Discussing the Wortox-Woodie Combo.

So I play Wortox, and I can collect souls. Souls can be used to travel long distances, and fill hunger while deplete sanity. But the most important thing that you can do with souls is that you can heal Wortox and nearby allies. This is what makes this combo work. Then comes Woodie, with his recent rework he can turn into a WereMoose wherever he wants, whenever he wants. A lot of people say that the WereMoose is only worth big hordes of mobs and is an easy way to clear bees and spiders. For me, three monster meat and two cut grass seems a lot better than trying to find pig skins and mass produce football helmets along with dark swords and ham bats. The WereMoose gets the damage output of a normal player with a ham bat and gets a 90% damage reduction from any mob. That's not op, but it's not bad either. The only problem is, the WereMoose can't heal while in this state. That's where Wortox comes in, around 19 health per soul is enough to keep the WereMoose healed up for even he longest boss fights. The WereMoose tanks while the Wortox releases souls.

It's such an effective combo, yet, as far as I know, I am the only one that's used it apart from a handful of people. It's better than you think.

Wanna rush Dragonfly? Get three monster meat, 2 cut grass, and around 6-7 souls. Have the Woodie turn into the WereMoose and tank the Dragonfly, and for the first phase Wortox should only use about 3-4 souls. Then the Dragonfly spawn Lavea, build a cage to keep them out, and Wortox now has about 10 more souls from the first wave of Lavea. Continue tanking, rinse and repeat until she's dead. It also works marvelously against seasonal bosses such as Moose Goose, Bearger, and Deerclops. Hear Bearger growling in the distance? Grab an idol or two, grab some souls, and you're all set.

Of course, for bosses with larger health pools that don't spawn in souls throughout the fight, like Toadstool, you may have to snatch some bees for Wortox's soul stash halfway through the fight, and the Woodie may have to make some more idols. The Woodie tanks while the Wortox chops.

As far as I know this combo works quite nicely for all bosses, except for a handful. Bee Queen was a sort of a bust maybe? I dunno, but all I am saying is that this combo is really cheap. Three monster meat and two grass is easy enough, and souls are souls are easy enough to grab as well. I'm NOT saying this is the best combo throughout the game, or that this is the best method to kill harder bosses. I'm saying that this combo is really easy to execute, and I'm surprised that it isn't used as much as it could be. 

Ideas? Opinions? I'm open to discuss. Any other survivors that could add to the mix? The only one I've used is Wendy's sister, Abigail, to mass murder bees and monkeys for easy souls. 

2 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

Ideas? Opinions? I'm open to discuss. Any other survivors that could add to the mix? The only one I've used is Wendy's sister, Abigail, to mass murder bees and monkeys for easy souls. 

Wendy would definitely be a good addition to that team, since Abigail now weakens any mob she's attacking, this allows Weremoose to deal even more damage, and with ectoherbology, Abigail could even tank a few hits herself, saving Wortox's souls. This would especially be good for dragonfly, since dfly is a single target boss. :encouragement:

57 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Wendy would definitely be a good addition to that team, since Abigail now weakens any mob she's attacking, this allows Weremoose to deal even more damage, and with ectoherbology, Abigail could even tank a few hits herself, saving Wortox's souls. This would especially be good for dragonfly, since dfly is a single target boss. :encouragement:

Yeah, as I've seen with the results, Wendy and Abigail has definitely proven that they are a worthwhile addition to the team, during preparation and during the actual fight. Especially with the Dragonfly fight, as she makes it easier to stun and farm a scale off of Dragonfly while she's stunned.

Its a really cool idea for a combo. Woodie is a really powerfull and cheap option to do alot of things in the game,be it mass murder or Resource gathering, the lumberjack got you covered. And for wortox his healing is really op. You could just make a butterfly farm and you will have more souls than youll ever need. The two work togather pretty well,this is something to consider when there is a wortox and woodie on the server. 

idk - I had never really played Woodie, but decided to start checking him out because a friend wanted to play him.  He seems like an all around solid pick for everything.  I think I might start playing him when I go on pubs because he's going to help with every angle of ship building to get me out there and fishing fast.

19 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

Its a really cool idea for a combo. Woodie is a really powerfull and cheap option to do alot of things in the game,be it mass murder or Resource gathering, the lumberjack got you covered. And for wortox his healing is really op. You could just make a butterfly farm and you will have more souls than youll ever need. The two work togather pretty well,this is something to consider when there is a wortox and woodie on the server. 

Yeah, ever since his rework he has become way more helpful. Also effective with rushing lunar island and the ruins as Goose.

14 hours ago, TopNoob said:

You turn back to woodie without a hat so yeah not that great. 

Also a woodie under the effect of jelly bean and garlic powder cake is better

Uh? Elaborate please? I understand that when he transforms into the WereMoose, he loses all equipped items. But, he keeps his inventory, so if you want to have your tam right after, just put it into your inventory. The idea is that the boss is dead before he transforms back. I don't really understand what you're saying.

And, yes, I do know that Jelly Beans and better dishes can help, but suppose you don't have a Warly or the Bee Queen hasn't been killed? This is just an idea for if the two are online. Also, WereMoose has a 90% damage reduction, so the Garlic Powder would sort of be overdoing it. It isn't necessary.

13 hours ago, Shosuko said:

idk - I had never really played Woodie, but decided to start checking him out because a friend wanted to play him.  He seems like an all around solid pick for everything.  I think I might start playing him when I go on pubs because he's going to help with every angle of ship building to get me out there and fishing fast.

Good luck!

19 hours ago, Lakurius said:

garbage combo imo

Alright then.

I have quite an experience with the reworked woodie by now (about 1000 hours just with him!) and I can confirm that Woodie and Wortox are indeed a good combo. Not OP, but good enough to deal with many situations in the cheapest way. Also the combo goes beyond fighting as the moose, as Wortox has no gathering advantages (can't even recruit pigs to chop trees) and can't use mobs as allies, whereas Woodie can provide all the gathering needs, has extra chances to spawn treeguards (supplying living logs for Wortox to have dark sword damage in fights) and can bring befriended bunnymen to battles, with the added advantage of having bonus loyalty time.

As a matter of fact the combination of Weremoose, Wortox with a hambat and a beehat, and Wendy with hambat and beehat, is the cheapest way we've defeated bee queen in the early game. No perogis, or anything else. Weremoose just tanking bee queen, Abi and Wendy handling the grumbles, and Wortox adding damage and healing everyone from the souls of dead grumbles.

As for dragonfly, I found easier to make the wall method and just wait until she stops spawning lavae, instead of having to chase her around and fight the lavae. You can keep your transformation up, by punching chester or a lureplant, once every time your weremeter accelerates, while you wait. Also this only works with friends who can use the panflute, I would never recommend to try to solo Dfly as the moose, since enraged Dfly will most likely kill you.

As for toadstool, I found much more convenient to use human Woodie chopping the mushtrees. I know the moose is good because of the saved armor and saved weapon, but I find the mushtrees being a more important problem to solve fast, rather than keeping the moose there punching. I'd probably go moose if we had another human Woodie chopping, or plenty of glass axes and/or weather pains for the other players. Human Woodie is priceless for that fight IMHO.

Klaus can be soloed with 2 moose idols easily, with a Wortox its just faster and even easier. Deerclops can be soloed facetanking with the moose and a max fuel campfire, again, Wortox just makes it faster and easier. Same goes for antlion, you can easily solo her with just an idol, Wortox lets you facetank her without jellybeans, making the process faster and cheaper.

As a general rule of thumb in team games the moose is the damage sponge that will save weapons and armor out of the other players, Wortox just makes your job a lot easier and cheaper. In the absence of a wortox, the second best thing to do that, are jellybeans.

3 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

Even more secrets, EH? 

Alright, Alright! My secret combo is...

Spoiler

My Charlie character mod with Maxy, not only she is the assistant, as Charlie you go insane faster at dusk and night, and you have low max sanity... and you are able to farm loads of nightmare fuel! That can be used by Maxy to summon shadow puppets!

7 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Alright, Alright! My secret combo is...

Reveal hidden contents

My Charlie character mod with Maxy, not only she is the assistant, as Charlie you go insane faster at dusk and night, and you have low max sanity... and you are able to farm loads of nightmare fuel! That can be used by Maxy to summon shadow puppets!

What’s her quote when examining a player that is Maxwell?

7 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Interesting secrets i see. 

Thanks for sharing. 

My best friend plays Woodie, and then there’s me... I play every character in the game from time to time- I started playing characters who haven’t been reworked yet a heck of a lot less though, because I don’t want to get too used to how they play NOW and then end up Not liking them once they get their Rework. Instead I play mostly just the ones who HAVE been Reworked now, and I really love how most of them make you feel like your playing a completely different game.. as Wendy managing Abigail & the Divining Rod game mechanic becomes a core part of your gameplay, as Willow carrying around hound teeth & spider silk to craft sewing kits with & at least two bernies and Sanity manipulating items becomes a core part of your gameplay. 

I hope all characters end up feeling different enough that each of them end up being fun and unique to play as. 

To be honest I mostly play Wendy, Winona, Wickerbottom and Willow since I prefer playing with characters that are my genders however I also play with Wortox a lot since they are awesome! I haven’t tried this combo yet, I’ll see if I can get my friend to try out this combo with me! ^^

This seems like an amazing combo especially because of weremoose.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I have quite an experience with the reworked woodie by now (about 1000 hours just with him!) and I can confirm that Woodie and Wortox is indeed a good combo. Not OP, but good enough to deal with many situations in the cheapest way. Also the combo goes beyond fighting as the moose, as Wortox has no gathering advantages (can't even recruit pigs to chop trees) and can't use mobs as allies, whereas woodie can provide all the gathering needs, has extra chances to spawn treeguards (supplying living logs for wortox to have dark sword damage in fights) and can bring befriended bunnymen to battles, with the added advantage of having bonus loyalty time.

As a matter of fact the combination of Weremoose, Wortox with a hambat and a beehat, and wendy with hambat and beehat, is the cheapest way we've defeated bee queen in the early game. No perogis, or anything else. Weremoose just tanking bee queen, Abi and wendy handling the grumbles, and wortox adding damage and healing everyone from the souls of dead grumbles.

As for Dragonfly, I found easier to make the wall method and just wait until she stops spawning lavae, instead of having to chase her around and fight the lavae. You can keep yor transformation up by punching chester, or a lureplant, once every time your weremetter accelerates, while you wait. Also this only works with friends who can use the panflute, I would never recommend to try to solo Dfly as the moose since enraged dfly will most likely kill you.

As for toadstool, I found much more convenient to use human woodie chopping the mushtrees. I know the moose is good because of the saved armor and saved weapon, but I find the mushtrees being a more important problem to solve fast rather than keeping the moose there punching. I'd probably go moose if we had another human woodie chopping, or plenty of glass axes and/or weather pains for the other players. Human Woodie is priceless for that fight IMHO.

Klaus can be soloed with 2 moose idols easily, with a wortox its just faster and easier. Deerclops can be soloed facetanking with the moose as well and a max fuel campfire, again, Wortox just makes it faster and easier. Same goes for antlion, you can easily solo her with just an idol, Wortox lets you facetank her without jellybeans, making the process faster and cheaper.

As a general rule of thumb in team games the moose is the damage sponge that will save weapons and armor out of the other players, Wortox just makes your job a lot easier. In the absence of a wortox, the second best thing to do that, are jellybeans.

Glad to see another person who uses this!

3 hours ago, MagicalSkies said:

To be honest I mostly play Wendy, Winona, Wickerbottom and Willow since I prefer playing with characters that are my genders however I also play with Wortox a lot since they are awesome! I haven’t tried this combo yet, I’ll see if I can get my friend to try out this combo with me! ^^

This seems like an amazing combo especially because of weremoose.

You can put any character in a dress...

Spoiler

woodie-outfit-001.jpg.4897ca4e2ede15227cb00bfbf44ed901.jpg

woodie-outfit-002.jpg.9b0d5ada423f1f3660e83225d55ae287.jpg

woodie-outfit-003.jpg.2f995617ea622fed3edba17a61c0f944.jpg

Archived