The devs need to focus more on fixing bugs

DST was a fun and original game that was a lot of fun, but right now tho... They are so many bugs that need to be fixed. Bugs literally ruin almost every boss fight.

First of all, the Moose-Goose. She randomly despawns with the player right next to her while the nest is close to her. Also, she is supposed to use her special attack after attacking you with her normal attacks 3 times. She does not respect that pattern at all: she often does a special attack after 2 hits or something similar. 2 bugs for one boss fight. Yikes.

Then, the Dragonfly. When all of her lavaes are dead, she is supposed to enrage. Instead, she often goes back for her lavaes. So instead of the normal 3 times, (the wiki says it for anyone who says this is not a bug. Also look at old gameplay and see this was never happening before. Also, realize that there is no patch notes saying that it is now random if she enrages or not after the death of all her lavaes) she goes for them 4, 5 or even 6 times! It makes for a very long fight. Also, it punishes players who want to fight her using legit methods: wanna play without walls to fight bravely without cheating? To bad! It is really dumb that the game forces you to cheese her if you do not want to lose to one of the many bugs in this game.

Now, lets talk about the Bee Queen. I once fought her: I was in phase 3 or 4. She sent her grumble bees. I went far away and came back. I was right next to her when she despawned! Literally, she was in range to hit me, but no no no, she chose to fly away. Try to tell me this is a cool feature. Like come on.

And now, it is time to talk about hit boxes... "Get a good computer and a good internet connection". My internet connection is already excellent and my pc is average. I play other games and do not experience lag issues on them. Yet in DST, even if I remove caves, turn of lag compensation and disable a couple of settings, I still get hit weirdly. Dragonfly hits further than normal, my attack rate is random, screwing the timing against Dragonfly. I get hit by Bee Queen and I see there is no honey on the place I got hit (Bee Queen hits leave honey on the ground, it is not normal that I get hit at a place where is does not leave honey). I did not forget the shadow rook, which sometimes hit you even if we can see that his body clearly did not touch you at all when he reappeared. Like if I took something to measure, I am sure I could see at least 3-5 millimeters between me and the rook.

Now, I have fought Bee Queen, Dragonfly, Moose Goose Klaus, Deerclops, Bearger and Antlion. For all of these bosses, we have a total of 6 bugs, not excluding hitboxes. This mean that, on average, we have almost one game breaking bug per boss. And I do not even know all of them Really? Klei, before adding more content, please try to fix at least some of these bugs. Your game is really original and fun, but not being able to fight bosses simply because this game has so many bugs is heartbreaking.

Ps: Please excuse any mistakes I might have made, English is not my first language.

Agreed for the most part.

Moose seems to randomly lose aggro mid-fight but I suppose that's just because the player was out of range with the nest.

Dfly weird behavior was reported by some other folks a while ago

Attack rate changing randomly is a legitimate issue which I've personally felt aswell

Getting hit by things though is pretty normal. Bosses have large attack ranges so you shouldn't actually expect to not get hit by mega shadow rooks or bee queen. You might think too high of yourself there.

Mostly I agree with OP. But you know what's funny: some time ago there were people (the classic-by-now "try-hard elitists") asking for bosses and mobs to get totally random attack patterns saying "fights will be more engaging". Seems it flew over their heads such change would only encourage 1 single fight option: tank it all ("la1k a B0$$"). Heh :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Mostly I agree with OP. But you know what's funny: some time ago there were people (the classic-by-now "try-hard elitists") asking for bosses and mobs to get totally random attack patterns saying "fights will be more engaging". Seems it flew over their heads such change would only encourage 1 single fight option: tank it all ("la1k a B0$$"). Heh :rolleyes:

sure, try to tank iron hulk and tell me and his patter atack is not just hit every 2 seconds with the same atack

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

sure, try to tank iron hulk and tell me and his patter atack is not just hit every 2 seconds

hamlet is not relevant with dst, even less so when DS1 has no latency concerns

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

hamlet is not relevant with dst, even less so when DS1 has no latency concerns

is relevant since when hamlet and new reing was release all the bosses have more than just 1 atack and unique mechanic

latency is a personal problem not for the game itself

39 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

sure, try to tank iron hulk and tell me and his patter atack is not just hit every 2 seconds with the same atack

1) Iron Hulk isn't in DST;

2) Iron Hulk doesn't have totally random attacks;

3) in DST latency plays a role even in case of personal servers (not to mention rest of them pub dedicated or personal servers) - do remember those past posts in which people complained they lag even on self-hosted servers because of various reasons (server on player's computer, yet host was red connectivity-wise).

And in fact, with loads of armor sets (head and torso) and healing items, you can tank Iron Hulk as well. Your game, your play-style. It so happens is lot convenient (and economic) to not do so in IH's situation. Plus: IK has 3k life and armor in DS stacks, as opposed to DST where it doesn't and bosses are HP sponges.

Thus I fail to see how your argument is a pro for "rightfully demanding totally random attack mobs/bosses" - I suppose that's your stance, yes?

8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

1) Iron Hulk isn't in DST;

2) Iron Hulk doesn't have totally random attacks;

3) in DST latency plays a role even in case of personal servers (not to mention rest of them pub dedicated or personal servers) - do remember those past posts in which people complained they lag even on self-hosted servers because of various reasons (server on player's computer, yet host was red connectivity-wise).

And in fact, with loads of armor sets (head and torso) and healing items, you can tank Iron Hulk as well. Your game, your play-style. It so happens is lot convenient (and economic) to not do so in IH's situation. Plus: IK has 3k life and armor in DS stacks, as opposed to DST where it doesn't and bosses are HP sponges.

Thus I fail to see how your argument is a pro for "rightfully demanding totally random attack mobs/bosses" - I suppose that's your stance, yes?

1) ?

2) but has too many that is not like "now he will do this, after this he will do that, blabla" has variety so is not predictable that just counting a number and kite you must to pay attencion to his animations

3) if we have to take in count that people/the game has bugs or net problems then all online games will fall in the same. Is supporse that everything is working well. Far away servers doesnt count, if you want to join into a server with +100 ping is your problem. The hoster should have less than 20ms if he has a sigle XXI connection and the players who joins will not get more than 80ms if they are in the same country, like in every game.

IH was only an example of how a boss can have variety of attacks without being predictable. You can tank him but as you said is so expensive (and way more dangerous). A example could be revived Klaus but he has a lock pattern but more flexible 

Yes, i would like to see mobs and bosses with more variety of behavoids and attacks not just a boring 10 min fight counting numbers

3 hours ago, chenais said:

She randomly despawns with the player right next to her while the nest is close to her

Never seen this in 8000 hours so can't comment on that.

she is supposed to use her special attack after attacking you with her normal attacks 3 times

Incorrect. Her honk has a cooldown. Now if you kite her perfectly without any extra down time, this happens to coincide with 3 regular attacks, but if you add in a delay by over kiting, then she can honk after two or even 1 attack. 

When all of her lavaes are dead, she is supposed to enrage

Incorrect. She has a 50% chance to enrage if the last lavae dies from time and 100% chance if the player killed it.

I went far away and came back. I was right next to her when she despawned!

Correct. You went far away and this triggered her to begin her despawn animation. She does not stop this just because you came back close. Working as intended. This is a cool feature because it means that the player can't disengage from the fight, heal up safely, and then come back in; it forces the player to heal or craft more armor in the heat of battle.

Dragonfly hits further than normal

Never experienced in 8000 hours so can't comment on this aside from that I've fought this boss many many times and never seen it.

Bee Queen hits leave honey on the ground

Partially correct. She leaves honey scattered around the ground but not necessarily on you. So it is normal that you got hit in a place that does not have honey. Honey is not her attack, it's just sloshing out of her randomly while she hits you with her stinger. Sometimes it lands under you sometimes it doesn't. 

sometimes hit you even if we can see that his body clearly did not touch you at all when he reappeared

Never experienced in 8000 hours so can't comment on this aside from that I've fought this boss many many times and never seen it. 

we have a total of 6 bugs

From my count, you posted 3 possible hitbox bugs which likely comes down to your personal computer or internet connection. The other "bugs" you encountered seem to be simple misunderstandings of boss mechanics. I hope this post helps you against these bosses in the future if your computer starts to cooperate and run the game smoothly. 

@Misuto

1) Well for the Moose-Goose honk a regular patern would be better. In single player she does 3 hits and then honk. She also used to respect that petern. Can you show me the patch notes proving this changed? 

2) For the hitbox bugs, I saw videos showcasing them, so its not just me. And Ican confirm that I do not lag on other games, and it should especially not occur if I am the host on a solo world.

3) The Shadow Rook has this weird hitbox when you dodge in a square, this is what I am talking about.

4) Bee Queen attacks leave honey where they were landed. So in her attack range there is honey dropped.

5) I did not go far for long: I just lured the grumble bees away in phase 3. Saying that I need to git gud is a poor argument cause I could just cheese her and simply use the wall glitch.

6) The dragonfly used to always enrage when all lavaes were dead. Can you show me the patch notes where it sayed that it was the correct behaviour? Also here is a comment on another post complaining about this issue:

It's a bug.

Specifically there's a race condition between the last lavae automatically dying after 30 seconds, and something which resets the amount of lavae in the wave. This means two things are trying to proc at the same time.

In the proc onLavaeDeath, it checks if this is the last lavae in the wave, if it's true, the dragonfly enrages.

There's also a timer that's reset every time a lavae spawns, for 30 seconds, so basically the lavae is set to die in 30 seconds, and there's a timer for 30 seconds at the same time.

What does this timer do? Reset the amount of lavae in the wave. But code can't run two things at the same time, so it chooses randomly.

If onLavaeDeath procs first on the last lavae's natural death, then the dragonfly will enrage.

If the timer procs first, then the amount of lavae in the wave will be reset, and the onLavaeDeath check will not see it as the last lavae in the wave, and the dragonfly will continue spawning.

Also maybe an interesting thought I just had, if you could keep the dragonfly asleep for 30 seconds the timer would technically proc, food for thought I guess.

So what can we do to get around this? Well just avoid natural lavae deaths to avoid the race condition. If you flute before the dragonfly spawns the last lavae, most of the other lavae will die naturally, then the last lavae will spawn alone, free for you to kill for a consistent enrage. I use that strategy in this video.

It's interesting to note this though, this bug is easily fixed.

The timer for resetting the lavae wave is worthless because the dragonfly automatically calls the proc to reset the amount of lavae when it reaches the specific health points where it should spawn lavae anyways. If they wanted this to be random this is a bad and confusing way of doing it anyways. It's clearly a bug aka "feature"

Removing the timer made the dragonfly fight function as it seemingly should for me when I edited it out in the code.

7)

The moose goose is giving me goosebumps  as she often comes near my base while her nest is two screen away from my base. First I thought she came following me but on one spring i cave from cave and I found she was destroying my beefalo fence.

10 hours ago, chenais said:

DST was a fun and original game that was a lot of fun, but right now tho... They are so many bugs that need to be fixed. Bugs literally ruin almost every boss fight.

First of all, the Moose-Goose. She randomly despawns with the player right next to her while the nest is close to her. Also, she is supposed to use her special attack after attacking you with her normal attacks 3 times. She does not respect that pattern at all: she often does a special attack after 2 hits or something similar. 2 bugs for one boss fight. Yikes.

idk I think this is just part of her flighty nature.  She can easily de-aggro, and her honk is not set to every 3rd attack.  If you keep her attention throughout the fight she is very easy to take out, but if you kite too far away and she loses interest it can change.  MGoose is who I refer to whenever people say DST needs random attacks or other less predictable mobs.  Mgoose is already that, and it sucks.  I wouldn't say it sucks so much that it's broken and needs to be fixed - except for one instance, which is Mgoose despawning.

I've had it a few times where I'm fighting her and she will fly away mid fight.  Lose aggro for 1 moment and have the whole fight reset?  nothx.

Then, the Dragonfly. When all of her lavaes are dead, she is supposed to enrage. Instead, she often goes back for her lavaes. So instead of the normal 3 times, (the wiki says it for anyone who says this is not a bug. Also look at old gameplay and see this was never happening before. Also, realize that there is no patch notes saying that it is now random if she enrages or not after the death of all her lavaes) she goes for them 4, 5 or even 6 times! It makes for a very long fight. Also, it punishes players who want to fight her using legit methods: wanna play without walls to fight bravely without cheating? To bad! It is really dumb that the game forces you to cheese her if you do not want to lose to one of the many bugs in this game.

I'm not sure what is "supposed" to happen, but I feel lately I've had a lot of fights where Dfly just keeps summoning lavae nearly endlessly stretching a fight that can be done in about 1 day into a 2-3 day endeavor...  If it is a bug it should be fixed, if it isn't I wish they would change it <_<  I hate wasting 3 days fighting dfly.  Not everyone has a team of 3-4 to dogpile her into repeated stuns for an ez kill.

And now, it is time to talk about hit boxes... "Get a good computer and a good internet connection". My internet connection is already excellent and my pc is average. I play other games and do not experience lag issues on them. Yet in DST, even if I remove caves, turn of lag compensation and disable a couple of settings, I still get hit weirdly. Dragonfly hits further than normal, my attack rate is random, screwing the timing against Dragonfly. I get hit by Bee Queen and I see there is no honey on the place I got hit (Bee Queen hits leave honey on the ground, it is not normal that I get hit at a place where is does not leave honey). I did not forget the shadow rook, which sometimes hit you even if we can see that his body clearly did not touch you at all when he reappeared. Like if I took something to measure, I am sure I could see at least 3-5 millimeters between me and the rook.

Hitboxes are always quirky like this.  The game doesn't see the graphics when it detects for hitbox collision so its very possible to have the graphics not line up 100% with the actual game logic to determine if you're hit or not.  Top that off with latency issues and its hard to say something is a bug or if you just saw something that didn't look right because of x,y,z.  Unless it was a situation where you were clearly away from the monster, and it was a consistent and reproducible issue, I wouldn't even consider this a bug.

14 hours ago, chenais said:

<snip>

Well since you have these in your view "bugs", should you not report them to the Bug Tracker?

Reason for a lack of bug fixes is due to the fact that not many bugs are reported. The devs are always quick to squash any bugs reported within a few days or even hours. Just follow ScottHansen, one of the prominent bug fixers and he makes change-logs about them.

"It's not that they don't focus on fixing bugs, but there is a lack of bugs reported to be fixed by the devs."

I can't use my client mod.Every time I enter the main interface, the game controller is detected, but I do not connect any game controller, I only connect the keyboard and mouse.But I solved this problem by checking auto login again.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, Misuto said:

Never seen this in 8000 hours so can't comment on that.

Incorrect. Her honk has a cooldown. Now if you kite her perfectly without any extra down time, this happens to coincide with 3 regular attacks, but if you add in a delay by over kiting, then she can honk after two or even 1 attack. 

Incorrect. She has a 50% chance to enrage if the last lavae dies from time and 100% chance if the player killed it.

Correct. You went far away and this triggered her to begin her despawn animation. She does not stop this just because you came back close. Working as intended. This is a cool feature because it means that the player can't disengage from the fight, heal up safely, and then come back in; it forces the player to heal or craft more armor in the heat of battle.

Partially correct. She leaves honey scattered around the ground but not necessarily on you. So it is normal that you got hit in a place that does not have honey. Honey is not her attack, it's just sloshing out of her randomly while she hits you with her stinger. Sometimes it lands under you sometimes it doesn't. 

From my count, you posted 3 possible hitbox bugs which likely comes down to your personal computer or internet connection. The other "bugs" you encountered seem to be simple misunderstandings of boss mechanics. I hope this post helps you against these bosses in the future if your computer starts to cooperate and run the game smoothly. 

@Misuto is a *junior* member?! LOL

Archived