Why don't specific skins drop anymore?

I've noticed a pattern from drop rates in general (both from my own and others' drops in pubs), it seems like if a skin meets a certain price threshold on the steam market, it no longer drops in-game. Now, I've never been in support for the idea of "skin value" artificially jacking up the prices of older skins, but if they were to be put into the drop pool again, wouldn't that somewhat solve the supply and demand?

From what I remember, the Guest of Honor collection does not drop whatsoever anymore, I forget the reason for this (was it to make heirloom/legacy skins appear more valuable or were they simply too old?), whatever the reason may be, it's really sad to see these go. There were plenty of skins from that collection that we may have to wait a couple years for, until the character(s) gets reworked and freed from the steam marketplace.

The replacement for these skins seemed to be the event skins, which are thankfully always available to find or purchase from Klei's in-game store. I really like this practice, and the way they've handled reworked character skins is simply magnificent for those with their eyes on a specific skin. With the event skins, you don't risk/consider having to fork up $50+ for any cosmetic, since they are thankfully un-marketable. 

I also just really, really miss seeing these older skins in action. They're almost jpeg myths at this point. Nothing more than an icon in the curio cabinet. Like come on, Wilson's Guest of Honor is one of his few skins that actually change his facial expression. Plus the hair isn't overdone, making the skin itself very clean and usable with almost any clothing options.

Look at all the possibilities with this skin! (I don't own the skin, for obvious $56.36 cost reasons. :wilson_ecstatic:)

Spoiler

image.png.3a12ab3c1770a83b82cd71a9a274fff7.png

image.png.445134f408e20cc49bb49501f25224da.png

image.png.a6ee7e81b9b15fb1f96679cb38cb43ed.png

image.png.40b621a72eb1a51d3c24be282081e10c.png

image.png.e01eae0e4b72db9a5550d17d9442dcc3.png

image.png.b156eeb3e9baf23c631c6b40106bdcd6.png

image.png.311fdffec4b2a9428cc31ad4573c7b55.png

on a side note, the fall of the (currently) $80 dollar GoH Wendy skin is going to be a glorious day.

I don't think it actually is about price, or they wouldn't have put the previously chart-topping, GoH-Wendy-rivalling Rooslet back in the live drops for Year of the Carrat. (I got it in the Trade Inn, ran one server to show my friends, then sold it for about ten dollars. I have a screenshot if you want.) Unless there's some reason why seasonal skins would be exempt from that rule, I think it's specific to the non-weavable Guest of Honor head and body skins. Maybe the Survivor skins too, since they also seem to only go up in price and I haven't seen them drop in-game in a long time, but not Triumphant or Roseate.

Nobody knows why. As far as I know, nobody even has proof that the GoH skins actually literally never drop anymore, as opposed to technically being able to drop but having such a low drop chance (like 0.000001% or something) that you never ever see it or hear about it. I made a thread about this same topic a few months back and all I got was people repeating that the GoH skins don't drop anymore. One person said it was confirmed that those skins don't drop anymore, but didn't explain how they knew.

Fortunetly the weavable replicas of those skins will drop again with reasonable chances and we will be able to actually get one without paying massive amount of money for it or waiting for those skins to drop(which will not happen) for the rest of our lives.

When a character gets Refreshed doesn’t ALL of their skins become weaveable?? (At least this seems to be the case with Xbox One with Warly, Wormwood, Woodie, Winona & Willow) But Also keep in mind that We can’t Buy, Sell Or Trade Skins With other players on consoles so we probably have a different system?

Im expecting the Wendy Refresh (If it is indeed Wendy that’s being Refreshed..) To finally allow me to Weave or Purchase in the shop the Wendy Lureplant head.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

When a character gets Refreshed doesn’t ALL of their skins become weaveable??

Almost, their GoH, Survivor, Triumphant and Roseate skins become weavable, but not their Costume (halloween) skins. More precisely, the character gets a weavable variant of these skins that look the same, but the marketable ones remain marketable (and unweavable).

Just now, fimmatek said:

Almost, their GoH, Survivor, Triumphant and Roseate skins become weavable, but not their Costume (halloween) skins. More precisely, the character gets a weavable variant of these skins that look the same, but the marketable ones remain marketable (and unweavable).

So no Wendy Lureplant head even if she does get refreshed? Your breaking my heart man! 

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

So no Wendy Lureplant head even if she does get refreshed? Your breaking my heart man! 

Idk how it'll be on consoles, probably it'll be the same how Willowfly skin is handled? Idk if that's weavable or purchasable there.

See, I feel like if they do in fact still drop, we'd see more than 8 Guest of Honor Wendys on the marketplace as opposed to the 159 Triumphants. Talk about an extreme contrast!

image.png.77797fa8337efd484a1604e73238f19f.png

image.png.d0ca5386d6b2d60ceef2dca4d7d7a60c.png

same example with a different character

image.png.7251e06a973a59ee454bdaf0c68ab042.png

image.png.a118deee8375f8d262b93e7ffee86a38.png

3 hours ago, Axelocke said:

See, I feel like if they do in fact still drop, we'd see more than 8 Guest of Honor Wendys on the marketplace as opposed to the 159 Triumphants. Talk about an extreme contrast!

They're obviously hoarding GoH skins so they can sell them in the 22th century for well over 100 euros.

Archived