Public servers is weird

um, is this like a ps4 thing and there are just no social servers? because half of these issues are ones i have never come across in over 500 hours of play x'''D most of the time when someone wants to fight a boss they tell everyone and asks if anyone wants to come help and for the most part it iw two or five people all going in together, haha, the only time soloing happens is when the person expressly doesnt want help and just offers to kill the boss on their own(and often they do ask)

1 hour ago, Muriilo said:

i cant do it man, dont work like that, if your sollution is make your own base if your resources

it will be like 5 children, each one has 10 pieces of a puzzle of 50 pieces
u cant enjoy the game, simple but true, u can ignore peoples but again, u will gain hate and stress, and i cant be a ******* and dont share food, because isnt my own server..

You chose to become a babysitter and you are complaining about the fact that you need to babysit everyone and can't do other things since others aren't able to survive on their own? Not everyone of the 5 children has 10 pieces of the puzzle of 50 pieces. Some of the children do offer 0 pieces (Players who just sit in the base, doing nothing but eating stuff), or a negative amount of pieces (grabbing stuff, burning the base, leaving). If you want to progress then you need to learn to recognize which of these children do actually offer pieces of the puzzle.

Don't Starve used to be a survival game, Don't Starve Together is the multiplayer version of Don't Starve. One way to fix your problem would be to remove the survival of DS from DST, which on the other hand would ruin the whole game. Gaining hate is unavoidable anyway, some players will hate you for no reason at all. Other than that, nobody cares about how much reputation you have as long as you ain't popular.

A lot of the “survival” part of DS was (and continues to be..) removed when DS became DST- And with each Rework or Content update- The game gets increasingly easier to “Survive”

Here are a few examples- Willows Bernie Doll completely wrecks shadows so if you go insane- Bernie can just deal with Shadow Monsters for you.. 

The players who host servers that say pick Willow=Ban probably only host those Servers BECAUSE they foolishly assume a Willow player is only there to burn down base with her lighter.. 

News flash- ANYONE can build a torch with a few grass and twigs.. and Bye Bye Base.

Willow in-fact is IMMUNE to fire damage, so IF some Jerk joins, and builds a torch to burn base: WILLOW can put out all smoldering structures without taking a single health point of damage from it.

WENDY can Supply a Server with Endless supply of Silk for things like Top Hats, Winter Hats, Sewing Kits, She can also build a Sisturn and fill it full of Flower Petals so other players can stand beside it to passively gain Sanity, her Petal Bestowment damage Buff players get from attacking things that Abigail is Attacking also make her a top pick choice to play as.

WOODIE can chop an entire forest down for players without wasting through Axe resources, which will often spawn Tree Guards- Which are Passive towards everyone, until they are attacked or Players chop Trees near these Guards, these Guards are great at killing massive hordes of hounds effortlessly- As well as the Deerclops, Woodie players can ALSO eat Itchy Totems and transform into a Goose to quickly flap across the Map (even over Water) which can be used to quickly find Lunar Island, Gather Stone Fruit and bring those Supplies back to other players.

Return of Them updates have also added new ways of “Not Starving” 

From Being able to use Batilisks wings in cooking recipes, to Wobster Den, to Fishing for Fishies with a Sea Fishing Rod out on the Open Seas there is ALSO Skittersquid which when killed have a chance to drop a Lightbulb, which in Servers with Caves turned OFF.. is the only way to obtain this used to be Caves only Resource- Used in crafting Lanterns.

The existence of the SALT BOX allows players to store and preserve foods for longer lengths of time.

My point is if your still trying to call DST a hardcore survival game like it’s DS solo counter part- the Existence of All of the above debunks your opinion.

But as a Disclaimer: I DO NOT Work at Klei.. and I DO NOT know what content plans they have in the long run- Just because the game gets increasingly easier (For Now) does NOT mean that Klei doesn’t have some devilishly evil and challenging content updates planned in the future.

They even stated a while back that Return of Them would be an update that would lay down the foundation for every update that follows afterwards.

And I can Clearly see why/how..

We have boats and a sailable Ocean, and with each Return of Them Update they’ve given us new Structures to put ON these Boats.. now I’m just begging Klei to add a bunch of new themed Islands with unique weather and mobs to those Islands- Give me a REASON to WANT to build a boat and go Sailing.

Oh and for the love of god.. please stop banning Willows as soon as they join a world- For Freaksake Man.

2 hours ago, Muriilo said:

yeaaah, this isnt a problem for me, say what do u want, what do u need, dont fixing the error here u can ask, u can talk but not always the person will do what u need, if u say "dont make farms its a bad food resource" and the people continue making isnt a problem, he can play the game the ways he likes even if it arruined your gameplay, u understand? when u play this game with other u always dependent on others and u cant do nothing about that, make your m=own base, or ignore people dont fix the problem, i show a print with a walter cursed me, lacked communication? yes, i can do something about that? no, dont depends only me, and thanks for call me weird because i have problems in this game is always cool see old players supporting newers :)

yes u are right, but "Public servers are just to hang out a bit, test rushes or new strategies, maybe learn or teach a thing or two, and see how long can you survive and help people, given what you have." its wrong for me,

nobody learns anything new here, since nobody works together :/ 

So, as I said, it's a communication problem. But it's not a dst problem. In many multiplayers, we have some specific goals, and when they are only a few goals, it's easier to play without speaking.

Dst is so large that we can't expect a good organization without organization, that's all I said. Is it a default, I don't think so. Teamplay is your only way, like in every multiplayer, but more in dst. 

Go in public, find one or two serious people, and restart a proper game. Don't take my words so bad, it wasn't mean, sorry. 

It's your only way to enjoy a long game.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

A lot of the “survival” part of DS was (and continues to be..) removed when DS became DST- And with each Rework or Content update- The game gets increasingly easier to “Survive”

Here are a few examples- Willows Bernie Doll completely wrecks shadows so if you go insane- Bernie can just deal with Shadow Monsters for you.. 

The players who host servers that say pick Willow=Ban probably only host those Servers BECAUSE they foolishly assume a Willow player is only there to burn down base with her lighter.. 

News flash- ANYONE can build a torch with a few grass and twigs.. and Bye Bye Base.

Willow in-fact is IMMUNE to fire damage, so IF some Jerk joins, and builds a torch to burn base: WILLOW can put out all smoldering structures without taking a single health point of damage from it.

WENDY can Supply a Server with Endless supply of Silk for things like Top Hats, Winter Hats, Sewing Kits, She can also build a Sisturn and fill it full of Flower Petals so other players can stand beside it to passively gain Sanity, her Petal Bestowment damage Buff players get from attacking things that Abigail is Attacking also make her a top pick choice to play as.

WOODIE can chop an entire forest down for players without wasting through Axe resources, which will often spawn Tree Guards- Which are Passive towards everyone, until they are attacked or Players chop Trees near these Guards, these Guards are great at killing massive hordes of hounds effortlessly- As well as the Deerclops, Woodie players can ALSO eat Itchy Totems and transform into a Goose to quickly flap across the Map (even over Water) which can be used to quickly find Lunar Island, Gather Stone Fruit and bring those Supplies back to other players.

Return of Them updates have also added new ways of “Not Starving” 

From Being able to use Batilisks wings in cooking recipes, to Wobster Den, to Fishing for Fishies with a Sea Fishing Rod out on the Open Seas there is ALSO Skittersquid which when killed have a chance to drop a Lightbulb, which in Servers with Caves turned OFF.. is the only way to obtain this used to be Caves only Resource- Used in crafting Lanterns.

The existence of the SALT BOX allows players to store and preserve foods for longer lengths of time.

My point is if your still trying to call DST a hardcore survival game like it’s DS solo counter part- the Existence of All of the above debunks your opinion.

But as a Disclaimer: I DO NOT Work at Klei.. and I DO NOT know what content plans they have in the long run- Just because the game gets increasingly easier (For Now) does NOT mean that Klei doesn’t have some devilishly evil and challenging content updates planned in the future.

They even stated a while back that Return of Them would be an update that would lay down the foundation for every update that follows afterwards.

And I can Clearly see why/how..

We have boats and a sailable Ocean, and with each Return of Them Update they’ve given us new Structures to put ON these Boats.. now I’m just begging Klei to add a bunch of new themed Islands with unique weather and mobs to those Islands- Give me a REASON to WANT to build a boat and go Sailing.

Oh and for the love of god.. please stop banning Willows as soon as they join a world- For Freaksake Man.

I dont understand what u want to say with that sorry, but i agree XD, dst is become more easy (or maybe more late game, because u have new itens for the late game meta, maybe?) but with new content and ideas, u ban a person because he picks a character u dont like is very awful :/ never happened with my willow but a already did it when im making a beequeen rush, the guy pick walter.. sometimes is justifiable

1 hour ago, Moonatik said:

So, as I said, it's a communication problem. But it's not a dst problem. In many multiplayers, we have some specific goals, and when they are only a few goals, it's easier to play without speaking.

Dst is so large that we can't expect a good organization without organization, that's all I said. Is it a default, I don't think so. Teamplay is your only way, like in every multiplayer, but more in dst. 

Go in public, find one or two serious people, and restart a proper game. Don't take my words so bad, it wasn't mean, sorry. 

It's your only way to enjoy a long game.

Yes ure right in parts for me, im ok with that B)

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

You chose to become a babysitter and you are complaining about the fact that you need to babysit everyone and can't do other things since others aren't able to survive on their own? Not everyone of the 5 children has 10 pieces of the puzzle of 50 pieces. Some of the children do offer 0 pieces (Players who just sit in the base, doing nothing but eating stuff), or a negative amount of pieces (grabbing stuff, burning the base, leaving). If you want to progress then you need to learn to recognize which of these children do actually offer pieces of the puzzle.

Don't Starve used to be a survival game, Don't Starve Together is the multiplayer version of Don't Starve. One way to fix your problem would be to remove the survival of DS from DST, which on the other hand would ruin the whole game. Gaining hate is unavoidable anyway, some players will hate you for no reason at all. Other than that, nobody cares about how much reputation you have as long as you ain't popular.

No my problem here isnt "hey guys i cant kill the BQ because i need all time revive this wigfrid" its more "Hey guys i cant kill the beequeen, because i dont have much pig skins, i dont find 1 mandrake after day 15 and all the time one guy die for a tentacle" understand, if a can take all the resources and dont share with nobody i do it, but "dst is a finite world if finite resource, when u have 10 guys in a server who quit after day 21 how u can do funny things?" My problem here isnt survival, survival in this game is easy, i want more, kill the bosses, make a cool base, enjoy the game, i can sitting in the base and only make meatballs with ice...  abd its a public server man, how i can available random peoples with good or bad in 20 days, i play a lot in PS isn't a frustration all the time, but is boring and stressful 60% 

As someone who plays Solo and has NEVER killed Dragonfly- which isn’t just a stat of my own but the majority of Xbox Lives as Well..

I think some of this games Boss fights should be beatable using common Logic.. And by THAT I mean that Dragonfly is a boss that feels Comfortable in Fire.. so it should be at its Weakest (& Thus easier to kill without cheap Methods) if you pick a fight with it during WINTER..

Boss Fights are really the one thing I hate most about this game (Well besides Wes) That content isn’t designed for a solo player to tackle alone, and if they do they have to make some elaborate set up and preparation which could take literal game days to do as opposed to just gathering a group of people together and press Attack till its Dead in quick fashion.

WES on the other hand.. no matter how good the player playing him is, has nothing at all Whatsoever to offer to a team to make him Valuable- His hunger keeps in fridges like Wolfgang but unlike Wolf- Wes doesn’t gain the power to Superman punch foes into Oblivion- but Perhaps the most important thing is that Due to Wes hits being weaker then Average- then he Quite literally wastes through more Weapons and armor then literally any other character you could possibly pick.

I sincerely hope when Klei Reworks Wes that they will give him some useful perks that benefit playing as a TEAM.

One example would be being able to build Balloon Swords that in Wes’s hands are completely Useless, but in the hands of any other character it’s even more powerful then Wigfrids Battle Spears.

Basically the TL:DR of what I expect out of WES is to turn him into Smite God Aphrodite: Using Mechanics where alone he is Super Weak, Dies Easily and is mostly useless.. but when surrounded by TEAM MATES he can empower his teammates and himself so that IF DST was SMITE- the target enemies would want to kill first (and you would want to Protect..) is Wes.

Its Basically the same as he plays currently- Weak and Challenging in Solo play sessions, Mighty and Actually Useful when playing him in Team Play Sessions.

Which coincidentally ALSO Means any group that wants to all pick to play as WES for the so called “Challenge” of it won’t gain any additional Aphrodite like Buffs from other Wes players- So their weird Idea of fun isn’t ruined either.

As was stated many times in past forum topics and comments, KLei official servers (Survival vanilla variety) are the Wild West of DST pubs. Anything goes in there because no moderation takes place. Hence you should always prepare for the worse: from newbies/noobs/casuals (bulk player-base) that most/all times have no clue about what they're doing, to trolls and griefers hammering/burning your every structure. Pillaging of any kind, not-knowingly or willingly, takes place everywhere in said pubs. And etiquette is almost always non-existent. If you want a healthy long-term co-op experience, KLei official servers aren't the place for that.

Yet being unable to co-op the games' challenges should not be a deterrent for you into dwelling KLei pubs - you can always do solo runs if prepared enough and having the skill to do so; or you can go in mentioned pubs with group of friends and goals for respective Survival runs. Because, by the very definition of a Survival pub, is a short fleeting experience. You can pretty much do anything in these pubs though, even if Pan Flute or some Pig Houses are taken/destroyed - there always are alternatives; only your knowledge, determination and allocated time can cap your pub runs. Below are some examples from my personal pub adventures (all KLei official pub experiences).

Spoiler

Chillax casual Winona experiments, no bonnylad was hurt in the process.. too much:

E4E6A8FF90A553A59BC05B3F92FFDB3FF5F70E98

Modest solo Lunar Island base during Winter's Feast event:

E085EF35AFAA7AAD2F363A2B9743CFFA1EF97573

Krampus farming with competent randoms:

?imw=1024&imh=769&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Solo AG mush after Klaus sack drop; on ignored ruins by the first-autumners (I've spawned in winter):

EC87BBCF997686E6544EDAB865362557D2DBFB06

Ruins rush with a friend (don't mind the accidental fisting of AG going on there by Moosy friend):

03747091C158A9DAB73B8236F09A574B4998CA1B

Another Survival long-run (many bosses gang-bangs included) with friends... alcoholic ones for added fun, heh:

9EB5AF0D8666EC205F0029E782B62727829764FD

Ruins-run (and more) with a friend over last Winter's Feast fun times - featuring my micro-base random concept:

5D0F327C750293A95C48ADB6F87081D86FCE86F8

One of my pub runs with random Labyrinth's entrance base concept (Ruins-rush, DF and Klaus fights included):

A48E9FFCF2020E544599D17D600F2208E865C407

More boss&Ruins mushing and cave basing experiments:

7C17BD71274A382C74B81281BCCD35A1B9A41924

As you can see, a lot of stuff can be done in a very fun way on pubs. Can be simple things like helping newbies or making a themed and-very-rushed base - below a friend's Surviving-on-Guacamole experiment:

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

...or quite elaborate setups in interesting places, with help of friends and advanced cooperative randoms:

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

(same friend's - Ryuk - main Ancient Pseudo-Station base, Toad, DF and Ruins rush included; all in a Survival pub's time)

Still, as a viable, mostly safe-and-friendly alternative, you OP can try Dedicated Endless community servers. Below you have a selection of the most popular (at this post's time) DST communities (in descending order by number of members):

●  Don't Starve Together Survivors;

●  DST Diverse Survivors;

●  DST Slightly Tilted;

●  Don't Starve Together in Europe;

●  [NSK] Don't Starve Together;

●  DST Academy;

●  DST How To Survive!;

●  DST Experienced Players.

All above host Survival and Endless servers, Wilderness too and some offer even PvP experiences if that's your cup of tea. Personally, if you're from Europe, I recommend the Mighty Beard Endless server - is highly moderated, with moderators constantly playing there.

All-in-all you can control your KLei servers general trials by adjusting your (realistic) expectations and acting accordingly, still is best to go for a community dedicated experience if long-run co-op is your desired thing.

I've encountered players who have rushed the ruins and killed DF before winter while we were just derping in the surface to make a pretty base.

I've done 18 catapult Winona to rush DF but it's effing boring to mine 300 rocks on your own at the start of the game and then carrying it around all the time in backpack, but it can be done.

It's always more fun when people work together, but everyone has different goals and there are always newbies and leeches that just eat all your food then leave.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

THANK you.

Signed, A Willow Main.

Now, I go back and forth on the overall goods or evils of public servers...yes, they are the Wild West and full of strangers whom you never know, each one _could_ turn out to be a jerk, a troll, a griefer, or a noob who is SO noob they're a major drain on resources, etc...

...but on the other hand, MOST OF MY STEAM FRIENDS I've met from DST in a public server, where we both played well together for over an hour and then they or I sent a friend request afterwards.  A few I know from this forum, but most of them I met from going on publics.  I now typically do my own private servers set to "friends only"...but I wouldn't HAVE many friends _to_ allow onto my servers, if I hadn't met them first on publics.

So...

...Notorious

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Boss Fights are really the one thing I hate most about this game (Well besides Wes) That content isn’t designed for a solo player to tackle alone, and if they do they have to make some elaborate set up and preparation which could take literal game days to do as opposed to just gathering a group of people together and press Attack till its Dead in quick fashion.

I'd argue that actually makes them better.

First of all, if you can solo them with no cheese, that means you're really, really good.

But for the average player, it means that the fights aren't just hit-hit-hit-dodge-hit-hit-hit-dodge boss dead. It means that fights require creativity (or stealing someone else's creativity). In a game with two combat styles (kite and tank), I think not being designed for one person ends up adding to the fights in the end.

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

idk what games have you played but in a lot of games the boss fights are hard and takes several minutes. What have non sense is being 4 and destroy a "boss" in few minutes pressing F with 1 helmet and no healing

the content is designed for 1 since it can be done without having asian dna and more if we take in count how OP are the raid bosses loot

also playing alone means that you have all the resources of the map for you so is easier to prepare for this fights

I do agree in a way pub servers are flawed, but there is literally no way I can think to fix it, it is what it is. New players are treated with sus, and if you play for 10-12 hours over the weekend, you can pretty much expect it to be gone by monday. So the frame of mind needs to be "short term, light hearted fun". People who get into name calling matches on pub servers crack me up you can tell their age right away you need to look in the resources some friendly forum users provided for you, cuz i tell you, you kill bee queen, you kill df heck, you kill any boss you raid the caves, you have fun with randoms that aren't stupid come monday some random will reset the server i promise you like the sun rising tomorrow its not worth long term fun. Just mess around for 4-5 hours a week on there and kiss that goodbye.

Archived