What do you think of Walter's slingshot

Personally I would lower Walter's health to 100 (he is a frail hypochondriac child after all) and give his ammo new values:

Poop Ammo -> 17 damage + AoE distraction.
Stone Ammo -> 34 damage. 
Gold Ammo -> 51 damage.
Marble Ammo -> 68 damage.
Freeze Ammo -> 68 damage + freeze.
Slowing Ammo -> 68 damage + slowing.
Thulecite Ammo -> 102 damage + probability to summon shadow tentacles.

image.png.4da4f9f4057f154ab5c6d55d11db52cc.png

9 hours ago, A random guy said:

I think the slingshot its way too slow,with the marble rounds having less DPS than a spear.

upping the damage of them is a bad idea,but i'd say maybe making them a bit faster will be of great use,since Walter's downsides discourage the use of melee combat,i'd say he atleast should be able to defend himself.

Yea i didn't think they'd go for touching the speed so I went for damage but yea I do wish they'd at the bare minimum half the time it takes for him to fire his slingshot I'm not asking for the slingshot to be a super weapon just a weapon that's useful in actual combat.

Will be silly if he was able to do good dps with the sligshot. Its a range weapon which means damage with no danger. For that reason darts are so grindy, they broke the difficulty of fights but are good for doing extra damage without being hit.

Ofc if you know how to kite they become much less useful but there is players without X.000 hours of experience

O remember using fire dart to fight deerclops when i was noob and it worked pretty well, now i wont even craft them but that doesnt mean it should be buffed

Same happens with walter, isnt a main weapon. Is true that, with his downside, he seems to make you want to use range weapon but if klei buff it will become some wheeler kind of character that will no need to kite to kill melee enemies (90% of the enemies are melee) so it will become playing as him so silly like we already see with wheeler

Is true that for playing solo is so weak but again, try it with people, isnt a game breaking mechanic but become way more useful and fun

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Will be silly if he was able to do good dps with the sligshot. Its a range weapon which means damage with no danger. For that reason darts are so grindy, they broke the difficulty of fights but are good for doing extra damage without being hit.

Ofc if you know how to kite they become much less useful but there is players without X.000 hours of experience

O remember using fire dart to fight deerclops when i was noob and it worked pretty well, now i wont even craft them but that doesnt mean it should be buffed

Same happens with walter, isnt a main weapon. Is true that, with his downside, he seems to make you want to use range weapon but if klei buff it will become some wheeler kind of character that will no need to kite to kill melee enemies (90% of the enemies are melee) so it will become playing as him so silly like we already see with wheeler

Is true that for playing solo is so weak but again, try it with people, isnt a game breaking mechanic but become way more useful and fun

But in it's current state it has no use in combat at all as using it is more dangerous than melee in most cases and more often than not I've seen new players getting harmed more often trying to use it as a weapon I'm not saying it needs to be powerful but it should atleast function as a proper weapon.

29 minutes ago, Well-met said:

most people use it like it's a solo item and really want it to be a solo item

well it's not a solo item. if you're alone you smack things yourself with a hambat like everyone else

But it doesn't help as a team weapon either aside from the status effect rounds

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But it doesn't help as a team weapon either aside from the status effect rounds

of course it helps

it's uninterrupted dps, you won't get hit by the boss or have to kite. extra good if the boss does AoE.

7 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

But in it's current state it has no use in combat at all as using it is more dangerous than melee in most cases and more often than not I've seen new players getting harmed more often trying to use it as a weapon I'm not saying it needs to be powerful but it should atleast function as a proper weapon

Playing alone. Playing with people, unless all of the players have a lot of experience, works well as a support tool for changing aggro, dealing damage before getting close, stunlocking and then we have the rounds with effects

And again, im not against few buffs to the effect ammo and maybe the marble and thulecite ones (thulecite ones should be better imo just for not being able to craft them when you want) but i dont think is should be a weapon, is deeper to have it as a tool that can deal damage to support team mates

For range damage we have darts which, with walter, are easier to craft

47 minutes ago, Well-met said:

of course it helps

it's uninterrupted dps, you won't get hit by the boss or have to kite. extra good if the boss does AoE.

While i haven't used it for bossing recently when i did if my was kitting I'd pull aggro screwing up their kitting leading to taking extra damage or losing dps and even then you do alot more damage kitting and attacking then the uninterrupted once per 2 seconds attack.

47 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Playing alone. Playing with people, unless all of the players have a lot of experience, works well as a support tool for changing aggro, dealing damage before getting close, stunlocking and then we have the rounds with effects

And again, im not against few buffs to the effect ammo and maybe the marble and thulecite ones (thulecite ones should be better imo just for not being able to craft them when you want) but i dont think is should be a weapon, is deeper to have it as a tool that can deal damage to support team mates

For range damage we have darts which, with walter, are easier to craft

If it's mainly supposed to be a team support I think they need to expand on it as the only good teammate support the weapon currently gives is slow down rounds on speedy bosses.

59 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I think Wheeler is a great character, who embodies her role as a "glass cannon" well. However, I would have made some changes in her case as well: I would have given her the same inventory as the other characters (I find it very unpleasant to have less space) and a fixed speed boost of +5%; without further increases.
Also, I would have reduced the ammo on her pew-matic Horn to 6 item types:
dry grass (17 damage), twigs (34 damage), stone and flint (51 damage), gold (68 damage) and fragments of thulecite (136 damage).
I've been tweaking Hamlet a lot lately, in fact I might even have fun changing Wheeler's values a bit.
Yesterday I made the Iron Hulk a DST worthy foe with 30,000 health.

However, Walter should do more damage given how expensive his ammunition is.

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Expensive? Each piece of marble or thulecite frangment deals +500 damage. Isnt expensive, just not worth the time to spam it as main weapon

A flint spear does 34 damage per hit, for 150 hits, that's 5.100 damage... and costs 1 flint.

image.thumb.png.64c0a40a3487efbff00b02590b6bea04.png

11 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

While i haven't used it for bossing recently when i did if my was kitting I'd pull aggro screwing up their kitting leading to taking extra damage or losing dps and even then you do alot more damage kitting and attacking then the uninterrupted once per 2 seconds attack.

If it's mainly supposed to be a team support I think they need to expand on it as the only good teammate support the weapon currently gives is slow down rounds on speedy bosses.

They should buff a little the poop and slow ammo (i think the freeze ones are perfect) and include others made with other materials and effects

Like a glass one making aoe damage like the moon island spiders, others made with yellow gems for high speed dps, hound teeth with damage over time, etc

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

A flint spear does 34 damage per hit, for 150 hits, that's 5.100 damage... and costs 1 flint.

image.thumb.png.64c0a40a3487efbff00b02590b6bea04.png

But is melee damage, again

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Do you want to make walter a turret that is able to kill from distance without wasting more time ans resources than a character that needs close combat?

I only wish Walter was a ranged fighter capable of inflicting enough damage to warrant using his slingshot in a wider range of situations than getting large amounts of small meat or feathers. In almost all situations a Walter will be more useful to the team as a melee fighter than as a ranged shooter. I don't appreciate this very much.

32 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

I only wish Walter was a ranged fighter capable of inflicting enough damage to warrant using his slingshot in a wider range of situations than getting large amounts of small meat or feathers. In almost all situations a Walter will be more useful to the team as a melee fighter than as a ranged shooter. I don't appreciate this very much.

You are right but i think is more fun and deep having more kind of ammo with diferent effects to make combat more diverse since, unfortunately, all enemies in dont starve are melee except 2 or 3

What i dont understand is why klei made with slingshot working like a melee weapon. I mean, you dont have to aim and having a ranged weapon that aims automatic, just pressing F, is way less fun and limits how strong you can make it, than a ranged weapon that you need to aim. I would prefer a stronger slingshot but with skillshot like how the forge skills works

21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You are right but i think is more fun and deep having more kind of ammo with diferent effects to make combat more diverse since, unfortunately, all enemies in dont starve are melee except 2 or 3

What i dont understand is why klei made with slingshot working like a melee weapon. I mean, you dont have to aim and having a ranged weapon that aims automatic, just pressing F, is way less fun and limits how strong you can make it, than a ranged weapon that you need to aim. I would prefer a stronger slingshot but with skillshot like how the forge skills works

I would like manual aim on the slingshot too tho I feel like the ammo types we got have only the illusion of variety atm.

Cursed rounds aren't worth using

Freeze rounds are a inferior ice staff that can stack higher

Rocks are worthless

Gold is the filler ammo for when you don't have enough marbles

I enjoy the Slingshot as it is, It's not meant for lots of damage and never was meant for that. Admittedly the freeze rounds and slow down rounds do kinda stink, but the rest of the ammo is pretty great. I actually really like the thulecite slingshot ammo because thulecite fragments can be amassed. Slingshot for sailing is also pretty great, it's a bit annoying to agroo ocean mobs and the slingshot makes that job a lot easier.

51 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I enjoy the Slingshot as it is, It's not meant for lots of damage and never was meant for that. Admittedly the freeze rounds and slow down rounds do kinda stink, but the rest of the ammo is pretty great. I actually really like the thulecite slingshot ammo because thulecite fragments can be amassed. Slingshot for sailing is also pretty great, it's a bit annoying to agroo ocean mobs and the slingshot makes that job a lot easier.

But a boomerang could do the job just as well as far as aggroing and while thulecite can be amassed so can marble with less work by the end and thulecite has much better uses. I feel like the slingshot needs to have a middle ground between being not too strong but less of a novelty I understand people don't want it to be better than melee but I feel it could stand to be a proper weapon while being designed in a way that doesn't overshadow melee in it's current state it's bad for the sake of being fair which is something that no other character perk has to deal with to my knowledge.

Archived