What should I add to my base?

So, this is our base so far. I know, it looks kinda messy at the moment.. and not very creative, the thing is that I've never made a mega base before. Plus don't worry about ice flingomatics, I have a small base for summer. And the grass tufts, saplings, berry bushes are in a different place. So any suggestions on what we should add?

deskverymessy.thumb.PNG.02e4216c09548edbc05ce2dbf74a9d5c.PNG 

I always loved the design I saw from other people's mega bases that included walls and fences.

It went a little something like this: 

1181264162_Fencedesign.png.26d09649cb9d5bc4400de881e615e36f.png

I tried to recreate it as best I could. I think something with fences would look lovely in your base should you choose to incorporate them.

I'm not much of a megabaser myself, being more attracted to the survival aspect of DST, but I've got some tips:

- Fully broken down wood walls act as nice decor as i've seen on @GLERMZ's streams, where he uses them on his turf edges. You should check his streams out - he's one of the most dedicated megabasers out there and his work never fails to impress.

- Add stuff in the game that was designed for decor (Potted Plants, Mushlights, etc.) and experiment with different turf types aside from regular Marble, Carpet and Wooden flooring. Try out some Moon Turf and Cobblestones and try color-coding with specific biome turfs if that works. 

- If it helps, you can draw inspiration from some of the base showcase threads:

7 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

I always loved the design I saw from other people's mega bases that included walls and fences.

It went a little something like this: 

1181264162_Fencedesign.png.26d09649cb9d5bc4400de881e615e36f.png

I tried to recreate it as best I could. I think something with fences would look lovely in your base should you choose to incorporate them.

good idea! I was looking forward to adding some walls but I wasn't sure what kind. Plus we got like.. a billion logs with bearger... so I have plenty of wood

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Some statues would look nice. I have a funny feeling you might appreciate a few queen statues specifically.

Right! I remember some figure sketches nearby.. I better go grab them

5 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

Maybe a shrine for that cute adorable fuzzy bug there. :3
Maybe using sisturns, and have glommer buddy in between them.

I'll ask my wendy-friend to build more sisturns... even  though I can't trust anyone with placing structures, oh and glommer? would there really be a point? We like to kill it every now and then to spawn krampus

11 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

wait you don't kill glommer.. to spawn krampus? if you really want a fuzzy buddy, well Chester could help

No, because glommer means the world to me, glommer makes me happy, all the buzzing sounds, glommer bouncing up and down being cute, I love glommer. I could never kill glommer.

For krampus I prefer a bird farm, wicker can do it easilly with birds of the world + sleepytime stories, but I usually do the ol' boomerang strategy on birds.

47 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

No, because glommer means the world to me, glommer makes me happy, all the buzzing sounds, glommer bouncing up and down being cute, I love glommer. I could never kill glommer.

For krampus I prefer a bird farm, wicker can do it easilly with birds of the world + sleepytime stories, but I usually do the ol' boomerang strategy on birds.

I'll assume you play as Wendy. Doesn't Wendy do much less damage with the boomerang? isn't that  less effective..? plus glommer reeeespawns!

43 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

krampus I prefer a bird farm

I always found krampus sack farming really dull and boring, i couldnt possibly just stand in once place for a couple of days just to repeat the cycle of kill , spawn , return , repeat. For me Klaus is best way to get it, even if it's once every year, not only because the sack has increased drop rate, but also because he can spawn krampii depending on how many people are fighting him. Honestly i've gotten more sacks from klaus and his krampus minions than just regular krampus farm. But that's just my point of view.

34 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I'll assume you play as Wendy. Doesn't Wendy do much less damage with the boomerang? isn't that  less effective..? plus glommer reeeespawns!

I also play wigfrid or willow, and the celestial portal exists. I usually switch to either of those two when farming krampus.

33 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I always found krampus sack farming really dull and boring, i couldnt possibly just stand in once place for a couple of days just to repeat the cycle of kill , spawn , return , repeat. For me Klaus is best way to get it, even if it's once every year, not only because the sack has increased drop rate, but also because he can spawn krampii depending on how many people are fighting him. Honestly i've gotten more sacks from klaus and his krampus minions than just regular krampus farm. But that's just my point of view.

I need to get better at fighting klaus, klaus is one of the raid bosses I've not fought as much so I don't really have the kiting down 100%.
It's not an issue, it's just I get so caught up with other things that I end up not fighting some raid bosses on time. :s

Apart fram those already mentioned, try experimenting with cave turfs as they're some of the most vibrantly-coloured turfs ingame. Do note that you cannot dig ruins turfs, however, which is a shame.

Since you've got your general living area done, try making new parts of your megabase with different functions in mind, such as:

- a creature village for pigs, bunnies, spiders, a pen for hunt animals, even an exotic Saladmander pen, Volt Goat or Beefalo farm

- you could expand your storage area to include Scaled Chests and add Minisigns for identification

- a farming area where you can place down your farms, plants and mushroom planters.

- a "trophy room" or "hall of honor" where you can showcase your best loot, whether it be Boss Statues, boss drops, rare drops, ruins gear, etc.

The general idea I can think of is to take an area's function and crank it up to 11 in terms of design. "So i've got a living area/farm/trophy room/storage area/village. What can I do in the constraints of good visual design that can further amplify the aesthetic qualities of said area?"

Also, pick things that would deliberately emphasize you're area's purpose. Living areas look cosier with carpet, end tables and potted plants, ports look more genuine with masts, fishing and  boating stufd and wooden flooring, farms look way more attractive with grasslands turf, villages look more like villages with turf "lots" divided by cobblestones.

7 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

"What should I add to my base?"

A WX next to your gears chest :dog:

ugh! I mean what decorations!

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This!!! Add This!

73D09DB0-8D19-45B7-B965-882F249CF732.png

wait this boss has a figure sketch..? I'm too scared to go to the ocean or the island, because we get hound waves very often. And it's on default!

I added the picture earlier!! Add Malbatross Statue to base. Put it Dead center of a circle of Moondail fountains and use mods to make it big so it towers above the fountains.

you could even do like a small circle of fountains, then a modded bigger circle of them inside of that and THEN put the Statue on the inside of those towering over the entire thing.

TL:DR- Big pretty bird statue in the center of big pretty water fountain display.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

I added the picture earlier!! Add Malbatross Statue to base. Put it Dead center of a circle of Moondail fountains and use mods to make it big so it towers above the fountains.

you could even do like a small circle of fountains, then a modded bigger circle of them inside of that and THEN put the Statue on the inside of towering over the entire thing.

TL:DR- Big pretty bird statue in the center of big pretty water fountain display.

Oh right! the moon dials! sadly.. we haven't found any more moon rocks :(

Okay, it's been a while! (I'm the only one who places structures btw) and I mostly add stuff during spring.. during autumn I waste my time in the ruins while my friends are above ground doing stuff.. and remember, I've used no rollbacks and no cheats so far! And I never plan on using them! I only use geometric placement, and statue placement

(Kitchen area, this is where I spend most of my time :) )

base1.thumb.PNG.2a771ea30325986d4df3fc75469eaf8d.PNG

(Drying racks area)

base3.thumb.PNG.52871f226fd1ba0598e0c425dcff9210.PNG

(A proper dressing room, I'm also thinking to surround the Queen statues and Maxy statues with pawn statues)

base2.thumb.PNG.0cde01283a850e580781af318f82c439.PNG

And the.. other half

base4.thumb.PNG.924144947803f23a0156785e9209e4c0.PNG

Archived