Any power source on the new map?

Hello Szczuku,

Indeed, there is no coal deposits or lumber, and as far as I know (I didn't discover all of my first planetoid), there is nos natural gas geyser.

But you can find Plug Slug, normally near your entry point. Thoses critters generate power while asleep. Just train one of your dup to catch them, put them in a room with a heavy wire and put some batteries in there too. Plug slugs will go up on a ceiling to sleep so just put a wire there.

You can see it here !

Hope this is helpful.

Edit : I forgot something important : plug slug need to be fed with copper ore or cobalt ore, so this is not a finite solution. It will help you transition into hydrogen generator and get an other solution while going on other planetoids. 

You can also go straight for solar power. Solar power at the moment is easy since meteorites don't seem to drop (at least for me), but there is less space for both rockets and solar panels since the map is less wide so I guess it can't be abused as much?

You just need to get glass. Until I got glass and solar panels I just used 4 hamster wheels and connected 2 plug slugs to my power grid to recharge batteries.

In my games I have had 4 Plug Slugs. These each generate on average 50 watts when wild. So the 4 of them, produce 200 W on average (with a sufficient battery bank), the same as running on a Hamster Wheel for half a cycle. This proved plenty enough power for research and a few other things, for example the Research Station uses 60 W and the Supercomputer uses 120 W. In fact, after research, you should still have about half that power for other things (assuming only a single researcher).

At the moment Solar is probably OP so makes a logical thing to beeline.

1 minute ago, cezarica said:

Only 50W? I'm looking at a friend playing it on Twitch and on his end it shows 1600W per plug/slug.

Yes, 1600W per happy, domesticated slug, 400W per wild one.

But thats only during night, 3 hours per cycle. 3/24 = 1/8, so on average slugs get you 200W (happy) or 50W (wild) of power

4 hours ago, jlarner said:

All the wordgens I've seen so far have had Coal in the lowest biome (similar to badlands: granite with iron and coal, is it called Barren?), and most have had one or more Caustic biomes with coal (though no Dreckos)

Not all.  Mine is just 85C granite etc with no resources or geysers or anything of use.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:26 AM, blakemw said:

In my games I have had 4 Plug Slugs. These each generate on average 50 watts when wild. So the 4 of them, produce 200 W on average (with a sufficient battery bank), the same as running on a Hamster Wheel for half a cycle. This proved plenty enough power for research and a few other things, for example the Research Station uses 60 W and the Supercomputer uses 120 W. In fact, after research, you should still have about half that power for other things (assuming only a single researcher).

At the moment Solar is probably OP so makes a logical thing to beeline.

Same here, my second map, I started with 4 - plenty of power for early base needs, and I overbuilt batteries, which helped some. I left them wild in a ranch sized room, with just wires and a drop off station, and they promptly laid two eggs, and I had 5 running around after one died of old age. I purposefully didn't feed or tame them to see what it would be like, and it was fine. If I tamed and fed them it would be easily enough to get to mid game with. 

The map I started with tonight has two. That's gonna need some taming and feeding. I may try feeding one in isolation, and moving the eggs to a bigger room, for power, untamed and unfed. Less ore to eat through (they go through a LOT), with some experiments in timing how often the isolated one gets food. A timer on the door should keep Meep from feeding it too much. 

On 11/23/2020 at 2:15 AM, Pulstar said:

You can also go straight for solar power. Solar power at the moment is easy since meteorites don't seem to drop (at least for me), but there is less space for both rockets and solar panels since the map is less wide so I guess it can't be abused as much?

You just need to get glass. Until I got glass and solar panels I just used 4 hamster wheels and connected 2 plug slugs to my power grid to recharge batteries.

Deconstruct the window tiles for the  ruins.    I've made a ton of solar panels without ever making a glass forge. 

There are coal on starting map near jungle biome.   Save them for generators so you can get co2. But save some to make a few ceramic if you want to build a command module roof.    You will need a good bit of co2 for rocket fuel.  

Archived