How to screw up a scout boy ?

I was excited when the news of the character. I wish my excitement could continue when the character came in.

I will explain why I think so.

My first criticism is about Woby. Don't you think Woby don't looks like a mod plugin? What is different from pets made from Rock Den? Don't you think Chester and Woby combo in the early game is a lot op? When you think it grows up, isn't it like a different beefalo? It did not mean much to me, except for the beefalo, which has a silly look from behind.

Second, there is a slingshot. A different experience different perspectives, but apart from taking up additional space, how is it different from weapons and wands doing this task?

Maybe they spent a lot of time on this character, I don't want to be unfair. But I don't think my personal opinion should be misunderstood. Just my opinion

I think it's my right to criticize, I hope no one gets it wrong. My mother tongue is not English, I hope you don't misunderstand to me. :wilson_flower:

From my gameplay experience:

Big Woby slows down when not fed, becoming slower than a player when close to starving.

The slingshot is essentially a free ranged weapon. I say free because you can make ammo with gold, and you can kill birds for morsels, which you can give to PK for gold. Gold does okayish early-game damage, doing 34 dmg a pop. The slingshot is slower than melee, though. Marble does a decent job as a mid-game item because it does 50. Because of the slower attack speed, my assumption is that it's somewhere around spear DPS, which is alright given that it's ranged. The cursed pellets spawn tentacles, which do 68 damage a pop assuming the tentacles' hits connect. You should ONLY use stone pellets for butterflies. Otherwise they are literal trash.

Walter is mechanically flawed in many ways (most of them were just patched an hour ago however), but I don't think these points are one of them.

Edit: Some of this information is incorrect with the most recent patch (numbers courtesy of @CarlZalph in another thread). From what I hear, Woby will now run faster than a player at all times. I haven't tested this myself.

I can't even actually add to this thread..

"While I appreciate you guys SOOOO MUCH, I can't help but be a little annoyed..

I've spent all day, 1st day back at work, waiting to get home for Woby, I then had to wait about 2hrs still, lmfao that's OK.

Then he drops!. and I buy Deluxe, and a bunch of skin packs..

Since then, few hours later, I am still trying to start a new world with Walter!!!!! WTF" copied from Steam

50 minutes ago, dirtee tuk Os said:

I've spent all day, 1st day back at work, waiting to get home for Woby, I then had to wait about 2hrs still, lmfao that's OK.

Since then, few hours later, I am still trying to start a new world with Walter!!!!! WTF" copied from Steam

This message is gonna become the new "I'll have you know I graduated at the top of my class in the navy seals, an-" on these forums.

5 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

This message is gonna become the new "I'll have you know I graduated at the top of my class in the navy seals, an-" on these forums.

Yeah, I spammed, I was upset, I explained in another thread, and just hadn't removed this one yet.

Never mind, that my problem still stands, and it was not a matter of me not checking something, or doing something wrong, so your comment is invalid buddy boy

*edit and this was the first of the spam, and if anything this was the most appropriate place for it, of all the places I posted this comment

1 hour ago, dirtee tuk Os said:

Humble brag 

Chester + Woby is overkill, not OP.

Slingshot is cheaper than wands/boomerang/darts, making it accessible early game for even the most beginner player.

Woby grown up is a different beefalo indeed, different and cheaper unless you don't mind feeding beefalos twigs/grass every few minutes or mounting unmounting every few seconds in the first few days.

Many things at first will look like a mod, since you are not accustomed to them yet. Bernie suffered from it, moose did it too so it's better to wait a few weeks before calling on their look.

3 hours ago, MrDo said:

I was excited when the news of the character. I wish my excitement could continue when the character came in.

I will explain why I think so.

My first criticism is about Woby. Don't you think Woby don't looks like a mod plugin? What is different from pets made from Rock Den? Don't you think Chester and Woby combo in the early game is a lot op? When you think it grows up, isn't it like a different beefalo? It did not mean much to me, except for the beefalo, which has a silly look from behind.

Second, there is a slingshot. A different experience different perspectives, but apart from taking up additional space, how is it different from weapons and wands doing this task?

Maybe they spent a lot of time on this character, I don't want to be unfair. But I don't think my personal opinion should be misunderstood. Just my opinion

I think it's my right to criticize, I hope no one gets it wrong. My mother tongue is not English, I hope you don't misunderstand to me. :wilson_flower:

He is the first and biggest dissapointment of mine to be honest in my DST history. He doesnt make me feel like im playing with scout. I cant see anything about survival except few things. I wrote how i think in this topic check it out if you want to know how i feel about Walter.

3 hours ago, Canis said:

You should ONLY use stone pellets for butterflies. Otherwise they are literal trash.

How much damage does stone pellets do? Also, you forgot that it could also be used to aggro cowardly mobs like Volt Goats and Koalephant. He'll be much easier to hunt with as you don't need to chase down a Koalephant to make it aggro onto you. I'd rather use a stone pellet that I already spawn with than a gold pellet which I painstakingly made.

3 minutes ago, Booklover said:

How much damage does stone pellets do? Also, you forgot that it could also be used to aggro cowardly mobs like Volt Goats and Koalephant. He'll be much easier to hunt with as you don't need to chase down a Koalephant to make it aggro onto you. I'd rather use a stone pellet that I already spawn with than a gold pellet which I painstakingly made.

Gold pellets are SUPER easy to mass-produce, in fact they are a self-supplying source. It's so easy in fact that I suspect that Klei might change it. Until then, gold pellets do everything that a stone pellet can do except better, so once you have a single piece of gold, you should never make another stone pellet again.

Walters inclusion makes me feel like Klei is focused on a much bigger overall long-term goal, you can blatantly tell it when your playing as Walter, Simple stuff like making gold harder to obtain, and making Butterflies not be a reliable source of hunger and health points.. those two changes alone would be just enough to make playing Walter become an absolute Nightmare for me.. his current & fairly extreme Hunger drain is going to be enough to make newbie players shy away from wanting to play as him.

(keep in mind that when I say newbie.. I mean the people still going around plucking and eating raw carrots or berries from their source)

A TRULY OP and broken thing however is when everyone in a server is playing Walter. On Xbox 6 Walters: 9x6=54 Additional Portable Storage Slots. 

Since Walters Examination Quote for a bee confirms that he is “Deathly Allergic” I would like for Bee’s to be more of a Serious Threat to him, Dealing Damage over Time.. and Also being something that drains his Sanity when they’re near him. 

(Him not losing sanity from anything except getting hurt is a tad bit OP if your just playing this game for Sandbox Survival and aren’t out there actively fighting totally optional bosses)

Perhaps consider making his hunger drain rate more forgiving and instead focus entirely upon making his “Deathly Allergy” to Bee’s his biggest downside? <3 Thanks.

(this kids hunger makes me feel like his image should be attached to the Beast of the Bottomless Stomach Trophy..)

7 hours ago, Canis said:

Gold pellets are SUPER easy to mass-produce, in fact they are a self-supplying source. It's so easy in fact that I suspect that Klei might change it. Until then, gold pellets do everything that a stone pellet can do except better, so once you have a single piece of gold, you should never make another stone pellet again.

Maybe is to add variety and a non science required ammo for newcomers. They will not do a ruins rush to get a golden shower from PK. I see those like other times for beguiners like pretty parasol, sleep roll or grass armor.

At the end you dont have to even use the golden ones if you craft the thulecite ones, with few fragmets you get a lot of stacks 

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

his current & fairly extreme Hunger drain

As i seen he has no hunger drain modify, what he has is a small belly (110? I cant remenber right now) so you need the same amount of food that wilson but you cant eat to much (and recipes like meat stew are a waste)

26 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Maybe is to add variety and a non science required ammo for newcomers. They will not do a ruins rush to get a golden shower from PK. I see those like other times for beguiners like pretty parasol, sleep roll or grass armor.

At the end you dont have to even use the golden ones if you craft the thulecite ones, with few fragmets you get a lot of stacks 

As i seen he has no hunger drain modify, what he has is a small belly (110? I cant remenber right now) so you need the same amount of food that wilson but you cant eat to much (and recipes like meat stew are a waste)

Yeah I think so too, he seems to starve really fast, but he also seems to regain his hunger meter pretty fast too- I just wish it wasn’t as severe as it is now makes him feel like “Beast of the Bottomless Stomach type character.” But then again.... I can just live all day long off Butterflies 1 shooting them with the Slingshot, I’m just worried about an “Uncompromising Mode”

I can tell you from personal gameplay that I would struggle a lot with playing as Walter if Butterflies couldn’t be used anymore to heal Health & Hunger in a pinch. 

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah I think so too, he seems to starve really fast, but he also seems to regain his hunger meter pretty fast too- I just wish it wasn’t as severe as it is now makes him feel like “Beast of the Bottomless Stomach type character.” But then again.... I can just live all day long off Butterflies 1 shooting them with the Slingshot, I’m just worried about an “Uncompromising Mode”

I can tell you from personal gameplay that I would struggle a lot with playing as Walter if Butterflies couldn’t be used anymore to heal Health & Hunger in a pinch. 

You can use Blue caps if you need healing probably you will be already low sanity so is healing for free

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

“Uncompromising Mode”

We're not planning to screw with Walter in any big way, from what I can tell he is pretty balanced, given that Uncomp's insanity is a big threat and that Walter can lose his entire meter in a blink of an eye. We might shave off the filler perks like cooking faster over fire.

@Ogrecakes is really pushing for Woby to have health with HP regen instead of being invincible, but Im personally indifferent about it.

Archived