Is Warly the better challenge character?

While I was playing with my friend he was telling me he thinks that Warly is the real challenge character, and better built for DST than Wes since he can help with team play and doesn't drag the team down in the same way Wes does.

His points:

- Warly has the same hunger drain, and no food buffs to help him meet this hunger, only penalties for repeat dishes.

- Cannot eat non-crock pot foods.  This means he can't chow down on butterflies, berries, or carrots which sustain many characters through the early game or help stave off starvation when caught too far away from base.

- While Warly does eventually unlock some very good recipes and spices to empower him on several tasks, these are all weaker versions of other characters and actually can help them be even better compared to him...  If you want damage Warly can spice up a dish, but its not as good as picking Wolfgang.  He can chop trees and mine quickly but not as fast as Woodie.  Both of these characters have access to their abilities from day 1 while Warly has to go through an extensive process just to unlock these abilities.  Cherry on top?  Wolfgang and Woodie should just raid Warly's fridge.  They'll both get more done just taking his food then he'd ever get done alone.

- Last, but not least - the vast majority of healing is done through food.  Warly's food penalties apply to the healing effects as well.  While most characters, including Wes can stack on the perogies to tank their way through an encounter Warly must budget what healing he can do through food before he must resort to significantly less efficient non-food healing sources such as spider glans (8 health per use), healing salves (20 health, glan rock and ash to craft,) or honey poultice (30 health, papyrus and 2 honey.)

- Joke point - he is responsible for making Fresh Fruit Crepes for any friend who's playing Wes...

What do you think?

Warly and Wormwood are better challenge characters then Wes, I’ve been saying that for awhile now- but more importantly Warly and Wormwood are also plenty useful to a team and Wes well.. he’s not, hopefully they fix that with his Rework. :( 

Can you elaborate your third point please ? I fail to see how it makes Warly a challenge character. Support =/= challenge

Also, it is a bit weird I think to not compare Warly to Wormwood, especially on the first and fourth point.

My top challenge character based on difficulties/grinding

1.Wes

2.Wormwood (if you intend to fight bosses)

3. Warly

For a top about the fun/reward to actually play them on the long term, just reverse this one.

I dont see him as a challenge character. You have limited amount of healing food in fight but atleast can heal with food not like wormwood. Also, if you rush the farms and his kitchen, you dont have 0,75 damage like wes, you can get a lot more with his buffs (farming seeds is not that problematic in the 1st spring)

But yeah, you have to coordinate you time  better than with othera but nothing like wormwood. 

With warly is easier to do a ruin rush and the first bosses than with woormwood and after that you will have everything to be stronger than other characters. The food penalty is only noticiable in beequeen fight because you will tank more but with 2 kind of good healing food you should be.

Having 0.75 damage with wes, even id you can heal all you want, is more problematic that having to grind farms (werepigs exist) because of how difficult is to deal with multiple enemies (hounds doesnt fall with 2 hits or 3) and some bosses like toadstool (you will deal poor damage between chopping) or FW (same, everytime you can hit will be with low damage so 1 heal and you are scrub) also his hp and sanity let you less time to tank or fight without shadows

Tldr. Is not that hard than wormwood or wes. And in late game is so good meanwhile wes and woormwood will still being weak fighting

With a rabbit farm, Warly has access to Meat balls, Perogis, Meat Stew, Bacon and Eggs, Spicy Chili, Kabobs. If you have the time to locate something like this, there's no challenge at all; but if you're staring in winter with no friends or set up, I could see Warly as a bigger challenge than Wes.

8 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

With a rabbit farm, Warly has access to Meat balls, Perogis, Meat Stew, Bacon and Eggs, Spicy Chili, Kabobs. If you have the time to locate something like this, there's no challenge at all; but if you're staring in winter with no friends or set up, I could see Warly as a bigger challenge than Wes.

It reminds me that the most fun I had in this game since years was to start a solo world in Spring with Wormwood :butterfly:

Nah man, Warly is in NO WAY a challenge character.

I play solo and am currently on day 500ish playing only Warly, in fact I haven't even completed the celestial portal bc it's OP.

Yes, Warly plays differently, but his downside is not NEARLY as crippling as people make it out to be. Plus his buffs make hime a monter both in combat and in resource collection (including tearing down statues and junk piles in the ruins, lets see Woodie keep up on that chore).

Its not hard in ANY way to set up farms and a volt goat pen, it just takes time.

Taking time to farm is not a CHALLENGE lol, it's just an alternate playstyle.

Oh, and since ppl always bring it up, healing is not an issue... I farm the BQ for plenty of jelly beans, and carry healing salves (would be honey poultice, but my swamp is poorly located and sparse on reeds) for when I need faster healing. Those two are more than enough.

I love Warly, he has become my new main. Now I kinda wish I played with other ppl more so I could share his buffs and REALLY be OP!

Happy hunting out there ;D

Playing alone or on a private server Warly is pretty easy if you get a pig farm before 11 and/or a bunny one after it. In public you still can find a bunny village if all the pig houses are destroyed by the time you're there. In the very early game, he can easily make meatballs, turkey dinner, butter muffin, spicy chilly and froggle bunwich with turkey, moleworms, spiders, frogs and rabbits (not sure about rabbits) with or without an axe.

The only special food/seasoning you'll be able to make use in the early game without grinding for it too hard are volt goat jelly thingy if you're lucky by day 20ish with horns which you can use for dragonfly with a few 3 or 4 waterballoons, glow berry mousse for ruins rush and honey seasoning for ice I guess.

If you want some farm going on before the first winter it's better to gather 60-100 manures, make one single improved farm and use all the manure on that one farm, don't do this on a private server though, it would be a waste long term, do it only in public servers so you have a fast short term food resource while making sure no one takes the food growing if you were not there in case of a proper farm.

The big downside of Warly is having winter as the second season, that's about it. It really drags his slow early game even more until spring comes if no one is helping you building your food source.

He can even survive a mostly boat only gameplay, in theory as I haven't tested it yet, besides winter, as long as you have an onion (optionally a tomato one too) farm and a bird in there to make bone bouillon and moqueca.

A perk that is only useful if you're swimming in food is carrying temperature manipulating food in his chef pouch and munching on them while wearing some seasoning gear.

He is not hard, just harder. And a challenge only to those that don't know their food sources or is joining day 26+ (but so is most of the characters). Spring is where you shine.

6 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Wolfgang and Woodie should just raid Warly's fridge.  They'll both get more done just taking his food then he'd ever get done alone.

This is what bothers me the most about Warly, not that he's a support or that generally has a harder setup to get him going, but that he gets no late game advantage over his penalties. Most characters can either overcome their penalties through development, or they get some extra perks which makes them unique as you progress in the game.

Shouldn't Warly get more time out of his food special effects duration, at least?

Eg: Glowberry mousse makes any character glow for 2 days, when he eats it he'd glow 3 days. Spicy meatballs makes any char have more damage for a day, if he eats that he'd get it for 1.5 days. Etc.

Something worth of keeping him for fights and raids, as mentioned earlier by others just the challenge is probably not enough for a Warly that already reached access to farms, honeyfarm, spiderfarms and a bunnyfarm. He could very well just spam spiced powdercakes and switch.

In my opinion Warly is the best challenge character until you have a good setup, usually by the first spring. Then the challenge is pretty much gone, and its just more annoying that you have to wait that much to start doing all the things any other character could have started doing (without rushing) by day 10, without never getting anything good from all the effort in return.

16 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Eg: Glowberry mousse makes any character glow for 2 days, when he eats it he'd glow 3 days. Spicy meatballs makes any char have more damage for a day, if he eats that he'd get it for 1.5 days. Etc.

That sounds more like a boost which makes him stick more on Meaty Stew and to share more dishes with other players, but will that boost him in any way? I mean he already is the only one who has the ability to make his dishes, and in late game you'll have access to whatever ingredients you want to have.

Also +50% duration on buffs still doesn't sound as good as no additional penalties on food and -50% required time & preparation on tasks

54 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Shouldn't Warly get more time out of his food special effects duration, at least?

I have to agree. The only problem with Warly is that he can be a craft'n'switch character like Winona.

This is the only change Warly needs imo

23 minutes ago, Raeku said:

I have to agree. The only problem with Warly is that he can be a craft'n'switch character like Winona.

This is the only change Warly needs imo

craft'n'switch sounds like a problem with the portal to me

3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

There's no need to touch the portal if you got an alternate account, or a friend joining and making the dishes you want for you.

4 minutes ago, Well-met said:

or with people. I didnt use it and i dont have problem with players using warlys food and catapults with wolfgang to kill stuff, if they want is their game. For me, i prefer to dont switch so every world with every character is different

9 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

There's no need to touch the portal if you got an alternate account, or a friend joining and making the dishes you want for you.

if you're using a second computer or bother a friend to join for mere minutes just so you can abuse perks, you've got some mad issues that have nothing to do with the game.

Sorry to continue driving this off topic but while we are on the subject of giving Warly meaningful perks that can't just be applied to powdercake and switch off of him, I have an odd idea. At first I figured that Warly should just make dishes that have better stats as an upside (similar to single player, but shared to all players), but I think I found a way that would still promote him to rely on a variety, although it is really needlessly complicated.

What if crockpot dishes made by Warly did have 20% better hunger/health/sanity stats ONLY if they aren't on his 2 day variety timer? Maybe a reason for this is that if he doesn't really have the drive to eat something, he won't put as much passion into it resulting in it coming out like any other survivor's cooking? Theoretically on paper this would promote Warly to cook the normal meatballs, pierogi, meta for everyone else since they are easy and he can make a lot of them while not really relying on them himself except early game. While he dishing out the simple recipes with better stats for the other survivors, he could rely on the lesser used recipes for himself. (Note: making a dish while it is on the 2 day variety cooldown period will not result in the dish being less than normal, no matter the stage. This is purely a minor upside that can be more used the later on in game when you can start relying on non meta foods)

thx for the feedback.  I didn't reply to any questions because it wasn't really my own thoughts.  It was something my friend was saying when we were playing last.  Ironically he's a Wormwood main and was the one who made this observation lol.

To answer the post though, I think he is a challenging character comparatively, but he's not an anchor to the team. Honestly imo he is right where he should be conceptually; A support character who sacrifices their own survivability for the greater good of the team. The issue is that his buffs are nice to have but should be stronger/should have more than just 4 spices to choose from (salt spice is bad and it should feel bad)

59 minutes ago, Well-met said:

if you're using a second computer or bother a friend to join for mere minutes just so you can abuse perks, you've got some mad issues that have nothing to do with the game.

Well then, welcome to the reality of DST. You might need to stop playing too much solo and join some public servers to get some real experience, I see almost everyday players here who ask for what character they should pick and they end up picking Warly, making Volt Goat Jelly (and Wet Goop or Taffy), but at the end they end up being killed by a spider -> Ragequit!

It's a daily routine here and there's almost no difference between if a unfamiliar or a familiar player joins and gets ordered to pick Warly and to make Volt Goat Jelly before leaving, except that the familiar one has higher chance to manage to make Volt Goat Jelly on the first try.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

To answer the post though, I think he is a challenging character comparatively, but he's not an anchor to the team. Honestly imo he is right where he should be conceptually; A support character who sacrifices their own survivability for the greater good of the team. The issue is that his buffs are nice to have but should be stronger/should have more than just 4 spices to choose from (salt spice is bad and it should feel bad)

salt is easy to farm and makes no necessary to cook a lot for fighting  (which is good when a character cant spam food)

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

salt is easy to farm and makes no necessary to cook a lot for fighting  (which is good when a character cant spam food)

That’s all well and good, but for being the only spice you need to leave the main island for, it is pretty  underwhelming. 

Yea salt is pretty pointless tbh

Edit: But, to be fair, I have done next to no sailing and havent even gathered any yet. I just didnt feel the need to with jelly beans and healing salve. I guess if I had a ton of salt laying around I might throw it on a pierogi or something

8 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

That sounds more like a boost which makes him stick more on Meaty Stew and to share more dishes with other players, but will that boost him in any way? I mean he already is the only one who has the ability to make his dishes, and in late game you'll have access to whatever ingredients you want to have.

Also +50% duration on buffs still doesn't sound as good as no additional penalties on food and -50% required time & preparation on tasks

Well it could be 100% extra time, I said 50% just to say a number. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

What if crockpot dishes made by Warly did have 20% better hunger/health/sanity stats ONLY if they aren't on his 2 day variety timer? Maybe a reason for this is that if he doesn't really have the drive to eat something, he won't put as much passion into it resulting in it coming out like any other survivor's cooking?

That could be as well. These 2 things could go hand by hand, in my opinion.

Archived