Is this a Glitch?

In youtube is easy too see guys teaching waysto delete anything using automatized doors or using doors as walls to pressurize water or gases, So my question is: Is theses things a Glitch or a normal mechanic from the game? 

In this link ( portuguese but u can understand watching the mehcanics u can see examples)
https://youtu.be/nQGBcYA6vp0

The word "glitch" implies that it's unintended. Like a bug. Stuff like that is a side effect of the way the game implements physics. A lot of that has to do with gasses and liquids being discrete packets that can only move in certain ways and not mix with each other. It's consistent and intended, but could be called an exploit.

I take the nuance of glitch to mean unintended exploit of game mechanics. I don't think there's really an answer to that. But we do know most of these have been widely known and in the game for a very long time.

I would recommend you learn how they all work and use them if it feels right, and don't if it feels wrong.

I'd call it an artefact. It is simply an effect that occurs within the rules of the ONI system. The situation has to be very special for the effect to occur, but there is also not an easy fix for it.

Similar to the Moiré-Effect or Aliasing-Effect. It is an artefact that occurs because of the rules and restrictions of the system.

45 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I'd call it an artefact. It is simply an effect that occurs within the rules of the ONI system. The situation has to be very special for the effect to occur, but there is also not an easy fix for it.

Same here. The one-element-per-tile system and the lack of real pressure and flow mechanics has this effect. I think it is just something to accept, ONI is inspired by real Physics in places, but it is not a Physics simulator and does not try to be one. Just think of in as an alternate universe, where Physics is markedly different and tile-oriented, and sort-of 2D on top of that! The whole thing is consistent, it just follows very different rules.

Door pumps don't rely on one element per tile rule, it relies on a lack of pressure in the game.

In the real world, your doors would resist closing as the pressure gets higher and higher, but in the game, as there are no concept as pressure, your doors would pump into infinite pressures fairly easily.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Does it actually delete stuff though. At least gasses don`t get deleted but instead teleported to the first free tile above. I`ve seen this being a problem for some vacuum designs.

Imagine you have a confined space with for example 2 tiles and 2 types of gases. Then you open a door and let a third type of gas enter the door tiles. If you close the door and the other side of the door is also closed (imagine a second door), then there is no tile to move the third gas to, since you only have 2 tiles and 3 gases. As a result of it the third gas would be deleted (i think).

Maybe burying the gas under the door would be a solution for this problem.

Compressing gas works similar, but ofc with only 1 or 2 gases.

And instead of doors you can also use liquids or other methods.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Does it actually delete stuff though. At least gasses don`t get deleted but instead teleported to the first free tile above. I`ve seen this being a problem for some vacuum designs.

Take a 2x1 space with open in the top and a vent on the bottom to inject gas.  To the right of that you have a pair of mechanized airlocks. They start open.  Other than this, the whole thing is walled in.  You pump gas in until the vent blocks from high pressure, so you now have 20 kg/tile of gas spread over 6 tiles.  You close the door in the middle.  Now that gas gets pushed to either side and you end up with the far door holding 2 tiles of about 30 kg each.  Now you close that door.  The gas has nowhere to go, and so it just gets deleted.

19 hours ago, blash365 said:

Imagine you have a confined space with for example 2 tiles and 2 types of gases. Then you open a door and let a third type of gas enter the door tiles. If you close the door and the other side of the door is also closed (imagine a second door), then there is no tile to move the third gas to, since you only have 2 tiles and 3 gases. As a result of it the third gas would be deleted (i think).

15 hours ago, psusi said:

Take a 2x1 space with open in the top and a vent on the bottom to inject gas.  To the right of that you have a pair of mechanized airlocks. They start open.  Other than this, the whole thing is walled in.  You pump gas in until the vent blocks from high pressure, so you now have 20 kg/tile of gas spread over 6 tiles.  You close the door in the middle.  Now that gas gets pushed to either side and you end up with the far door holding 2 tiles of about 30 kg each.  Now you close that door.  The gas has nowhere to go, and so it just gets deleted.

I know the setup and what is supposed to happen but now imagine you got a row of solid tiles above the doors and a vacuum room above that. I saw the gas that was supposed to be deleted by that setup get teleported up there breaking the vacuum. It was a pasrt of a fix to something. I`m not sure if it still works like that though. I guess i`ll test that later to see if it still happens.

Archived