Base Illumination

Main topic and a minor topic to boot.

One of the elements of base design especially in public games which are short-lived is lighting.   Almost always it's coming from an unforgivable wilderness to a single fireplace with characters huddled around protected from the dark and/or cold.  I see the base as a sanctuary, a place to come to in relief from the untamed wilds with it's unpredictable sights and sounds.   Given that perspective why not something cheerful, well lit. welcoming?   A single fireplace isn't enough and a constraint on activity especially on long nights where there could be more productive uses of this time.   Three to four fire pits work, resource intensive.   Lamps might be better coupled with a single fire pit, if base is near a cave that works.   

Minor topic, been building bases on hermit island.   Forces you to optimize design due to space limitations, any cool designs out there?

Lighting in Pubs can be challenging because killing Toad requires quite a lot of coordination and preparation. Some cheap lighting option could be fireflies. Just catch some and drop them on your base. Keep in mind that when you walk by them they will disappear. Also some lazy people might catch them for fuel (mine hat/lanterns).

You could also base at caves and pray it has good natural lighting (or tons of ligh flowers) but then you would be constantly struggling with sanity loss due to being underground.

20200803182212_1.thumb.jpg.a9b1dcfef3092bec7de0eaa6da91a133.jpg

That is just a snippet of a base in a Pub server. It was underground and had a lot of natural lights. We only used minehats at night, and since we had many light flowers we had constant fuel.

I would say that probably the best lightsource in the game is your own. Relying on static light sources can be tricky and honestly most people on pubs are too lazy to refuel them.

31 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

(Admittedly it’s extremely difficult to get in pub games because toad, but it does look nice?)

10 minutes ago, Brubs said:

Lighting in Pubs can be challenging because killing Toad requires quite a lot of coordination and preparation.

Amateurs!

grafik.thumb.png.69619d9fdf357fa256ffdba18bbe10c3.png

On 8/4/2020 at 3:57 AM, Mencken said:

Given that perspective why not something cheerful, well lit. welcoming? A single fireplace isn't enough and a constraint on activity especially on long nights where there could be more productive uses of this time. 

Isn’t that already exists in the game? The star/mooncaller does exactly the job. It is easy to get, and dwarf stars last about 3 days, a cheap alternative if you don’t want to kill toad.

To me the best place to make your base at, is around the moonstone: it can provide a large radius of permanent light which you can further increase by adding toad's lamps, or stars. 

The second best thing is to have a permanent flow of dwarf stars/polar dwarf stars

Well here's a few, often forgotten lighting ideas; 

Don't sleep on Pumpkin Lanterns, they last a long time on DST and are constant decorative lightsources, albeit with small radius.

While not the most popular base location, the moonstone in dense forest is a nice opportunity for constant light if you fix it and place a Moon Caller Staff on it.

Ask your local Winona to make a spotlight. While not the most useful thing in the world, It'll sure put you in the spotlight and is an effective way without fire's or an item's light to check chests or collect resources at night.

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Don't sleep on Pumpkin Lanterns, they last a long time on DST and are constant decorative lightsources, albeit with small radius.

I will sleep on pumpkin lanterns because they only last 6 days and use an actually infinite and nearly unrenewable light source in their recipe.

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I will sleep on pumpkin lanterns because they only last 6 days and use an actually infinite and nearly unrenewable light source in their recipe.

True, but at any state of spoilage if you attack them you'll release the fireflies. I think Klei should add a tiny buff to this item by making it release the fireflies when the item perishes to encourage its usage. I personally don't enjoy too many bugs hanging around my base freely and they can even obstruct clicking on certain objects. They should also change the left right mouse button actions of it while they're at it because Charlie knows how many of them are destroyed accidentally in attempts of picking it up.

3 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

True, but at any state of spoilage if you attack them you'll release the fireflies. I think Klei should add a tiny buff to this item by making it release the fireflies when the item perishes to encourage its usage. I personally don't enjoy too many bugs hanging around my base freely and they can even obstruct clicking on certain objects. They should also change the left right mouse button actions of it while they're at it because Charlie knows how many of them are destroyed accidentally in attempts of picking it up.

freeing the fireflies at the end of the pumpkin's lifespan would get me to use them especially since i already like how they look

Archived