My scrappy playstyle. The opposite of efficiency.

People keep telling me that my designs could be better, that i`m wasting resources and my bases are not sustainable. I appreciate that but it`s how i play. i use all the ineficient buildings many of you want gone and refuse to ever build. My builds are temporary but survive surprisingly long. I`m not aiming for my bases to work in closed loops. I never use infinite storage and generally avoid exploits. I felt like sharing that instead of explaining in multiple threads why am i doing something in a certain way.

My typical base runs on power saving mode for a long time. It can take up to 150 cycles before i get more than 2 coal generators and start thinking about power transformers. My lavatories never run in a loop. I usually have a water pool for germed and ungermed polluted water. I use the germed for plants or cooling. I prefer to build some sort of cooling system to keeping buildings in liquid for cooling. It just looks bad. I almost never build steam turbines, i never need them. There is usually enough power for over 600 cycles at which point the game becomes too laggy for me usually. I can dump heat into random water pockets around the map for a long time before they boil. That`s usually enough for my needs.

I like to improve my base step by step. Instead of rushing for mid/late game setups i try out the earlygame tools like the ice makers and ic-e fans. It`s not efficient but it`s fun; at least for me. This is why i don`t like when people all certain items in the game useless and want them removed or changed. I use them and they work. Not efficient but i don`t care. Eventually something in my scrappy base will break and cause problems but the it`s fun to fix those problems. I think i`d get bored if i rushed straight to fully sustainable solutions right away. This way there is always something to improve.

Anyway i`m just rambling so thanks if you read it all.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

i use all the ineficient buildings many of you want gone and refuse to ever build.

I decided to make my petro refinery setup pretty. There's so many energy sources in the game that I've yet to find the need to go "efficient" with a petroleum boiler.
269255451_Petroroom.png.25c1cd43cf47cbedd3a0a1dc67bda298.png

I still haven't used the ore scrubber at all, I'd gathered all the slime into a cold biome and let it cool down enough before finding the chlorine vents...

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I think i`d get bored if i rushed straight to fully sustainable solutions right away. This way there is always something to improve.

The save file where this comes from is a terra rock that's over 3500 cycles and I'm still figuring out stuff (as in build styles that I can call my own). I'll eventually get into ranching those moos, someday, maybe.

This is a "you do you" kind of game so there's that. So keep on building and sharing.

From where I stand, anything that works deserves respect, ONI or real engineering. So I see absolutely nothing wrong with your variant of the "good enough" approach. Also, simplicity is a primary goal of any really good design. Anything complex may look impressive, but finding complex solution is a lot easier than finding simple solutions. Simplicity is often preferable to efficiency, in particular if you have the resources something needs to run available anyways.

Amen

i love playing my game half my stuff would be laughed at while the other half would make most of your run away in terror. I'm constantly mopping up polluted water because i spill it everywhere.

But i LOVE my game. i love it because i make stuff happen, because i solved this, and got stuff done. I feel good because i did better than my last game. And in the end, thats how you should be comparing, not to others, but to your past self. did YOU do better?

I'm going to keep playing this game badly because it makes me happy to do so.

11 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

i use all the ineficient buildings many of you want gone and refuse to ever build.

Good for you. =^.^=

I've used all the buildings at some point in my play.  Don't let anyone tell you "you're doing it wrong!"  You can play this game however you chose.  It is my personal opinion that you should get creative and try different things -- but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I use many of the "inefficient" buildings routinely.  For example, Ice-E fans are great early in the game, especially if you have some ice available.  Another example: MOST of the time the refinery is perfectly adequate to my needs.  Why should I build a petrol boiler if the refinery handles my needs?  There are times, however, where I will build a boiler.  If I find that a couple of refineries is no longer giving me what I need -- or if I find that my dupes are spending too much time keeping the petrol flowing -- then I'll build a refinery.  Or if I need to conserve (or gain!) water on a dry asteroid.

Of course, I'll also build various contraptions just to see if I can.  For example, at one point I had build where I was cooling my base using nothing more than boiling water.  Of course, it doesn't work that well and takes a lot of space.. but hey, it was fun!   

Anyway, just play the way you want to and don't worry about what other people say.

Don't know the context of the replies you are receiving.  But on forums I would expect comments, critiques if I post anything. People may try to be too helpful without any indication of need by the poster.  As long as they aren't demeaning or toxic, I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

But yeah, play however you want.  

Back when the game was easier,  this was the best I can do for room cooling, devised it myself without looking online for help.

oniCL1.thumb.jpg.cc64dcd36af44637832b24df66b8b361.jpg

oniCL2.thumb.jpg.d45dbd0e5717a379801c3912d2ee494c.jpg

The game has become more difficult, and much more to manage than I want to handle for a game.  So I play creatively and mostly in DEBUG mode.  I will dabble in a No Sweat mode once in awhile.  REALLY happy KLEI added this in!

But now I do this, DEBUG the starting infrastructure,  set up enough for the base and then stop using debug and try to maintain everything.

I think I am playing the game, not the way it was intended and I don't have a problem with it.  Don't think anyone else does either.

Spoiler

oniBB.thumb.jpg.3bddb20fecc361c80abc565660f8d29b.jpg

oniEN.thumb.jpg.e02b04a9a7ee01c705bdbfe235ca0af6.jpg

8 hours ago, Olimar said:

Don't know the context of the replies you are receiving.

The context is basically the threads i`ve been commenting in where i pointed that early game isn`t just about getting to the late game as fast as possible and the early inefficient tech can work for you for a pretty long time. What i find fun is constantly improving the base by installing better tech and some people just try to skip the early phase of the game and complain about useless structures that have their place there.

The thread is a byproduct of diffeent views of how the game should be played colliding. I just wanted to relieve the emotions while sharing my personal opinion.

Just like you like to debug the necessary stuff in place to focus on designs i love the tinkering with that life supporting infrastructure instead of trying to get 100% sustainability. Both playstyles are valid as long as we both can have fun.

I would agree with you for most buildings. The one exception I have is the Oxygen Diffuser, because the Algae Terrarium is not only better, but as a first teir research option, almost as easily available. 

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

I would agree with you for most buildings. The one exception I have is the Oxygen Diffuser, because the Algae Terrarium is not only better, but as a first teir research option, almost as easily available. 

Funny, I almost never use the Terrarium. But I fully support its availability!

On 1/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, Sasza22 said:

People keep telling me that my designs could be better, that i`m wasting resources and my bases are not sustainable. I appreciate that but it`s how i play. i use all the ineficient buildings many of you want gone and refuse to ever build. My builds are temporary but survive surprisingly long. I`m not aiming for my bases to work in closed loops. I never use infinite storage and generally avoid exploits. I felt like sharing that instead of explaining in multiple threads why am i doing something in a certain way.

My typical base runs on power saving mode for a long time. It can take up to 150 cycles before i get more than 2 coal generators and start thinking about power transformers. My lavatories never run in a loop. I usually have a water pool for germed and ungermed polluted water. I use the germed for plants or cooling. I prefer to build some sort of cooling system to keeping buildings in liquid for cooling. It just looks bad. I almost never build steam turbines, i never need them. There is usually enough power for over 600 cycles at which point the game becomes too laggy for me usually. I can dump heat into random water pockets around the map for a long time before they boil. That`s usually enough for my needs.

I like to improve my base step by step. Instead of rushing for mid/late game setups i try out the earlygame tools like the ice makers and ic-e fans. It`s not efficient but it`s fun; at least for me. This is why i don`t like when people all certain items in the game useless and want them removed or changed. I use them and they work. Not efficient but i don`t care. Eventually something in my scrappy base will break and cause problems but the it`s fun to fix those problems. I think i`d get bored if i rushed straight to fully sustainable solutions right away. This way there is always something to improve.

Anyway i`m just rambling so thanks if you read it all.

You've got my full support. I don't agree with the title. 'The opposite of efficiency'? Nope, it's a different kind of efficiency.

I play in a similar way, to some extents, especially at the beginning.

In short, whenever I'm about to do something, I ask myself "do I really need to do this, and do it right now?". As an extreme example of this, I tend to build only one outhouse, and then add a second at around cycle 5, when the first one is almost full. The same goes for rooms... do I really need morale now? Not really before a few cycles. If you've chosen your dups wisely, you can assign them 2-3 skill points.

When I need something, I do care about efficiency, but also including building time in the equation, not only the result. E.g. if I need morale I build one room, the Great Hall which has the best result/effort ratio.

I find it a very efficient way of playing, which of course does not lead to the most efficient or sustainable base.

That said, we might not agree on the actual result/effort ratio of some stuff we do. E.g. I never build early game stuff if I don't have to, ending up rushing for mid-game. I use the rock crusher for the least amount of metal possible, and I build a refinery ASAP. I also rush atmosuits, maybe with algae based oxygen production. I'm quite aggressive when it comes to tech progression. I want to get fibers, refined metals, steel, petroleum, plastic, ASAP.

Our bases probably evolve very differently. I don't do any significant updates. In my current colony, cycle 250 and some dups are still using outhouses. I have idle dups, so right now I don't need to max out labor efficiency, so I don't build the extra lavatories. (OTOH, other dups are using them, for other reasons). The plan is to build an endgame base sooner or later, possibly sooner.

So there are differences in the way we play, but I definitely support having multiple definitions of efficiency.

My last, very long, playthrough was about perfection and exaggeration. I made a base with absurdly optimized builds, best dupes possible, late game builds such as sour gas boilers and rust melters which I didn't need, compressed and carved out the lava core. I went for over the top simmetry, decor and looks. When I finished, it was SO BORING.

You've inspired me to just play the freaking game and enjoy it instead of being addicted to do the best possible. Sincere thanks

Archived