So now with Wendy out maybe it's a good time to have tweaks to beefalo domestication, I've been thinking what are the least invasive changes that could improve gameplay, and this is what I got:

• Reduce minimum domestication times by 5 days of what we currently have. This works as the minimum time you can do it (given that you do everything else right) with brush and without. It would leave domestication without brush at a minimum of 15 days, and with brush at about 10ish days.
  • Fully Domesticated beefalo will drop a follower item, sort of like the extra adorable lavae tooth when it hatches. A player can keep just 1 of those in their inventory (not backpack) at any given time, and not only makes the beefalo follow you around passively (like chester or glommer would) but it should also allow the beefalo to move between shards (caves and surface), leave it parked somewhere even if no salt lick is present (Will gradually lose domestication though) or leave the server with you. This item could be disabled on the world settings for those who don't like it.
  • Fully domesticated beefalos , that are not properly cared of and go back to feral, will not only have the follower item dissapear, but will also be unable to reproduce again. This is to prevent abuse and try to populate the caves with dozens of beefalo by domesticating and abandoning them, or if a beefalo owner dies in the caves and nobody retrieves the lost boof in time before it goes feral.

These simple changes would completely overhaul using beefalo in my opinion, but its not written in stone and I know there are people out there much more experienced into taming than I am, so I'm all open to read their suggestions or corrections

While we are at it, we should also update the salt lick.

Now that we actually have salt on the game, perhaps we could use it to make a different version (or just replace the recipe entirely) and have it last for 50 days instead of the 15-ish that they last currently.

(even if we were able to disconnect with the beefalos, it would probably be nice to leave them somewhere everynow and then).

Or atleast let us refill the salt lick with nitre, instead of crafting a completly new one everytime.

4 hours ago, Wexton said:

Now that we actually have salt on the game, perhaps we could use it to make a different version (or just replace the recipe entirely) and have it last for 50 days instead of the 15-ish that they last currently.

No thanks to that. I've been a big beef user for years now. I always have nitre around to make more salt licks. Even with the extended time I wouldn't want to travel to the ocean everytime I need more. Plus, you'd have to already have some before taming the beefalo. Otherwise it might go feral before you can seek out and retrieve salt for a salt lick. 

4 hours ago, Wexton said:

Or atleast let us refill the salt lick with nitre, instead of crafting a completly new one everytime.

Now this would be a huge improvement. At the very least, this needs to happen. 

Everybody talks about beefalo taming, but what about tallbird taming?
I get that it may represent "Not everything that you do comes out useful at the end", but this mechanic is largely useless for all the efforts you put into it. Raised tallbirds don't even create any nests, which could at least offer some farm possibilities.

I actually never tried beefalo taming one time but feeding it to fill 300 hunger is really a tough job. I heard people saying that though keeping beefalo near salt lick and going into cave for summer results undomesticated beefalo. I actually don't know after full domestication what to do next ? will i have to feed it the same way or just parking it near salt lick is enough to keep it domesticated ?:confused:

9 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

No thanks to that. I've been a big beef user for years now. I always have nitre around to make more salt licks. Even with the extended time I wouldn't want to travel to the ocean everytime I need more. Plus, you'd have to already have some before taming the beefalo. Otherwise it might go feral before you can seek out and retrieve salt for a salt lick. 

Honestly the idea of replacing the recipe was mostly because of the original post's idea of having the beefalo disconnecting with you when fully domesticated, thus making the salt licks not as important on public servers. but yes, I didn't consider taming beefalos on the early game so I 100% agree nitre should still be an option.

Archived