Yet another rework suggestion (WX-78)

I've got an idea while playing DST today.

Our soulless automaton would start the game with a new, exclusive to him item that would give him an opportunity
to pick one of three new forms in exchange for 15 gears and he would reset to "normal" WX-78 after death like he does now.

The forms would be:

1. Knight:

• 200 HP, 200 Hunger, 200 Sanity (+50, +50, +50)
  • Damage Modifier: 1.10x (+10%)
  • Speed Modifier: 1.10x (+10%)

2. Rook:

• 300 HP, 200 Hunger, 150 Sanity (+150, +50, +0)
  • Damage Modifier: 1.20x (+20%)
  • Speed Modifier: 0.80x (-20%)

3. Bishop:

• 100 HP, 150 Hunger, 300 Sanity (-50, +0, +150)
  • Damage Modifier: 0.75x (-15%)
  • Speed Modifier: 1.0x (+0%)
  • Special, ranged attack:
    • Attack Range: 6 (Same as the real Bishop)
    • Attack Damage: 51
    • Attack Speed: 4 (Same as the real Bishop)

WX-78 wouldn't upgrade his stats by eating gears of course, he will still gain HP, Hunger and Sanity tho.

WX is a clockwork, but he is in no way related to the clockworks Maxwell created. I don't like this because it doesn't fit thematically and wouldn't make sense in the lore. I do really like the upgrade system idea, they could perhaps give us some seasonal ones (two doodads and a thermal stone create an upgrade that heats WX up for the winter, and he would be able to cook things in his chassis). Stuff like that would be neat!

I think that one of the main problems with WX is the fact that he consumes alot of gears, and the fact that they are hard to obtain. I do like the upgrade system idea, but maybe have it cost something else other than gears, and to give them a utility (for example: the rook form will allow WX to do a charge attack) 

Interesting idea, but I don't know about having another character with 3 different forms, even if these are semi-permanent instead of temporary. Also, I'm not completely sure how WX-78 could build themself into an entirely new form... 

Also, if they could transform into a rook, then the Rookiebot skin wouldn't make much sense anymore. :P

I'm not completely sure what I want out of WX's rework yet, but I think rebalanced upgrades and a minor ability related to the "soulless" part could suffice. 

44 minutes ago, Malithirm said:

15 gears

I've never played Wx, at all. But that seems to be way way too expensive for something you could lose really easily. Counting the fact that world-gen doesn't always give you a load of clockworks, only somewhere between 1-2 clockwork spawns in my experiences. Which usually have 1-3 clockworks. All three only give 2 gears each (With the bonus purple gem for bishop). You could go to the ruins, but some players play without caves (For whatever reason) or are too scared/unprepared/inexperienced with the ruins.

44 minutes ago, Malithirm said:

*Form snip*

Going along with what @Wardin25 said. Rook and knight are very underwhelming, the rook charges like a bull and taking that away just gives you a...Well, defenceless clockwork. With the Knight, yes you get higher stats. But has no ability, which would prompt players to pick only bishop if the rook is not changed because the other two are otherwise useless. (Maybe Wx could do a lunge much like warrior spider for the knight). What I also don't get is why these forms have different stats for health when all 3 clockwork variants have the same amount of HP and walking speed (Which is 5).

Even with these, Wx would (In my mind) become a costly and less worth it Woodie (As Woodie already takes 3 different forms, each with its own utility).

17 minutes ago, mac and cheese said:

Also, if they could transform into a rook, then the Rookiebot skin wouldn't make much sense anymore. :P

What he said.

P.S. Wouldn't this go into Suggestions and Feedback?

1 hour ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Honestly, WX shouldn't be eating gears at all. Because that still promotes selfish WX playstyles.

Completely agree.

I'd say if anything, give him some upgrade modules that can be switched out that take 1 gear in the recipe.

They'd still need gears, but with a set amount of modules you wouldn't have them endlessly consuming them.

I think any of form change or update parts will not fit WX. He is not an engineer, he is an engine. He shouldn't able to build super fist or flying boots whatever.

But still not sure about how should update be like.

Archived