Easy Klaus solo as Woodie in moose form (video)

As a Woodie main, this is the method I've come up with for killing Klaus. I decided to share it because I've seen very little discussion about this sort of thing, and imo it is also the easiest way (low skill requirement) to kill Klaus without using cheese. It is also very cheap, in this video I only used 2 moose idols and 3 healing salves.

TL;DW: I kite Klaus's first attack, tank any additional attacks, use the moose charge to dodge his spells and his bite attack and then repeat.

Thank you for sharing!

It is important to note that the video shows the fight in "laboratory conditions".
Average in-game Klaus fight forces the player to handle low temperature of Winter, darkness of long Winter nights, possible Hound attack or Deerclops' visit (not to mention obstacles like trees, boulders, land edge or Pigmen, Catcoons and Meteor Showers joining the fight out of nowhere!).

I'm not nitpicking, it's just a warning for anyone deceived it would be this clean and easy in their game.

4 hours ago, Sapientis said:

It is important to note that the video shows the fight in "laboratory conditions".

Yes absolutely, this video is just meant to show the fighting pattern of the method. The most common way this goes wrong for me in a real game is running out of sanity. You are very vulnerable to shadow creatures after transitioning from moose form to human, especially in the dark as you will lose your night vision. So it's a good idea to bring some sanity food, especially if you're playing with others because that can make things even more chaotic. Another thing I forgot to mention in the video is that in a real game, you should retreat to heal after gaining warmth from the fire spell, to avoid freezing damage.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

But why do you not dodge the spells completely? You always seem to do it after it lands

ArubaroBeefalo is right, it doesn't hurt you to stand in the spell for a little while and get a few more hits.

28 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Is Klaus to big/wide to charge through? Seems like you could avoid running in circles and deal some additional damage to Klaus if you charged through him

If you aim to the side a bit you can hit Klaus with a charge and keep going, but a charge does the same damage as a single punch, so I don't think it would make much difference.

14 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Is Klaus to big/wide to charge through? Seems like you could avoid running in circles and deal some additional damage to Klaus if you charged through him

It is actually more efficient charging though him. That is the only thing I'd suggest.

As a side note, the Weremoose always loses HP with the lava spell since the overheat is instant and his insulation prevents him from losing heat.
The freezing damage can be entirely prevented with a thermal stone in real game conditions (Which would be during winter and cold enough to carry a heated one) So you can stay over the freezing spell right until the very last second dealing damage, then charge out to avoid being frozen solid.

The whole fight is also faster and much more careless with a Jellybean effect during phase 2.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:34 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

As a side note, the Weremoose always loses HP with the lava spell since the overheat is instant and his insulation prevents him from losing heat.

EDIT: My information here is partially incorrect, see the replies below.

Actually not true, the were forms have 240 insulation against both heat and cold. Also, although a lot of people believe otherwise, there are no "negative insulators" in DST. So for example something that keeps you warm in winter (e.x. beefalo hat, or a beard) won't make you overheat faster in summer. When I first heard this I didn't believe it, so I tested it by starting a new world set to only day and only summer, once as Woodie and once as Wilson. Despite Woodie having 45 insulation against the cold, both he and Wilson took the same amount of time to overheat. Below is a quote from this wiki page: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Overheating

In Don't Starve Together, insulation mechanics differ from Don't Starve and its DLCs, affecting how Overheating and Freezing works.

From mid-Autumn to early Spring, the game prioritizes Winter insulation values and ignores Summer insulation values. This means that wearing an item meant to overcome Overheating (such as an Eyebrella) will have no effect on the player's temperature, while an item meant to overcome Freezing (such as a Beefalo Hat) will keep the player's temperature from lowering as intended.

Meanwhile, from mid-Spring to early Autumn, the game prioritizes Summer insulation values and ignores Winter insulation values. This means that wearing an item meant to overcome Overheating (such as an Eyebrella) will keep the player's temperature from raising as intended, while an item meant to overcome Freezing (such as a Beefalo Hat) will have no effect on the player's temperature.

3 minutes ago, Wambachaka said:

Actually not true, the were forms have 240 insulation against both heat and cold. Also, although a lot of people believe otherwise, there are no "negative insulators" in DST. So for example something that keeps you warm in winter (e.x. beefalo hat, or a beard) won't make you overheat faster in summer. When I first heard this I didn't believe it, so I tested it by starting a new world set to only day and only summer, once as Woodie and once as Wilson. Despite Woodie having 45 insulation against the cold, both he and Wilson took the same amount of time to overheat. Below is a quote from this wiki page: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Overheating

In Don't Starve Together, insulation mechanics differ from Don't Starve and its DLCs, affecting how Overheating and Freezing works.

From mid-Autumn to early Spring, the game prioritizes Winter insulation values and ignores Summer insulation values. This means that wearing an item meant to overcome Overheating (such as an Eyebrella) will have no effect on the player's temperature, while an item meant to overcome Freezing (such as a Beefalo Hat) will keep the player's temperature from lowering as intended.

Meanwhile, from mid-Spring to early Autumn, the game prioritizes Summer insulation values and ignores Winter insulation values. This means that wearing an item meant to overcome Overheating (such as an Eyebrella) will keep the player's temperature from raising as intended, while an item meant to overcome Freezing (such as a Beefalo Hat) will have no effect on the player's temperature.

wow and all of this years i drop my tam in the right moment summer starts

6 minutes ago, Wambachaka said:

Sorry but I’m certain of what I wrote. Let me explain why:

Normally the game values the season you are on to take into consideration more a certain insulation. Since Klaus will normally be fought in WINTER (i am not taking into account if during winter’s feast is all year long) the insulation that will be considered is the heat retention. 

the spell of both raindeers set your internal temperature at 0 instantly ( the cold one) and at 70 instantly (the heat one) and since during winter the game takes into account keeping the heat on, it will take longer for the moose to get out of the overheat situation, and thus taking constant damage of it for longer than the average joe. This is sort of compensated that the moose has 90% damage resistance to everything so the damage taken is low, but it accumulates over the fight. I normally seek to step over the freezing spell just to nullify the overheat effect.( I’ve been doing this fight since reworked woodie came out, trust me I know.)

the freezing damage however, takes into account that you probably have a heated thermal stone in you so even if you are set to 0 your stone will make you instantly get to a comfortable temperature again. And since the game does not “keep” low temperatures in winter because of insulation, you are very likely to get out of the freezing damage quickly even if you do not have a thermal stone.

Regarding your experiment let me clarify something else: As you explained correctly if you throw a Wilson and a woodie mid summer with no insulation both will overheat at the same time, because, as you mention, there are no negative values in insulation.

HOWEVER the real experiment you must do is the following: throw the same woodie and the same Wilson, both wearing a straw hat (heat insulation 60) and check which one overheats faster. Woodie is not affected when he has no insulation because opposite insulation values do not go below 0, but woodie is affected when he has overheat insulation.

The same applies to for example, wearing a Tam during summer when you have an umbrella. You are indeed substracting heat insulation from the umbrella and you will overheat faster than having just the umbrella. But wearing a Tam and nothing else, will not make you overheat faster than not having anything because you do not substract heat insulation against 0.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Sorry but I’m certain of what I wrote. Let me explain why:

Normally the game values the season you are on to take into consideration more a certain insulation. Since Klaus will normally be fought in WINTER (i am not taking into account if during winter’s feast is all year long) the insulation that will be considered is the heat retention. 

the spell of both raindeers set your internal temperature at 0 instantly ( the cold one) and at 70 instantly (the heat one) and since during winter the game takes into account keeping the heat on, it will take longer for the moose to get out of the overheat situation, and thus taking constant damage of it for longer than the average joe. This is sort of compensated that the moose has 90% damage resistance to everything so the damage taken is low, but it accumulates over the fight. I normally seek to step over the freezing spell just to nullify the overheat effect.( I’ve been doing this fight since reworked woodie came out, trust me I know.)

the freezing damage however, takes into account that you probably have a heated thermal stone in you so even if you are set to 0 your stone will make you instantly get to a comfortable temperature again. And since the game does not “keep” low temperatures in winter because of insulation, you are very likely to get out of the freezing damage quickly even if you do not have a thermal stone.

Regarding your experiment let me clarify something else: As you explained correctly if you throw a Wilson and a woodie mid summer with no insulation both will overheat at the same time, because, as you mention, there are no negative values in insulation.

HOWEVER the real experiment you must do is the following: throw the same woodie and the same Wilson, both wearing a straw hat (heat insulation 60) and check which one overheats faster. Woodie is not affected when he has no insulation because opposite insulation values do not go below 0, but woodie is affected when he has overheat insulation.

The same applies to for example, wearing a Tam during summer when you have an umbrella. You are indeed substracting heat insulation from the umbrella and you will overheat faster than having just the umbrella. But wearing a Tam and nothing else, will not make you overheat faster than not having anything because you do not substract heat insulation against 0.

Just when I thought I finally understood how insulation worked...

I did some more tests and you're right. Firstly, I misunderstood you when you said "his insulation prevents him from losing heat.", now I see you only mean it prevents him from losing heat in winter.

I re-did my old test and found the same results; Woodie and Wilson will overheat at the same time with no equipment. Then I did your proposed test, I gave them both straw hats and measured the time to overheat from 40 degrees, Wilson took 1 minute 16 seconds, and Woodie took 38 seconds. Then I did another test in winter, I overheated Woodie to 70 degrees and measured how long it took for him to drop down to 60 degrees, then I did it again but with a beefalo hat on. Without the hat, it took 25 seconds, with the hat it took 1 minute 42 seconds.

So thanks for the info, I'm glad to be proven wrong because it means I'm learning. At least now when someone says Woodie has no downsides I can respond with this. Although now I'm a little confused about how the were forms manage to have 240 insulation against heat AND cold, wouldn't they just cancel out? Somehow they don't, because the effect is obvious in-game.

25 minutes ago, Wambachaka said:

Although now I'm a little confused about how the were forms manage to have 240 insulation against heat AND cold, wouldn't they just cancel out? Somehow they don't, because the effect is obvious in-game.

I have the same doubt. I am not sure how it works entirely but what I assume because of experience is that the wereforms are a special case where the game only takes the one that is more favorable for the player depending on the season and ambient temperature (so technically you always have just one and it switches depending on the point of the year you are into, sort of)

So If I am correct what should happen is that if you fight Klaus as the moose during summer, with a cold thermal stone on you, the opposite of what happens in winter should happen EG: the freezing spell will take forever to wear out and the overheat spell will be cancelled almost immediately. But I haven’t tried that yet

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I have the same doubt. I am not sure how it works entirely but what I assume because of experience is that the wereforms are a special case where the game only takes the one that is more favorable for the player depending on the season and ambient temperature (so technically you always have just one and it switches depending on the point of the year you are into, sort of)

So If I am correct what should happen is that if you fight Klaus as the moose during summer, with a cold thermal stone on you, the opposite of what happens in winter should happen EG: the freezing spell will take forever to wear out and the overheat spell will be cancelled almost immediately. But I haven’t tried that yet

I know we're getting off-topic here but I think I have finally figured it out. I did some research and some more tests, and it seems that winter insulation will only reduce your summer insulation in the case of beards. Non-beard items with winter insulation (e.x. tam o shanter, beefalo hat) will not reduce your summer insulation, and vice versa with summer insulation in winter.

I started another test world as Wilson set to only summer and only day. I used an endothermic fire to set my temperature to 40 degrees, then walked away and measured the time to overheat (which happens at 66 degrees) while wearing various equipment. The results are displayed below in a table.

Equipment used............: Time to overheat
Nothing..........................: 25 seconds
Umbrella........................: 2 minutes 10 seconds
Umbrella + Beefalo hat..: 2 minutes 10 seconds
Straw hat.......................: 1 minute 18 seconds
Straw hat + puffy vest....: 1 minute 18 seconds

As you can see, the equipment with winter insulation had no effect, which confused me because it seemed to contradict the test which showed that Woodie in a straw hat will overheat faster than Wilson in a straw hat. So I did some googling and found this forum post: 

The poster says the same thing as my previous quote from the wiki; only one insulation value is used, depending on the season. The other one has no effect, so winter insulation will not overheat you in summer and vice versa with summer insulation. But the exception to this is beards, which will detract from your summer insulation but will not bring it below 0. This makes sense with all my test results, and it explains why Woodie's were-forms can have 240 summer and winter insulation without it cancelling out.

Archived