This element seems core to the new dlc content, but it feels like there should be a vent for the stuff, or a way to make hatches make it?  atm, I'm looking at it as 'just top get the base started', and assuming I run dry later.

Petro boiling is A way to make it, but that seems severely late game, and I'm not even sure I can setup a petroleum + volcano boiler of the past.

On the other hand, the amounts I've seen so far will take me well past early times, so maybe it's ok to make infinite sucrose a later game concern?

You will find information concerning materials in the ingame database (little book icon), or the wiki if you'd like.
You can see there that sulfur can be obtained by cooling sour gas to methane. (Which can be obtained by boiling petroleum). 
You can search around for "sour gas boiler" it is a contraption that is designed to boil crude oil / petroleum into sour gas and then cool it down to methane, and then heat it up a little bit to get natural gas. The sulfur was previously a useless byproduct, but now you can feed it to your grubgrubs (and grubfruits). :) 

Hope it helped

6 minutes ago, Hokaeru said:

You will find information concerning materials in the ingame database (little book icon), or the wiki if you'd like.
You can see there that sulfur can be obtained by cooling sour gas to methane. (Which can be obtained by boiling petroleum). 
You can search around for "sour gas boiler" it is a contraption that is designed to boil crude oil / petroleum into sour gas and then cool it down to methane, and then heat it up a little bit to get natural gas. The sulfur was previously a useless byproduct, but now you can feed it to your grubgrubs (and grubfruits). :) 

Hope it helped

But you will need fullerene which doesn't appear in the asteroids we have right now. (Niobium does)

Here are my thoughts : 
- On the one hand you can create a sour gas boiler with pre-space materials (less output per sec of course), there are builds hanging around in the forums and reddit. 
- On the second hand I think it is something that makes the DLC fun, your first asteroid will be fine with sulfur for hundreds of cycle, but not eternity, and I understood the question of Tinybitquantum as "will I have to quit ranching grubgrubs when I run out of sulfur or can I find a way to keep them ?" 

2 hours ago, Galifrey1965 said:

But you will need fullerene which doesn't appear in the asteroids we have right now. (Niobium does)

Sour gas boilers without super coolant are possible, just not as efficient.  But they give so much power, efficiency isn't a huge concern.  Heat can be provided with a thermium aquatuner (or thermo regulator), or if you don't want to travel to get the niobium, you can use a volcano or even a metal refinery.  For cooling, the AETN and hydrogen thermo regulators are the easiest solutions.  Liquid methane in an AT will work to.  Or you can use super cooled water with the small packet mechanic.

2 hours ago, Galifrey1965 said:

Aha moment! Lol .. you don’t necessarily need fullerene to make methane from sour gas.. but .. what you do require is cooling hydrogen with thermo regulators. The problem here.. you would need the entire map (since dlc maps are small) to create enough heat transfer to successfully cool down sour gas. :(

btw it is very finite indeed. What you need to do is start hatch ranches for food and coal. And starve ranch the sweetles since they actually reproduce with the calories they have. The plants should be the only use for sulfur. Grubfruit preserve is a strong edible item. This also would limit how many dupes you hire.. I currently have 12 in hunger setting. It’s okay just gotta find ways to make sand non stop for the hatches. No volcanoes is a huge problem as well -.-

Oh yeah we don’t have space materials right now. Hell that is no problem.

I had petro boilers before it turned in to sour gas and before steel was a thing using heat from magma and the heat from metal geysers.  These things had solutions years ago and now we just have to remember them. 
It isn’t as clean but it is still completely doable. 

10 hours ago, misotoma said:

Aha moment! Lol .. you don’t necessarily need fullerene to make methane from sour gas.. but .. what you do require is cooling hydrogen with thermo regulators. The problem here.. you would need the entire map (since dlc maps are small) to create enough heat transfer to successfully cool down sour gas. :(

Pipe the hydrogen through aluminum radiant pipes behind aluminum metal tiles, and then use tempshift plates to absorb the heat from the sour gas to the metal tiles. Won’t take much space at all.

Tempshift plates don’t connect to radiant pipe directly, and radiant pipe to sour gas conduction is low. Tempshifting the sour gas to metal tiles (or diamond window tiles) gives the radiant piping (and the gas within) a much better end to end thermal conductivity between the hydrogen and sour gas. The bottleneck becomes between the aluminum radiant pipe and the aluminum metal tile, both with very high thermal conductivities.

17 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

Hope it helped

Petro -> sour gas -> sulfur is indeed what I was referencing in the post.  Game balance wise it might make sense to need to cycle back late game for the infinite sucrose machine.  I still think it's central enough to the dlc amt, that adding it as a byproduct to other suply chains may make sense.

Archived