How would you feel if you could dig into caves with shovels?

How would you feel if you could dig into caves with shovels?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Dig cave entrances with shovels?

• Disgusted
    • Happy
    • Disappointed
    • Neutral

Heres how I imagined it:  While the shovel is equipped, you right click on it while it's in your hand slot to Start Digging. And that spawns a little hole akin to a mole burrow. Now if you keep on digging and digging (would be around 1 opulent shovel's worth of shovel uses maybe??) eventually a hole down appears, and from there you can build a little stake and rope down to use as a player-made entrance  to the caves. Where the player cave entrance would lead would either be random or predetermined by the player leaving some sort of marker underground before digging.  

The concept of holes leading down is pretty versatile though, so I implore you to give your own description of how it'd work, if you want it in the game.

15 minutes ago, TheHollowKnight said:

I would be scared of griefers just getting a shovel and just shoveling everywhere.

If it's taking a whole gold shovel to do it, then it'd take time.  Much quicker to get a torch and burn than to consistently dig a hole.

Why would i dig into a cave when i could just use a pickaxe? It would also be very messy because:

1) giving the opportunity to go so often to the cave may produce lots of lag

2) What about spawn points on caves?

3) Cheap way to avoid dying by anything,

All things considered, its a NO from me dawg.

Initially I was neutral-ish on this idea but then I was reminded that batilisks exist, so now I absolutely do not want player-created cave entrances to be a thing. Some of the other objections seem really silly, but batilisks are enough of a problem from natural cave entrances close to the base or the postern that somebody's foolish enough to unblock. And if it uses up an entire gold shovel at the speed of the normal digging animation, it'd be a pretty boring project to undertake. I'm envisioning something a lot like digging up a magma pile in Shipwrecked, but several times longer.

Also it'd be kind of surprising for a determined survivor with a shovel and a lot of time on their hands to be able to punch a hole in the Constant's surface when the antlion never manages to do more than crack it (aboveground) or shake a bunch of rocks loose (belowground).

if this was a thing added to game, I would dig as many wholes as I possibly can before slipping into boredom around Spawn Gate to properly greet newbies with a consistent-to-the-point-of-absurdity Bats Committee. Because bats are fun and bring joy to everyone :butterfly:

Archived