So what will be the point of Uranium?

I know, for power but it will be end-game, and in games like this can be an issue that by the time you get to end game content, you do not need it.  But I think the issue is more fundamental to the design intent of the "Spaced Out" design.  That is distributed bases.  You will have 3-4 smaller bases, each with a relatively low number of dupes and likely doing some specific tasks unique to that base.  This will mean they will be fine with solar for power.  Even your main base will have lower power needs.  I think the primary reason is each map is now so small.  Your main base is less than half the size, and will have much less "to do" since that work is being done on smaller remote bases.  

So why do I need more power?

DL/DR: small maps + smaller dupe counts per base + solar = no need to nuclear power.  Distributed labor/power does not need massive centralized power generation.

I do not think this is actually about "more". I think this is about having another energy "value chain", roughly in the same complexity of crude oil boiling for petroleum. There is strictly no need for that. In fact, you can already do hamster wheels permanently. Hence it does provide alternate solutions to explore for those that want to, but it is not in the area of things you need to do to get your base to long-term survival.

There are more possible gameplay uses for nuclear tech and radiation than just power.

I'm personally hoping for being able to use either nuclear reactions or nuclear decay to heat up things to obscene temperatures. My dream is to vaporize regolith, for all the pain it ever brought me :mad-new:

Also I expect radiation might be useful to sterilize food or water. Besides just being another root cause of dupe vomiting, adding some extra challenge/difficulty to base design/exploration. Or giving dupes mutations/super powers.

Lastly I can imagine we might get a nuclear engine for space ships.

What I would really like to see, but we have no idea if it will ever be part of the game, is seeing radiation transmute elements spontaneously.

1 minute ago, Notecja said:

Hatches digestive system always sounded to me a bit... Radioactive. How on earth they turn sand/sandstone into coal without radiation? What kind of alchemy is this? 

What happens inside the hatch... stays inside the hatch. :-D

1 hour ago, Pulstar said:

There are more possible gameplay uses for nuclear tech and radiation than just power.

Definitely.  There's already a lore entry for "Microwaved Lettuce" which you make by processing waterweed lettuce in a (still non-existant) "Gamma Ray Oven"

1 hour ago, Pulstar said:

I'm personally hoping for being able to use either nuclear reactions or nuclear decay to heat up things to obscene temperatures. My dream is to vaporize regolith, for all the pain it ever brought me :mad-new:

Also I expect radiation might be useful to sterilize food or water. Besides just being another root cause of dupe vomiting, adding some extra challenge/difficulty to base design/exploration. Or giving dupes mutations/super powers.

Lastly I can imagine we might get a nuclear engine for space ships.

What I would really like to see, but we have no idea if it will ever be part of the game, is seeing radiation transmute elements spontaneously.

There's also irradiating seeds/ eggs to get random mutations, some better some worse you don't know till you grow/hatch it.

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I do not think this is actually about "more". I think this is about having another energy "value chain", roughly in the same complexity of crude oil boiling for petroleum. There is strictly no need for that. In fact, you can already do hamster wheels permanently. Hence it does provide alternate solutions to explore for those that want to, but it is not in the area of things you need to do to get your base to long-term survival.

30kg/s crude pipe system

Remove the entire boiler/condenser/generators grants you quite a lot of FPS back.

Dear Klei please give us some late game playable thing like a generator that take 12x natgas and give 10x power. And bigger better pipes.

Also worth noting that there's a new skill in the researcher tree which unlocks a (science?) building which sounds like it's related to nuclear tech.  I could be that some of the old space materials (e.g. thermium, visco-gel) are now related to nuclear stuff, or that there is a new late-game research path which unlocks a bunch of nuclear stuff (similar to the virtual planetarium path before)

9 hours ago, Notecja said:

Hatches digestive system always sounded to me a bit... Radioactive. How on earth they turn sand/sandstone into coal without radiation? What kind of alchemy is this? 

Well this happens in nature without radiation; what's the problem?

Sure, in nature coalification takes 100 million years, but as with any chemical process you can accelerate it a billion times if you have the right catalyst; maybe Gravitas just bioengineered a really good enzyme for the hatch gut that does indeed catalyze it?

t. Chemistry degree

3 hours ago, Tsabo said:

Well this happens in nature without radiation; what's the problem?

Sure, in nature coalification takes 100 million years, but as with any chemical process you can accelerate it a billion times if you have the right catalyst; maybe Gravitas just bioengineered a really good enzyme for the hatch gut that does indeed catalyze it?

t. Chemistry degree

How you turn SiO2 into something mostly made of "C, carboneum"? Basically you get coal from organic waste, while hatches eats non-organic stuff. Your answer is invalid unless they are feed with organic stuff, but since they do it from minerals and particles which have nothing in common with coal... Like getting sugar from salt. Or getting alcohol from stone (you can from wood because this is made mostly from organic compounds, like C, O2, H2). Dont start with me there - If I were better with english, I would start with quite heavy stuff about organic and non-organic chemistry and why you cant get coal from sand. 

23 minutes ago, Notecja said:

How you turn SiO2 into something mostly made of "C, carboneum"? Basically you get coal from organic waste, while hatches eats non-organic stuff. Your answer is invalid unless they are feed with organic stuff, but since they do it from minerals and particles which have nothing in common with coal... Like getting sugar from salt. Or getting alcohol from stone (you can from wood because this is made mostly from organic compounds, like C, O2, H2). Dont start with me there - If I were better with english, I would start with quite heavy stuff about organic and non-organic chemistry and why you cant get coal from sand. 

Mea culpa. I evidently didn't read the "sand/sandstone" part very well.

Probably should have gotten that English degree rather than chemistry :dejection:

On 11/25/2020 at 7:18 AM, Notecja said:

maybe hatches are atom-manipulators?
near impossible to change atoms...

Archived