how to cool solar panels?

Generally, you do not. You make sure nothing hot falls on them, but that is it. 

If you really need to cool them, then you basically have to either drip some fluid on them and use drywall were you drip it on, or do the same with some gas and drywall. There is no heat transfer between pipes and objects in vacuum.

The endless discussions of this fact have died down somewhat recently, so you probably missed them.

I suppose it's easier to rip them apart. 

6 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

You make sure nothing hot falls on them, but that is it.

Nothing fell on them, I think its the damn shove voles. I need to exterminate everyone one of them.

Wee I am soo drunk. I have definitivly not not not not not post this post , but wheee I am som drunk !!! Ok play factorio !!!!

Becouse It has s   ::::::

Mods. (like really good one , not stupid like oxygen not included!!!).

and multiplayer (like really good one, not stupid like oxygen not included!!!!!!), well everythink is much better with multiplayer, at least some wise man told me, I never play multiplayer becose I have no internet, and I probebly even dont exist, so I never play multuiplayer. I definityvly must sugest multiplare@@@

Also factorio Is really good , and have unlimited map!! (like noty limited and stupid map like Oxygen not included)

Also Factorio has really good support, not like Oxygen not included !! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!

Ok I must definityvly sugest mutiplayer becosuse it so styuupid , that I like It!!!

If you want react to my post , you must draw picture!!! becose I can not read!!!

Like really !!!

Ugh, Solar Panels. I really don't like how their bases behave like tiles in some ways, but don't do all the forms of heat transfer tiles do (that piping you have would cool down actual tiles in a hurry).

So first off, all space cooling for things not made of thermium relies on liquids occupying tiles. Gases are too messy and solids don't transfer heat with buildings. There are 2 main approaches to cooling things like Robominers:

1. Put a small blob of liquid on the bottom, drywall to keep it, protect it from regolith falling down, and run cooling pipes (usually that go directly to a Steam Turbine's steam room to drop off the heat, no Aquatuner required, but it is an option).
  2. Dump excess water onto them with a layer of drywall.

Option 2 is much easier to set up, but has issues with Solar Panels, because the steam from regolith hitting water will reach them and heat them up. Option 1 shouldn't cause issues, even over long periods, so you can just leave the panels exposed, and have a lot of exposed area around them as a buffer in case something happens.

If you're relying on option 2, or worried about the occasional accident, I think the best solution is to drip a little bit of cool (anything under 75 C) water on them. It shouldn't reduce power output (unlike walling them in; window tiles do reduce your light), and shouldn't take much just to keep them down below overheat.

10 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

I suppose it's easier to rip them apart. 

Nothing fell on them, I think its the damn shove voles. I need to exterminate everyone one of them.

Probably. I keep the eggs in a 1-tile metal room (Shove Voles have no space need) and kill all active ones when I get to the surface.

22 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

Is there an easy way to cool solar panels?

I thought running water through its center tiles will work but apparently this doesn't

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.c39c57eb25f5c076ba672990fdaf5876.png

You need to know an important thing, in the vaccum (in a room or space), a radiant pipe do not touch any machine since there's no liquid or gas on the machine and the pipe. It will be usefull to cool the other machine in the space. ;)

On 8/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, Mantak said:

Wee I am soo drunk. I have definitivly not not not not not post this post , but wheee I am som drunk !!! Ok play factorio !!!!

Becouse It has s   ::::::

Mods. (like really good one , not stupid like oxygen not included!!!).

and multiplayer (like really good one, not stupid like oxygen not included!!!!!!), well everythink is much better with multiplayer, at least some wise man told me, I never play multiplayer becose I have no internet, and I probebly even dont exist, so I never play multuiplayer. I definityvly must sugest multiplare@@@

Also factorio Is really good , and have unlimited map!! (like noty limited and stupid map like Oxygen not included)

Also Factorio has really good support, not like Oxygen not included !! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!

Ok I must definityvly sugest mutiplayer becosuse it so styuupid , that I like It!!!

If you want react to my post , you must draw picture!!! becose I can not read!!!

Like really !!!

Are you related to that guy that recommended rimworld to himself?

On 8/15/2020 at 1:41 AM, Gurgel said:

Generally, you do not. You make sure nothing hot falls on them, but that is it.

Is it just regolith tiles falling on them that heats them up, or can they get fried by meteor-impact-thrown debris too?

Do I basically have to encase them in windows on 3 sides?

12 minutes ago, Tsabo said:

Is it just regolith tiles falling on them that heats them up, or can they get fried by meteor-impact-thrown debris too?

Do I basically have to encase them in windows on 3 sides?

As far as I know, debris only exchanges heat with the tile it's sitting on, and solar panels don't count for that. Just watch out for carbon dioxide touching them; it's generally advisable to keep some distance between where meteors hit and where your solar panels are.

Archived