Theories on what that cat thing was

For those who don't know, when the new reactions were being added to the forums, there was this creature unused, somehow found by us.

2f78352450d50c38.gif

Joew I believe said that it was a still very WIP feature that was canned a long time ago, but I find it extremely interesting that there was apparently a seemingly entirely graphically finished (TAMEABLE!) creature in the game that just never got in. 

This leads me to try to think of explanations for what it would've done ingame. I think a possible answer is that it was something that was originally going to be introduced along with beefalo taming/"through the ages" DLC, maybe as a cave-equivalent to beefalo. This is a shot in t he dark, heck it could have been something for RoT for all we know.

I'd love to hear y'all'ses theories on this.

Looks like the precurser to Ewecus, a monster you'd find tracking the Koaeleffant.  It looks based on a mutated Catcoon as it even vomits like they do. The catcoon tail also makes a sort of ''whip'' which is probably what you would have in mind when taming an animal. So it probably was going to be a part of beefalo taming but was scrapped for more streamlined features.

6 hours ago, cropo said:

Looks like the precurser to Ewecus, a monster you'd find tracking the Koaeleffant.  It looks based on a mutated Catcoon as it even vomits like they do. The catcoon tail also makes a sort of ''whip'' which is probably what you would have in mind when taming an animal. So it probably was going to be a part of beefalo taming but was scrapped for more streamlined features.

The hairball looks like Steel Wool!

It's a shame, because I prefer the design of this creature much more than the Ewecus.

It will be interesting if this creature or similar is added to the game at the lunar event for the Chinese New Year of the Tiger (2022), since within the DST the animal that comes closest to this beast is the Catcoons, to have a version his monstrous and domesticable makes me very excited, there are so many possibilities.

Im just gonna put this out there.. but with the clean sweeper existing and I can press B to “Sweep” anything in the game I’m going to safely say that whatever Klei wanted this to be but scrapped...

Should be a Skin we can “Sweep” Beefalo with- Rather they’re Tamed or Not does not matter...

Actually Klei- Thats what I want, the ability to go around “Sweeping” random stuff that can’t be crafted- Like Rocks or Pigman (not just their houses... I want to be able to Sweep them and change the outfit they’re wearing.) 

I understand that giving the clean sweep lots of world customization options would be a Huge undertaking (maybe even impossible) for Klei to do, but if they DON’T do it- To me it’s always going to feel like a huge missed Opportunity with the Clean Sweep.

:) I fully 100% agree with @Articestone this should TOTALLY be a Hallowed Nights skin I can buy and “Clean Sweep” Beefalo with, rather they are tamed or not tamed..

Even the Hairball coughing up Animation makes sense as the way to “Shave” and get Beefalo Wools.

I need this in my life right now! :( 

Archived