Starting asteroid without a geyser...bug or feature?

I've been playing for well over 50 cycles now, and have realized I have no geysers on my starting colony.  I'm never too concerned for water when the home biome is flooded with it.  But now that I've explored what this tiny little rock has to offer, the lack of any water geyser completely kills plans for a long term base.

I'm thinking I've rolled a bugged world gen, but I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered this before submitting a report.

Neither. Per the DLC Alpha announcement:

• Rare Resources and Global Sustainability: We have plans for how we want to distribute geysers, resources, and other sustainable solutions in the late game, but are holding off on expanding on these ideas until we feel comfortable with the early and mid game content.

If feedback on early and mid game content is the purpose of the alpha, handicapping an asteroid where you must either move the colony or be dependent upon rocket cargo for water during mid-game seems to be a poor choice.  I'll let them know.

I have had both: A map with a cool slush geyser _and_ a cool saltwater one, so basically "easy mode". And one where there was none, so hard mode, time pressure, etc.

That does obviously not work and requires tuning. But the devs did say that this is being worked on and getting water sustainable reliably only in the end-game may actually not be a bad idea.  

I had considered the map without geysers to be a hard mode variant, but I thought it odd I wouldn't have a water source in order to maintain a stable base in the first alpha release.  I've begun a new colony and did get a cool slush geyser this time.  I also noticed the entire starmap is now available, so they've updated the build since the last one. 

Anyhow, I passed along my thoughts to Klei.  Nice to know there have been other instances of the geyser-less maps, so thanks for the reply.

My starting asteroid's only water source is a cool slush geyser (which didn't seem to become active until I reached it).  Water hasn't been a huge issue so far, even with me going through the tech tree pretty aggressively and farming 10 bog plants.  This is using just the starting water and continuously processing mud.  Though now that I've reached the geyser, I was planning on switching to electrolizers and starting use of a metal refinery.

It's almost 50 cycles in and I only just reached space and discovered a teleporter to and from an oily planet.

You can tell if a seed has a geyser at the start of the game by clicking on the starmap and clicking on your own asteroid.   It tells you no geysers    or it will tell you  if it has a slush   or two slush.      The oil well is also not 100 percent available.       There are seeds that give no oil geysers.    So far  the variations of the start map I've seen  are no geysers,    1 slush    or 2 slush.     Other planet has oil  geyser  or no geysers at all. 

That said   I don't like the idea of main base having no water renewable.    Need at least one.     Making it hard variant but that's not really considered hard as you will just run out and what is win condition?   And you resort to vomit dupes to get more.   

Slush geyser itself is very limiting as is because of the amount it provides  so you might sustain a few dupes but not a giant colony of 12 to 20.

I suppose you could try to survive and play how long can I last before I run out. But this is just back to old days of vomit dupes.     You could do this challenge yourself by sealing off geysers if you're into self imposed challenges.  This just only makes it not fun for those who don't want this challenege. 

To push the idea of having a multi-asteroid base, I think it makes sense that no asteroid can truly be self-sufficient on its own. I think it makes sense having an important resource running out in the initial asteroid as a way to push the player to explore the other planets.

That makes sense, but only if the asteroid with the water geyser is the one with the liquid/gas/solid teleporter, otherwise it would take too long to shuttle between bases. That way you wouldn't have to build several rockets for just shuttling resources in the mid-game, when it would be better to not have to spend fuel on that when you should be exploring for new asteroids. Also, isn't it hard to get much fuel in the early mid-game? (I take my time in early game, and only start going for the oil biome once I am mostly sustainable. I also do not have the DLC to test my ideas, so I'm sorry if I got something wrong.)

Edit: Lavatories are technically an infinite source of clean water.

Archived