

a) 24/7 streamers for months. 
b) Viewbotting hundreds, in some cases a thousand viewers, to be able to be the number #1 and get the foot traffic of people who just want to get the skin.
c) Using a & b to be able to spam ad's on cooldown.

These were problems other categories, Valorant & LoL faced that made twitch take action and enforce it. But since DST is not of that magnitude, no action from Twitch as ever occured, so this continued to be the case for an entire year. 
Just like those categories were getting associated with just being an Ad fest, VOD fest & Viewbot fest, those are now associated with DST category which led many to not stay and kept preventing many to come.

Not even going to mentioned the rest because it's not game/drop related. 

44 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

a) 24/7 streamers for months. 
b) Viewbotting hundreds, in some cases a thousand viewers, to be able to be the number #1 and get the foot traffic of people who just want to get the skin.
c) Using a & b to be able to spam ad's on cooldown.

Yeah, that's understandable to be a shunned-off practice. Non-stop streamers via AFK software and using bots to inflate viewership should tip any streaming service to act and remedy such issue.

3 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Yeah, that's understandable to be a shunned-off practice. Non-stop streamers via AFK software and using bots to inflate viewership should tip any streaming service to act and remedy such issue.

Unfortunately Twitch takes higher priorities first and by the time they get to them it is too late.

Honestly I don’t really even like this method of getting skins in the game, every month or every other month I have to spend 6 hours of my time watching twitch streams to get a cool skin for the game I enjoy playing- most the time I just do that all in one setting by letting my mobile smartphone run the stream while I continue to play Xbox or watch 3 movies that are 2 hours in length only occasionally glancing at my phone to see if the streamer is still actually streaming the games content.

Now let me state that I’ve already asked JoeW if it was okay for me to be doing this awhile back- I think he said something like he can’t really control what the people Viewing the streams does... but what he DOES NOT WANT are the actual Streamers themselves just going Idle the entire time to get the drops- And to me that sounds reasonable.

As for Me I like to experience & figure things out about the game by myself & more often then not: Actually watching the streams will spoil new content updates or worse: Be a confusing mess of what’s Modded Content, And what’s actually part of the game I’m playing.

Now I don’t know what YOU ALL use Twitch/Mixer/YouTube etc for when it comes to watching Video Game Streams: But I PERSONALLY use those Outlets to watch actual gameplay of a game I Have not yet bought, and am interested in watching gameplay of to see what it is about.

I may on very rare occasion- watch a video for a game I HAVE bought to see what I’m doing wrong in a particular part I’m stuck at or something.. but other then That- I use them to determine rather or not I want to BUY the product being streamed.

I like that NOW Klei is starting to put more and more older Twitch drops on their Klei Rewards Site so that people can get the Skins they want: And in My opinion in a Much better way of supporting the company by staying up to date with the links & news they put out.

To clarify: I have nothing against Streamers,  I sometimes silently dip into Glermz or Unortho’s streams long enough to get the drops then bounce back out- What I have a HUGE problem with however.. is Spoilers of content I want to actually experience for myself &/or false representation of the game I’m actually wanting to find out more about (such as watching a streamer that’s playing with a ton of illegitimate content provided by Mods)

I’m not entirely sure if anything I just said is even on-Topic, but I wanted to say what I felt so hopefully Mr JoeW won’t mind.

New viewers only follow the drops. And if someone doesn't have drops enabled, they won't have any new viewers

No new viewers means no new twitch partners

No new twitch partners means the community is dead in the water and only the select few partners will get any viewers and no other DST streamers will be able to grow.

my only contribution is that as a viewer i generally only see the mainstay characters being played on the channels with more than 20 viewers. frankly it is already rubbish seeing a full page of wigfrid wendy and wolfgang every single day. it is so rare to see more than the occasional woodie or wicker or willow and you pretty much never see wes or wurt or walter. perhaps it is silly speaking from the side of being a viewer and not a streamer but it seems like a really good way to further ostracize and discourage the use of most of the playable characters if you never see them being used by the people who supposedly represent the game's fanbase

Archived