Geforce Now Game Removal

2 hours ago, crazybabe said:

-snip-

A calm and composed approach would get you further than pretty much going "REEEEE" in forums (oh well, at least your nick foreshadowed one's actions I suppose). "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" they rightly say.

Second: you put too much faith on nVidia TOS. Like with Youtube's or Facebook's, they are vague and up for interpretations, "Asterix small-caps Additives" and so on. Context matters.

Lastly: probably KLei even now is negotiating some deal with nVidia. Usually when they are silent, that's the case. Also don't forget with current pandemic situation, most employees work from home and delays are bound to happen. As stated, be a bit more patient and unabashed - is not the end of the world if you can't play right-this-instant. Am sure situation will be solved one way or the other.

I don't understand the controversy here. Steam is now providing "Steam Cloud Play" API to let geforce now know if their game is approved for cloud streaming. Ball is now in Klei court. They might implement this when the time is right for them. And Nvidia will pick it up for game streaming.

FWIW, here is the link for the documentation

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/cloudgaming

Well, all Klei games have now been removed from GeForce Now as was detailed in Nvidia's post discussing the new opt-in approach.

I was hoping there might have been a last minute opt-in to keep them available, or at least an announcement on Klei's current position now that Steam has launched its Cloud Play Beta.

I'll keep checking now and again to see if there is an official response, but for now I'll have to take a break from DST and Oxygen and hope they return in the future.

I am so bummed. Like alot of everyone else, my laptop couldn't handle the graphics once its over hundreds of cycles, so GeforceNow is a good way for me play the game. There goes my 700 cycle game. Hopefully they can re-opt in soon...

Waiting for an update here.I think this will make the game accessible for many more people. 

By the way, steam cloud saving should be activated for ONI, if we are going to sync our games (you couldn't upload your save files to Gforcenow last time I checked).

I don't think there has been any word as of yet.

I did jump over to the GeForce forums the other day to do some snooping, and I was honestly a bit appalled at what I read. The Devs/Mods over there seem only intent on recruiting the GeForce user base to peruse the issue with the developers of the various games that are no longer supported. GeForce users are being told to describe the steps for the opt-in process to the Devs of the games they want supported, and the general vibe over there is GeForce, and by proxy the GeForce user base, is somehow a victim in all of this.

Unfortunately the GeForce users are indeed the victim in this situation, but the culprit is GeForce. Earlier I claimed it seemed as though GeForce was planning on the playerbases of various games holding the devs of said games hostage. I honestly thought I was just being a bit dramatic for the sake of the argument, but after browsing the GeForce forum it looks like this is exactly the case.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than just the "steps for the opt-in process", more than players know, more than they are suppose to know. These are business dealings, to be conducted between businesses. The customers don't know the actual ins and outs because they aren't suppose to, and they aren't given the information to begin with.

I also took a peak at GeForces TOS-

1591148609036.png

1591148638029.png

1591148672158.png

1591148689865.png

GeForce knew exactly what was going to happen, and instead of going about the situation in a more productive manner, they decided to rely on what amounts to shady and dishonest business practices that benefit no one other than GeForce (though they arguably miscalculated and are not benefiting either). And when the whole thing blew up in their face they chose to double down instead of rectifying the broken situation they created.

I do feel for those players that have been negatively effected by all of this, but by the looks of things GeForce made the situation unavoidable. Hopefully either GeForce gets their sh*t together, or another company with better business practices steps up to service the community effected by this mess.

I think this guy said it pretty good (there are quite a few comments over on the GeForce forums that mirror this sentiment-

1591149474857.png

And heres an excerpt from the Q&A section-

1591149427264.png

1591149445693.png

I'm going to assume in general you meant "Nvidia" when you say "GeForce".  The former is the company and the later is just one of their brands.

As for the terms of service and other legal wording... That's all pretty standard.  Take a look at Klei's for example: https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve/terms-of-service

It includes very similar sections and wording.  Any company knows they need to post something similar to limit their liability.  It's not "good" or "bad", it's just how business is done.

Also, unless you're actually privilege to internal details about Nvidia's or Klei's business dealings it's just more baseless speculation.  JoeW has previously posted Klei's interactions with Nvidia on this issue and anything else besides an official statement isn't going to clarify the situation.

I will say that reaching out to devs does work, especially if you are respectful and courteous.  Several games were added back because players notified developers.  In some cases developers weren't aware there was demand to keep the game available and in other cases they weren't aware of the change to opt-in system meant the game would be removed.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, Miskatonic said:

I'm going to assume in general you meant "Nvidia" when you say "GeForce".  The former is the company and the later is just one of their brands.

I don't think the guys making graphics cards are the same guys running the game streaming service.

Nvidia is a big company, i'd imagine GeForce is more or less its own entity within the company. Plus, in my previous post (in this thread referencing GeForce) I referenced GeForces TOS, and quotes from the GeForce forums.

Either way you know what i'm talking about.

As for the terms of service and other legal wording... That's all pretty standard.  Take a look at Klei's for example: https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve/terms-of-service

Standard TOS. I can agree the general idea of a TOS is pretty standard.

What I would say is not standard is multiple entries describing the chances that you will lose the only thing you are paying for (in this case content and access to content), as opposed to pieces of what you are paying for.

On the other hand, if we do look at this as standard, the risks to GeForce users have been described, and the situation is what it is. If you can show me the section in Kleis TOS detailing their interaction with the GeForce service I would obviously reconsider this sentiment.

Any company knows they need to post something similar to limit their liability.  It's not "good" or "bad", it's just how business is done.

Which is why if I ran a company I would be hesitant to deal with a company who first used my content without my permission or knowledge, then proceeded to create the situation that is currently going on.

I'm not saying GeForce (or Nvidia, whatever you want to call it) is evil, but they obviously have flawed/sub par business practices. One good way as a different company to limit liability is to not deal with GeForce.

Also, unless you're actually privilege to internal details about Nvidia's or Klei's business dealings it's just more baseless speculation.  JoeW has previously posted Klei's interactions with Nvidia on this issue and anything else besides an official statement isn't going to clarify the situation.

Im not privilege to any details from either company obviously, and I never claimed I did. I stated what I saw from my perspective and how I personally felt about it. I'm not surprised I haven't clarified the situation as that's not what I was attempting to do.

I will say that reaching out to devs does work, especially if you are respectful and courteous. 

Reaching out can help, and it is definitely best to be respectful and courteous. You have been, as opposed to some other posters.

In some cases developers weren't aware there was demand to keep the game available and in other cases they weren't aware of the change to opt-in system meant the game would be removed.

I did read about that on the GeForce forum, and the above, I feel, speaks to exactly what i've mentioned about business practices. I feel the above highlights GeForces ineptitude in regards to their relationship with the companies whose content they depend on.

This thread is the result of GeForces actions, and they never had permission to use Kleis content to begin with.

I'm not saying they stole anything, i'm saying I would not want to become intertwined with them after all of this.

Gotta limit liability.

And this is after using content they had no permission to use, without the knowledge of developers, after ending their beta and losing a ton of games because of it, attempting to spin the losses of content as the fault of the unknowing developers, then walking the story back and introducing an "opt in" system before sending out the GeForce user base to tell developers about the opt in system and how to sign up.

Poor business. There is no way around it.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, Dunk Mujunk said:

I don't think there has been any word as of yet.

I did jump over to the GeForce forums the other day to do some snooping, and I was honestly a bit appalled at what I read. The Devs/Mods over there seem only intent on recruiting the GeForce user base to peruse the issue with the developers of the various games that are no longer supported. GeForce users are being told to describe the steps for the opt-in process to the Devs of the games they want supported, and the general vibe over there is GeForce, and by proxy the GeForce user base, is somehow a victim in all of this.

-rest has been snippety snip snipped-

So nVidia/GeForce is basically promoting witch-hunting? Sonuva...

These mods need to be reprimanded, this in unacceptable behavior.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are promoting a witch hunt, the Q&A section did say to be respectful.

Their original spin on the situation was an attempt to save face I think, as opposed to trying to cause any problems for various developers.

I do think they were hoping player pressure would force the hand of developers though.

Part of it too I think is that game streaming services are still kinda in the "wild west" phase. The business/service/systems are still in development and not a lot is concrete. It could be that GeForce just ran into unexpected issues, or it could legitimately be malicious intent.

My big problem with the whole thing is that Nvidia, who most definitely either has established communication lines or can create those lines of communication with developers, instead chose to recruit the GeForce user base to contact developers and have them explain the new stance/system of their product.

I'm sure this is probably pretty cool for extremely small developers and niche games that have little to no exposure, but that's not how you deal with established companies.

I am sad to see this still unresolved. I'm so eager to play griftlands before the birth of my first child, but I don't have access to a windows computer. If not geforce now is there an alternative service for Klei games? I signed up for Shadow but seems activation can take months. 

Thanks

John

Hola Klei, Perdonad por escribir esto en español, pero no tengo un nivel nativo de ingles como para que me podáis entender de forma fluida.

No quiero ser intrusivo, pero me gustaría saber si podréis añadir en un futuro no muy lejano parte de vuestros juegos en GeforceNow, por que la verdad me sentí aliviado al saber que podía jugarlos en este tipo de nuevas plataformas de retransmisiones en la nube.("Aun que ahora no se pueda  por diversos problemas") En fin ya habréis leído y respondido bastantes respuestas pero. Me gustaría saber pese a mi poco conocimiento de los foros y la comunicación entre consumidor y creador.

Si podríais llegar a añadir o estáis pensando en arreglarlo ya que no se si con vuestras políticas o términos podéis, aun así espero una respuesta y que pronto pueda ver uno de mis juegos favoritos en mi biblioteca en la nube para disfrutar sin problemas.

Un saludo, gracias por atender, atentamente un fan de Don't Starve.

10 hours ago, Mr. Hamish said:

¿Any news? ;-;

Sorry, my friend has not been added this week. We will continue to wait, perhaps until the last moment of our life. We have to believe. We will succeed. Do not lose your hope. This war is our war...

On 6/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, professor77 said:

Sorry, my friend has not been added this week. We will continue to wait, perhaps until the last moment of our life. We have to believe. We will succeed. Do not lose your hope. This war is our war...

I'm losing hope

9 hours ago, fe_quirino said:

I'm losing hope

You have to be strong, my brotha. Nobody said it would be easy. Will you give up or will you stay and fight? Remember, we are Gamers. We can do it if we want. We will see beautiful days, brotha...

10 hours ago, professor77 said:

You have to be strong, my brotha. Nobody said it would be easy. Will you give up or will you stay and fight? Remember, we are Gamers. We can do it if we want. We will see beautiful days, brotha...

You could try a petition to convince Geoforce to be nicer to developers?

I’m not sure if the developers are even aware of this, so @JoeW, is there any progress being made of this issue?

If they don’t reply, I’m gonna assume that they can’t really say anything. Or his inbox is packed like a junk mail filter and he didn’t see the ping.

I'm so sorry for this. It is not difficult to see the future. I don't think the problem is optimization or low gaming experience. A problem that we do not know or understand. Maybe money. Time will show that. They may be asking us to buy the game again, like Google Stadia.

Archived