What would you want the ending to look like, and how would you want to get there?

Ok so let's say Klei adds an ending to the game. I mean it seems like there's a lot of stuff that could build up to an ending. What would you want to see from a lore perspective?

I think it would be so so satisfying for our heroes to escape the constant and go home. Like they've been through hell they deserve it right?  Or do you think that would be too happy for a somewhat bleak game?

Plus it's like, what about wormwood and wurt and wortox? They are all from the constant right? They would not fit in in the real world. Like 1920s America or whenever the time period is.

I'll be honest with you all, I have 100s and 100s of hours in this game, and I still suck. So I can't give too much insight on good endgame content. But what would you all want to be the leadup to the end to look like?

Like I said, I'm out of my element here. But I was thinking, maybe there's an endgame area with altars all around. And each altar can have a marble sculpture placed on it. So to unlock the ending, you have to get all the figure sketches for everything and place them on each altar. Maybe Klei could add more figure sketches for various accomplishments or tweak existing ones or whatever. Anyways just an idea.

all the 17 survivors buffed with voltgoat jelly, chilly flakes and garlic powder, wigfrid's songs and whatever buff the non reworked characters will get, fighting against charlie and then they cross a portal than takes them to Them,but the survivors kill them too and then they leave through a portal that takes them to earth. Where they kick someones ass and they all get sentenced to death row

14 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

all the 17 survivors buffed with voltgoat jelly, chilly flakes and garlic powder, wigfrid's songs and whatever buff the non reworked characters will get, fighting against charlie and then they cross a portal than takes them to Them,but the survivors kill them too and then they leave through a portal that takes them to earth. Where they kick someones ass and they all get sentenced to death row

That will mean that this lore ark is the last one :_(

i want fight agaisnt wagstaff with his toys powered by nightmere fuel  to rescue him from his own scientific curiosity but that is just a idiot idea i had

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That will mean that this lore ark is the last one :_(

i want fight agaisnt wagstaff with his toys powered by nightmere fuel  to rescue him from his own scientific curiosity but that is just a idiot idea i had

kick ass

Since in game we can have multiply copy of same character (like 5 Wendys, 4 WX, 13 Wes....), so I rather consider, there is no real ending. It looks like, when character enters the Constant it becomes a part of Constant. So in theory one copy-Wilson may finally escape from Constant, but all other Wilsons will have to stay.... forever. One Wortox may be healed from curse, but others Wortoxes will stay as they are. Probably the only way is to destroy The Constant, but The Constant was destroyed many times (at least 5 times during adventure mode) and recreated.

Probably only true ending we will get, when "thing" that creates one after another Constants will be destroyed. Also it would be the end of DST at all...

as dark as it sounds if there was to be an 'ending' i would want it to be cylindrical. let the ones who wish to escape do so, have them make thier tearful goodbyes, let them cross over into their own timelines but after they leave have identical versions of them come into the constant fresh and new and unknowing of what their other selves learned. show that this place is a state of perpetuity and show the ones who remained from the first round understanding that they can go back but they cannot actually escape

4 hours ago, gaymime said:

as dark as it sounds if there was to be an 'ending' i would want it to be cylindrical. let the ones who wish to escape do so, have them make thier tearful goodbyes, let them cross over into their own timelines but after they leave have identical versions of them come into the constant fresh and new and unknowing of what their other selves learned. show that this place is a state of perpetuity and show the ones who remained from the first round understanding that they can go back but they cannot actually escape

I like that, something along those lines. 

For my dark opinion, I kinda want at least one person to die. I know it sounds really despicable, but Maxwell and Wilson both somehow made it out perfectly fine so far, and it gives a sense that Klei is unwilling to kill people, and therefore nothing is at stake. I'd like to see Klei show us that they are willing to do it, and it won't be "everything perfect" ending for everyone. In terms of who I can actually see dying in the story, Woodie comes to mind. Something about how distanced he is from all the other survivors, and Lucy just gives me a kind of feeling about it, as well as his celestial tribute quote. I'd like to go on further with these crazy theories but I'd be typing all day. 

Of course we haven't really gotten to the final confrontation just yet, and I am very excited to see what they have in store.

Isn’t DS/DST Klei’s most popularly widely known franchise? (I mean it would have to be considering it’s playable on almost every platform) I just can’t picture Klei killing off their biggest franchise and just ending it-

A definitive ending to DS will be the saddest day in history for Dont Starve fans: And I just don’t see that happening, not when I look at DST and see Klei’s version of GTA Online, Minecraft, Rainbow Siege- AKA: Games that continue to get updates to stay relevant rather than gets forgotten about and abandoned for the next new thing.

1 hour ago, W0l0l0 said:

I like that, something along those lines. 

For my dark opinion, I kinda want at least one person to die. I know it sounds really despicable, but Maxwell and Wilson both somehow made it out perfectly fine so far, and it gives a sense that Klei is unwilling to kill people, and therefore nothing is at stake. I'd like to see Klei show us that they are willing to do it, and it won't be "everything perfect" ending for everyone. In terms of who I can actually see dying in the story, Woodie comes to mind. Something about how distanced he is from all the other survivors, and Lucy just gives me a kind of feeling about it, as well as his celestial tribute quote. I'd like to go on further with these crazy theories but I'd be typing all day. 

Of course we haven't really gotten to the final confrontation just yet, and I am very excited to see what they have in store.

really? but wendy longs for death so dearly that every other thing she demands is it and the way she is built up she would be the most likely to go out under an oncoming wave of enemies with no intention of surviving it(and as a child she is actually not strong so is less likely to survive a battle than one of the adults). this would also close out maxwell's lineage with him as the sole survivor which is fitting as he is the one who condemned most of the survivors to death in the first place and would give him no more reason to keep kicking around excepting his own desire to live(which seems at best tenuous). it is thematically sound, anyway and it does give him an opportunity to self-sacrifice without any loose strings if such a thing was needed

though if we were just knocking someone out for the heck of it then i suppose woodie could work for the reasons you stated(shame though, i like woodie so far)

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

"words" 

Honestly, I think Wendy is too popular to die. She also kinda serves as the voice of Abigail, and having her removed cuts out a lot of potential unfinished business. Other than that half explanation, I can't really say why, but I just don't think she'll die. All just a gut feeling. Same with Woodie, just a gut feeling. Sorry I can't have a more interesting contribution. 

On an extremely personal and unrelated note, she's so miserable that her lines alone made me stop playing her. I hope they make her slightly less depressed one day. 

7 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Honestly, I think Wendy is too popular to die. She also kinda serves as the voice of Abigail, and having her removed cuts out a lot of potential unfinished business. Other than that half explanation, I can't really say why, but I just don't think she'll die. All just a gut feeling. Same with Woodie, just a gut feeling. Sorry I can't have a more interesting contribution. 

On an extremely personal and unrelated note, she's so miserable that her lines alone made me stop playing her. I hope they make her slightly less depressed one day. 

yeah, the miseryguts is why i kind of dont like playing in pubs were there are more than one or two of her.

Real talk: When Maxwell was on the nightmare throne he had no control over himself, he was just there like a puppet on a string creating things for whoever or whatever is in Charge of the Nightmare Throne whispering things into his ear, some of his in-game quotes even reference not remembering making that mob or something. During this time CHARLIE is Already the thing attacking people in the Dark, and she hasn’t sit on the throne.

Wilson comes along and he free’s Maxwell taking his place with shadow hands visibly grabbing onto him and pulling him down onto the Chair by force: but it is unclear at this time how long Wilson was trapped on the Throne or What (if Anything) he was forced into creating/learned from his time spent sitting there: Charlie who is still the nightmare creature- Wanders up on and she free’s him- but it is important to note: that Charlie only starts flipping out between wanting things to be Pretty or Spooky until AFTER she free’s Wilson- 

Even more curiously as soon as she does that she doesn’t get grabbed and thrown onto the throne by force (like we saw Wilson & Maxwell have happen to them) instead she wanders around the room flipping between wanting things to be pretty, or spooky until both sides merge into a middle ground of Pretty & Spooky & she sits on the throne peacefully (no shadows grab & drag her onto it)

Its this animation that leads me to believe that Unlike Wilson & Maxwell who had no control over what they did while on the throne, CHARLIE still maintains some degree of control over “Thems” Influence- but not enough control to escape on her own.

Charlie may end up being the answer to all of DS- she was there in the beginning as the thing that attacks you at night, and she is there now.. as the Queen of Shadows.

I got this sad feeling Charlie (or Winona) may end up sacrificing herself to be trapped in the constant forever to free everyone else.

But even that would not be just “The End” Klei can easily start a new story arch with new survivors or tell some twisted tale of everyone who has ever sat on the throne was “Duplicated” there are ways many many ways to continue the game after we reach what we assume is “The End.”

Literally already had this written in another thread. Copy pasting it here.

Also, I imagine the end of the series to go something like...

You guys know the Forge animatic, where Wigfrid charges headfirst into the arena? I feel like, for the sake of being able to still play the game even after the series ends, after so many years in the constant, they approach the portal home, and everything is so weird and unfamiliar to them. They already have a home, and, sure, it's deadly, but it's all they've known for so long, and they don't want to be separated from their dear friends. So they just... open a different portal. Different universes flash through it, different games even (references ofc., not straight up,) and the survivors get kind of excited because it's a new adventure. They all kind of pull a Wigfrid and do a full charge, spears in hand--- this weird ragtag group of people who was rejected by society (or ejected themselves) who found a home in this weird world, and, more importantly, with their fellow survivors. 

Um. I definitely have not laid in bed thinking about this. 

On 1/2/2021 at 12:29 AM, Mike23Ua said:

unclear at this time how long Wilson was trapped on the Throne

My favourite comment of all time provides the answer to that:

"He was there for less than three days because he didn't have a beard" 

Jokes aside you make a good point, I got a feeling its something to do with the "Chess" theme and that the queen is more powerful or something, but that's nothing more than a feeling. 

A normal ending would be everyone escaping the DST world fulfilling their dreams.

Maxwell would be together with Charlie and a famous magician

Wilson would be worldwide known as a genius

Webber becomes a real boy and returns to his family

Woodie is freed from his curse

Wendys sister is revived

Willow runs her own orphanage or pyrotechnic business

That kind of stuff....

I think the game should have multiple endings.

A classic, where they all escape, each character has their own unique ending

A second one where they build their own amazing community to welcome new ppl entering the DST world

And maybe a corrupted one for those who have a thing for world Domination, like invading the human world

Before all that Id love to see Easter eggs from other Klei games

More seasonal NPCs similar to that crab hermit

Underwater world similar to caves

After Charlies reign Id like to see one more ruler appear based of the origins of DST since we already have stuff in the ruins imply about it, like that big shadow guy from porcalypse event in Hamlet

I think as long the game keeps getting updated, ppl will play it at least 10 more years :D

For the non-human characters, control over the constant by them/Charlie should end, and they are free to make of the constant what they and their species will of it.
Wormwood as a guardian over the wildlife
Wurt a happy leader of the mermen
Wortox can go back to his original form

an ending to the game don't mean that we still can't play the game, and lets be honest ,there will be a time that the game will dragged , so it needs to have and ending , doesn't matter what type of ending, but i imagine like when you finish it will play a cutscene of your survivor doing the stuff of the .ending, and if it have more players, the cutscene is different or after yours finish it will play the other player cutscene,

On 1/2/2021 at 7:25 AM, Willyhoo said:

Literally already had this written in another thread. Copy pasting it here.

Also, I imagine the end of the series to go something like...

You guys know the Forge animatic, where Wigfrid charges headfirst into the arena? I feel like, for the sake of being able to still play the game even after the series ends, after so many years in the constant, they approach the portal home, and everything is so weird and unfamiliar to them. They already have a home, and, sure, it's deadly, but it's all they've known for so long, and they don't want to be separated from their dear friends. So they just... open a different portal. Different universes flash through it, different games even (references ofc., not straight up,) and the survivors get kind of excited because it's a new adventure. They all kind of pull a Wigfrid and do a full charge, spears in hand--- this weird ragtag group of people who was rejected by society (or ejected themselves) who found a home in this weird world, and, more importantly, with their fellow survivors. 

Um. I definitely have not laid in bed thinking about this. 

ngl i think this would be the best ending for several reasons.

Archived