Steam turbines per volcano?

Is there a rule of thumb that dictates how many steam turbines you need to successfully harvest all of the energy of any magma volcano submerged in water?

I am in a pretty poor environment in terms of means to obtain energy so I need igneous rock to feed hatches for coal and volcanoes for power.

What do you mean by "magma volcano submerged in water"?

I made one of these setups to work as a desalination station and I'm supplying 5 in-line turbines with steam. They produce over 500w each. I haven't tried it yet but you can also do a series-parallel combo and you can potentially increase to another row (so perhaps 10 turbines).

PS: my volcano is regular and I assume you would need quite a lot of magma for a big setup

4 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

Is there a rule of thumb that dictates how many steam turbines you need to successfully harvest all of the energy of any magma volcano submerged in water?

Don't submerged it in water, you will dilute too much the heat.

First, you need to go there : https://oni-db.com/details/steamturbine2

You will see this : -789.83 kDTU/s (heat remove)

Then go here to see how much DTU/s generate your volcano : https://oni-assistant.com/tools/geysercalculator

Here's the value on average :

Volcano : 2,4 millions DTU/s - 3 turbines (2550 Watts)

Minor Volcano : 970 000 DTU/s - 1,2 turbines (860 Watts)

Iron Volcano : 300 000 DTU/s - Less than 1 turbine (370 Watts)

Copper Volcano : 260 000 DTU/s - Less than 1 turbine (330 Watts)

Geothermy is a poor solution to make electricity. Use the heat to cook your crude oil. But if you want to do it, here's a setup :

I am in a pretty poor environment in terms of means to obtain energy so I need igneous rock to feed hatches for coal and volcanoes for power.

You're not poor, you begin the game so you don't know how to optimize your asteroid. First, you didn't enough visit your asteroid, you have ton and ton of coal on it, just don't stay in the start biome.

You want a lot of electricity (10 000 to 15 000 Watts)? Do a crude oil boiler with the magma in your oil biome. Check "Francis John" for that.

boiler1.thumb.png.e1957c27654bb5d7c6f892a8d52b6fb6.png

I cannot tap into my magma biome at the moment because the oil biome is a multi-liquid mess that will need to be cleared first. Brothgar's design is way too hot to put automated shipping in there. I got quite a bit of mouths to feed... funny I mention that since a hatch is basically a giant mouth on legs with a butt. :D

12 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

I cannot tap into my magma biome at the moment because the oil biome is a multi-liquid mess that will need to be cleared first. Brothgar's design is way too hot to put automated shipping in there. I got quite a bit of mouths to feed... funny I mention that since a hatch is basically a giant mouth on legs with a butt. :D

A volcano can only feed 3-4 hatchs maximum, so you should forget this idea. ;)

You have tons of sandstone then sedimentary rock to feed them during thousand cycle.

16 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Here's the value on average :

Minor Volcano : 970 000 DTU/s - 1,2 turbines (860 Watts)

Iron Volcano : 300 000 DTU/s - Less than 1 turbine (370 Watts)

Copper Volcano : 260 000 DTU/s - Less than 1 turbine (330 Watts)

Are you sure about those averages? According to the wiki, a minor volcano on average outputs half of a regular volcano.

20 hours ago, SamLogan said:

I think that's not entirely true. Only 2 turbines could be used, if the turbines should produce all the time. You used the wrong value for the calculation (Wrong: "Per Eruption Cycle"  Right: "Per Activity Cycle"). And i think 2 turbines are only correct, if you don't bringt the condensed water back in the steam-camber. Otherwise the number of turbines should be a bit lower then 2.

Why is it a bad idea to submerge them in water like metal volcanoes? I got a metal volcano tamer that works just fine and I am extracting 367g/s of metal @130°C on average and a little bit of power to go along with it. Send it out on rails through my climate controlled living quarters, by the time it exits shipping, it is @ a quite pleasant 30°.

3 hours ago, Lord Nyus said:

I think that's not entirely true. Only 2 turbines could be used, if the turbines should produce all the time. You used the wrong value for the calculation (Wrong: "Per Eruption Cycle"  Right: "Per Activity Cycle"). And i think 2 turbines are only correct, if you don't bringt the condensed water back in the steam-camber. Otherwise the number of turbines should be a bit lower then 2.

You can run 3 turbines with a volcano, you have the proof in the second video above. ;)

38 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

Why is it a bad idea to submerge them in water like metal volcanoes? I got a metal volcano tamer that works just fine and I am extracting 367g/s of metal @130°C on average and a little bit of power to go along with it. Send it out on rails through my climate controlled living quarters, by the time it exits shipping, it is @ a quite pleasant 30°.

It's a bad idea for volcano as you will dilute the heat you need for the turbine. But for the metal volcano, yes you can use this strategy as you goal is to cool the metal not to produce electricity.

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

It's a bad idea for volcano as you will dilute the heat you need for the turbine.

I'm not following.  I mean, if you start out with a bunch of water on the volcano, it will eventually all boil -- it has to before the turbine will activate at all.

12 hours ago, psusi said:

I'm not following.  I mean, if you start out with a bunch of water on the volcano, it will eventually all boil -- it has to before the turbine will activate at all.

I think he can't wrap his head around the fact that it might just be that simple. All these carefully laid out meticulous designs to control the heat consumption and there we come along with this crazy, almost communist idea that seems to offend their sensibilities.

Reminds me of the space race of the 20th century. NASA spent millions of dollars inventing the pressurized pen for astronauts to use when the soviets just used a pencil.

7 minutes ago, BigBadBeef said:

Reminds me of the space race of the 20th century. NASA spent millions of dollars inventing the pressurized pen for astronauts to use when the soviets just used a pencil.

FFS, you can't be serious with that. You read only half of story and that doesn't do any justice to the actual facts. The problem was not arrogance or stupidity but it had to do with the fact that the graphite used in the pencil when it writes it breaks into particles which may interact with the electronic devices on board since there is no gravity to pin them down.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

The thing with submerging the volcanoes in water is that at some point the water will boil. Submerging is not really a long term solution. The current designs make use of the heat of the volcano, be it magma or metal volcano. For the metal volcano you can use just a bit of water and delete the heat with a steam turbine. It's a very easy and efficient setup.

For a magma volcano you can consider producing power out of it. As I told you before I am running a desalinator + power in the same setup. You don't need to do a desalinator, you can only produce power if you want to. Even if it's a minor volcano you can still do the same setup and you just need to let more magma gather in the chamber on the right.

Steam power.jpg

if you have access to Thermium for a single pump you can make a oil boiler very easily. Which with an efficient heat exchange will basically give you all the power you need.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.772c37357b8cc3d981a6a26869125839.JPG

Also if your core is Lava thats a **** ton of power for a long time.

Capture.thumb.JPG.ae31c42399cf771080380ac80664cc6d.JPG

Or while it is a lot of work, and dupe labor you can set up a ethanol farm.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.efc8ab4eff0aafe60f1a3cae21a952a5.JPG

Capture.JPG

I will use the ideas presented here and I will think of something. In the meantime, I still have to wait about 50 cycles to pump out the saltwater cesspool present at the volcano... and enclose a cool steam vent just 5 tiles away from it.

UPDATE!

I have managed to successfully tap into the magma biome. The ocean of petroleum that you see on one of the screenshots was in my way and had to be moved. My desperation for more reliable power has led me to exhaust every remaining consumable source of power just move that black goo out of the way .

As I was priming the system, I was down to running the dupes on hamster wheels just to keep oxygen production going! I know you may think it was stupid not to just harvest the oil for petroleum power, but it would require me to establish an infrastructure 3x as large just to get rid of the gasses that would be produced!

Noob tip: Make sure the steam turbines are fully enclosed in tiles before you go digging around them. The stuff in the oil biome is very hot and will choke them out until those printed lazybones remove the debris!

Now all that remains is "tickling the devil's butt" and see how close to max power I can get them to run 24/7.

20200429193106_1.jpg

20200429193432_1.jpg

8 hours ago, Nedix said:

Nice setup. I think you could've gone for more steam turbines :)

Oh there's three more pockets of magma that I can tap into! Thanks to tuning of my entire power grid (courtesy of the gold volcano) I now have an energy surplus that allows me to use these intermittently. I've simply added a smart battery that will shut it down when it reaches 100% and reactivate when it reaches 90%. No need to be wasteful.

Archived