Ultroman

Ultroman's Tutorial Collection + Newcomer Intro

Mick Satana    1

Thanks for listing these topics. It's really easy to follow.

ps, this link is broken.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:56 AM, Ultroman said:

Character item modding, special objects or features.

• Like 1

Ultroman    735
18 hours ago, Mick Satana said:

ps, this link is broken.

Thank you for the heads-up. Sadly, that post seems to have been deleted. I'm happy this list helped you :D

Ultroman    735
On 7/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, Mick Satana said:

ps, this link is broken.

That post has been replaced by this much more complete tutorial which includes exporting files to edit, converting them into separate images to edit using KTools and Spriter (I recommend that method, unless you really only need to do minor reskinning, as the author also says, but you'll probably want to get to know Spriter and KTools, anyway.

Muskar    8
On 3/10/2020 at 1:42 AM, Ultroman said:

Normal modding forum search, when searching exclusively for DS or DST, but NOT BOTH:

Doesn't seem to work for me. I get the following result in both Chrome and Firefox - no button appears:

image.thumb.png.342beac3c35b65bf648e971b4a3eaed2.png

What am I doing wrong?

Also, perhaps in the Debugging section you could add a small section about writing out tables in runtime via a table serializer like serpent or others - noting licenses are worth keeping an eye on etc. I've only tried serpent but it helps greatly with the followings options:

local serpent = require "util/serpent" --put serpent.lua and license in "util" folder in the mod
print(serpent.block(table, {metatostring=false, maxlevel=3, maxnum=50, nocode=true})) -- don't set maxlevel very high when metatostring is off, otherwise you'll likely run out of memory

Ultroman    735
4 hours ago, Muskar said:

Doesn't seem to work for me. I get the following result in both Chrome and Firefox - no button appears:

image.thumb.png.342beac3c35b65bf648e971b4a3eaed2.png

What am I doing wrong?

It appears they've changed the script since I wrote that. Now you have to perform a search and press "More search options" to get to the list of forum sections. Fixed! Thanks for letting me know.

4 hours ago, Muskar said:

Also, perhaps in the Debugging section you could add a small section about writing out tables in runtime via a table serializer like serpent or others - noting licenses are worth keeping an eye on etc. I've only tried serpent but it helps greatly with the followings options:

local serpent = require "util/serpent" --put serpent.lua and license in "util" folder in the mod
print(serpent.block(table, {metatostring=false, maxlevel=3, maxnum=50, nocode=true})) -- don't set maxlevel very high when metatostring is off, otherwise you'll likely run out of memory

I would love to, but I simply do not have the time right now. Also, I have never used any of those libraries. Never had the need. You seem like a bright fellow. I would urge you to write up a small tutorial / guide thread about using these, to help others and perhaps serve as a log of understandings for yourself in the future.

Edited by Ultroman
  • Like 1

Ultroman    735
2 hours ago, Hornete said:

@Ultroman Mind adding these guides/tutorials to the main post ? :D

Wow, thanks! That is a lot. I'll add them later, when I've figured out how to categorize them all.

Edited by Ultroman
  • Thanks 1