[Game Update] - 435626

13 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I can understand it could be a strong griefing/trolling tool as well.

Why should rain be considered as a strong griefing/trolling tool? Rain does offer more benefits than drawbacks:

• Your character will spawn birds 300% faster (More seeds to eat & higher chances to get a flint early on)
  • Mushrooms start regrowing
  • Plants stop withering
  • Electric weapons deal 66.67% more damage
  • Burnables take longer to smolder & have a chance to be extinguished before they start burning
  • Your character will stop casting wildfires during rain
  • Antlion won't appear which will keep your bae safe from sinkholes
  • Sandstorm won't appear
  • Crops grow 300% faster

Freezing by rain is only a problem during late autumn or early spring. During winter you'll freeze anyway even without rain, and rain does literally have no effect during winter (except turning the mushrooms on a mushroom planter into rot). During summer you can use wetness to counter overheating.

While the fact that rain causes your items to become wet might be a penalty, this penalty can be avoided by putting your items into a backpack where they can't become wet. Using a non-wet item with 100% wetness won't make it slippery, allowing you to literally have a strong grip as any character. And in most cases, if it's raining on surface due to moslings, then it's not raining in the caves, since the rain on surface doesn't have any impact on the caves.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Why should rain be considered as a strong griefing/trolling tool? Rain does offer more benefits than drawbacks:

• Your character will spawn birds 300% faster (More seeds to eat & higher chances to get a flint early on)
  • Mushrooms start regrowing
  • Plants stop withering
  • Electric weapons deal 66.67% more damage
  • Burnables take longer to smolder & have a chance to be extinguished before they start burning
  • Your character will stop casting wildfires during rain
  • Antlion won't appear which will keep your bae safe from sinkholes
  • Sandstorm won't appear
  • Crops grow 300% faster

Oh yeah, all of this plus it gave you more time to consistently spawn goat herds during spring.

About griefing, newer players don't really know how to handle heavy rain as soon as they start, even in summer when freezing is not an issue, being soaking wet will quickly get them insane and make them get killed by shadow creatures.

Usually joining during autumn should be "safe" and new players friendly, giving them time to craft an umbrella or something like that, in a hijacked world with moslings and poopy players, they can trigger heavy rain non stop to make the new players life miserable and make them die by nightmares (or freezing if its late autumn) which is something without this glitch wouldn't happen. Even if they are triggering the rain on purpose during Autumm, I guess it would be polite to at least give the late joiners a top hat and an umbrella, given how inexpensive they are

8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Then we're doubly glad such a easy-mode exploit is fixed, aren't we?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not glad at all, I liked this system too, I only think I can see how it could be used for griefing. I never would have used it for griefing anyway. I hope the replacement we get is up to our expectatives 

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 2

I will miss my mosling pets  :( 

There's still the telelocator staff which can commence rain. Not as practical as the lil birds but still an option until something else is implemented. However if this mechanism was fixed (which was kind of elaborated) i doubt something as easy as -Wickerbottom reading a book- will be introduced into the game as a substitute for mosling method (which apparently was a bug).

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Adjusted the Bulbous Lightbug respawn time.

For those wondering, "adjusted" here means "multiplied by 4". Before, it would take 3 days for a lightflier flower to spawn a new lightbug. Now it takes 12. Which I must say is a tad excessive.

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

For those wondering, "adjusted" here means "multiplied by 4". Before, it would take 3 days for a lightflier flower to spawn a new lightbug. Now it takes 12. Which I must say is a tad excessive.

Almost like saying "I redecorated your house" instead of "I just took a wrecking ball to it"

(I'm just joking around, don't worry)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jason said:
  • The wormholes used to link the retrofitted land will no longer cause a sanity drain. (This will only affect newly retrofitted worlds, worlds that have already been retrofitted will not have this change.)
  • Fixed retrofitted worlds Fountain’s of Knowledge

SO happy I copied my world for testing instead of just moving the file. I am going to be one happy spelunker with a special wormhole and proper fountains

13 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Yes, I was talking to Zach about it when I saw that fix go in. The idea is not lost, it just needs to be done right.

It's converting the knowledge into something the players can read (fingers crossed that this satisfies them)

Both of these things make me happy. Not even things I knew about/complained about, but I like them both anyway. The knowledge gifting did seem a bit confusing when auto-granted.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

The Astral Detector won’t fold up when it no longer is required, it will wait to be folded up manually.

Now THAT'S cool! They look awesome for decoration, I love this way of solving it.

Also, that's a lotta bug fixes, somethin's tellin me we getting that update this Thursday, but that way expectable