Cleaning water with Chlorine gas?

Hello, I'm new to this game and I have a question. 

After cleaning water with the water sieve facility my cleaned water is still full of germs. Makes no sense for me but that is the way it is. I dont want my people to get sick so I was thinking about desinfecting it with gas. I spend a few hours building a reservoir and set up the pumps and vents, filled that new cave with approximately 1.9Kg of chlorine gas per square. Then I filled my sieved water inside. 

But as you can see, the germ change rate is not changed by that chlorine atmosphere at all. -26/s is about what I get if i just use a regular oxygen atmosphere. -3% 

This little bit of water with only 450K germs in it will take appro 4,5-5 real time hours to get clean.

So what can I do go get rid of that germs? Using heat to boil them to dead, is no option since my base is already too warm, even without me starting to boil something in it. 

chlorine.jpg

water.jpg

You need to have the water in a tank in Chlorine gas for this to work. The tank needs some level of water in it, just having it flow through will do nothing. Sterilizing the pwater is more effective, as the pdirt from the sieve will then be sterile too. Typically, this is done with a series of tanks (I usually use 5) or some more complicated regulator mechanism.

Think of polluted water as being muddy. You can run muddy water through a sieve to remove the dirt and make it clear, but it'll still need to be boiled before it's safe to drink.

If your base (or more specifically, your farms) is getting too hot, I'd suggest you forget about decontaminating your water for now and focus on installing a cooling system. Germs reduce your efficiency, but heat murders your base.

Additionally, germy water can safely be used in hydroponic farms, sinks and lavatories, and electrolyzers. The places you shouldn't use it are the supercomputer, metal refinery, water cooler or microbe musher. Most of these involve hand delivery, so don't put a pitcher pump in your germy water tank and you'll be fine.

I would do this: 

1. Thermally isolate the germy tank from the rest of the base

2. Have cooling loops for your base and any geysers

3. Use aquatuners to move the heat from the cooling loops into the germy water in order to boil it (and remove germs, dirt or salt from the water)

4. Slap a steam turbine on top for heat deletion

Broadly there are three ways to do this:

1.) Have at least 3 full tanks in series. This will dilute the germs as the water passes through and it will come out clean. Easy to do, but it's a lot of water sitting there

2.) Use a germ sensor to measure the output germ count. Connect a liquid shutoff to it and if there are still germs loop back the water through the tank.

3.) Put the tank on an airlock door so you can turn it on and off. An open door prevents water from leaving. Use cycle sensors to let some water in at one point (again with a shutoff) and keep in the tank for a while. It doesn't take long for it to be disinfected.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Steve8 said:

Using such a huge number of logic gates is about 10 times more complicated than it needs to be

On 1/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, Yunru said:

"Simple" 

This one's simple, been using my 'tried and true' bathroom loop on all my games

20200109075715_1.thumb.jpg.176a3207134a0d3dafae69fa5c9171d1.jpg20200109075708_1.thumb.jpg.b08297d6218c98b69ea9e3479e21a23c.jpg2.thumb.png.a00f7e47bd119dbc225e146654974c2c.png1.thumb.png.10bbc04e3831dfae0e20943fd16ace91.png

On 1/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, G315t said:

So what can I do go get rid of that germs? Using heat to boil them to dead, is no option since my base is already too warm, even without me starting to boil something in it. 

1 hour ago, Steve8 said:

Using such a huge number of logic gates is about 10 times more complicated than it needs to be

Yeah. Sure.

But it does not required power. It it small and fits in itself. And it will not fail like designs with any sensors. It is also a complete final long standing solution.

And yeah, I consider this a simple, linear logic when compare to what I used to build (or event those processors designed in ONI):

obraz.thumb.png.7a43fe4b2b9ef180ff050b1ce122ebd0.png

I like Neotuck design but I like my powerless design too.

Archived