[Poll] Should all damage increases effect the mounted beefalo?

Should Damage multipliers affect mounted Beefalo?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wigfrid's damage multiplier affect mounted beef damage?

2. 2. Should Warly's food buffs affect mounted beef damage?

3. 3. Should Wendy's petal buff affect mounted beef damage?

4. 4. Should Wolfgang's damage multiplier buffs affect mounted beef damage?

I think the ways damage and perks are calculated when riding are a mess, mostly by what @Sunset Skye said, the game makes a weird fusion of the character and the beefalo and thus it’s what makes the damage multipliers and skills inconsistent.

Wolfgang was already balanced about this a long time ago, his transformations make the beefalo larger and smaller, which would affect the overall speed. The beefalo was however, changed in a way that regardless of Wolfgang’s size, the output speed of the ridden beefalo is the same as if it was ridden by a Wilson.

I think to be fair, balance wise, this should apply to the other buffs that make no sense:

- Wendy should get a 10% petal debuff when mounted, instead of 45%

- Warly spices should affect the beefalo if the beefalo was fed with them. The electric damage of the volt jelly could be an exception since it’s electrical damage, and we can assume the player shares the electricity with the beef. 

- Wigfrid’s songs, mostly the healing one, should affect the beefalo instead of the player over the beefalo. The sanity songs (the protection and the regeneration) are supposed to be invigorating songs that make the player feel brave. Beefalos have no sanity stat anyway, so those should probably still affect the riders.

- Character specific extra damage or weaker damage would make no sense to pass on to the beefalo ( Wolfgang’s mighty or wimpy multipliers, Wigfrid’s bonus damage, Wes’s lower damage, or Wendy’s lower damage)

- Wortox does not seem to be powerful enough to teleport a beefalo (you need a lazy explorer cane for that which is understandable) but I see no reason why his souls wouldn’t heal the beefalo below him. Those should work on the ridden beefalo as well as himself, just as it works on 2 players nearby.

- Character specific speed boosts make no sense to pass on to the beefalo either: Wolfgang’s speed changes do not pass to the beefalo and the Wx and Wormwood’s speed boosts do not work on the beefalo, which I think it’s fine. However Webber passes to the beefalo his skill to run at normal speed over webbing, and Wurt gets the speed boost over swamp turf when riding. Those 2 boosts should probably go.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

- Character specific speed boosts make no sense to pass on to the beefalo either: Wolfgang’s speed changes do not pass to the beefalo

From what I remember, the speed actually passes on. I'm not sure however, I might be misremembering things. 

9 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Yeah from what I know the beefalo and character are merged together when you get on, then separated when you get off. Kind of like SW boats.

Land water shoes! Pog

Jokes aside, I don't think the beefalos should be affected by player specific damage increases. What @Toros and @ShadowDuelist said, basically, no need to repeat myself.

Nope, definitely not. Maybe the petals debuff at the standard 10% and maybe Warly food if fed to the animal itself but the rest make no sense.

P.S. why is Wolfgang at only 12.5% while Wigfrid is at 29%? They are basically the same. Is it because Wolfgang is the evil bogeyman while Wigfrid is an innocent little angel?

39 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Nope, definitely not. Maybe the petals debuff at the standard 10% and maybe Warly food if fed to the animal itself but the rest make no sense.

P.S. why is Wolfgang at only 12.5% while Wigfrid is at 29%? They are basically the same. Is it because Wolfgang is the evil bogeyman while Wigfrid is an innocent little angel?

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the votes some people want Warly's buff removed but feel Wendy's 1.54 makes sense. 

I kinda added Wolfgang late but I don't think it would of made a difference.  I don't think much will be done about it now that I know they would have to recode how mounted beefs work. 

:wilsontea:

8 hours ago, BezKa said:

From what I remember, the speed actually passes on. I'm not sure however, I might be misremembering things. 

You remember right. It passes, but Klei acknowledged this and made so his beefalo specifically when is smaller moves faster just enough to compensate and have “normal” speed, and when it’s larger, it moves slower to compensate and still move normal.

So the result is that no matter in which state Wolfgang is, the beefalo will move at the corresponding speed of the tendency+saddle, just as if it was ridden by anyone else.

My suggestions revolve around exporting this “balance” to the other characters as well, I mean if they did it with Wolf why not with the others? It is cool that some characters will have different skills when riding but many mechanics now seem like oversights more than skills.

Archived