Jump to content

No reed fiber on whole map? :(


Recommended Posts

Have any people here encountered a map with neither dreckos nor thimble reed? 

Playing on Oasis on hardest possible difficulty hence also not having the option of printing anything but dupes. 

Would love some input. Have explored about 50% of the map so far. But cant really go much further due to heat - no reed fiber - no suits! :/ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ableskewer said:

Found a caustic biome waaaay out... hopefully a drecko will show up. 

Ah, so for somewhat fuzzy values of "whole map" ;)

I did have to actually search pretty much the whole map for reeds in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gurgel said:

Ah, so for somewhat fuzzy values of "whole map" ;)

I did have to actually search pretty much the whole map for reeds in the past.

Haha.. fuzzy 50% of map ;) indeed. However its not too much of a reach.. surrounded by 50-60 degrees celcius makes me nervous. My dupes are spriting through 65C to get to the drecko whom Ive just found. Hes name now Danny. Danny Drecko the Savior.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ableskewer said:

Haha.. fuzzy 50% of map ;) indeed. However its not too much of a reach.. surrounded by 50-60 degrees celcius makes me nervous. My dupes are spriting through 65C to get to the drecko whom Ive just found. Hes name now Danny. Danny Drecko the Savior.  

50-60 degree is bearable. For once, I was surrounded by 75-80 degree stuffs in all four directions and no slime biomes nearby. My dupes were injured countless time while trying to break that abbsy wall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, camelot said:

50-60 degree is bearable. For once, I was surrounded by 75-80 degree stuffs in all four directions and no slime biomes nearby. My dupes were injured countless time while trying to break that abbsy wall

I have the opposite problem currently.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.696bb96944284811ffd4b7b95fa52fde.png

image.thumb.png.4ce3896c02e2f5be96d5f1a849026705.png

The lower left side of my map is -8c.  The upper right, where I used insulated tiles, is -32c.  Before I got my tepidizer up and running, I couldn't even get Bristleblooms to grow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, Ableskewer said:

My dupes are spriting through 65C

Toasty, but they're in perfect comfort, I assure you.  The magic number is 70C.  If you don't have anything higher than that temperature pushing heat into that area, they'll be fine.

It sounds counter-productive but if you *need* to push through a hot zone, slowly mine it out first.  Dig two tiles below your floor level, and put down an insulated tile above an air gap holding the debris.  It halves the mass of the hot material and keeps it from heating the air, which will cool relatively quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I have the opposite problem currently.

  Hide contents

image.thumb.png.696bb96944284811ffd4b7b95fa52fde.png

image.thumb.png.4ce3896c02e2f5be96d5f1a849026705.png

The lower left side of my map is -8c.  The upper right, where I used insulated tiles, is -32c.  Before I got my tepidizer up and running, I couldn't even get Bristleblooms to grow.

How did you got that kind of map? I tried multiple times to get cold world but every time it wasn't so nicely blue as yours.
Is it some kind of mod?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Rime. Frozen Core.  Geodormant.  Glaciers.  Misplaced pod location.

I've also played a couple of Rime maps with both Frozen Core and Glaciers. I still can't believe how much heat I had to generate to even begin to get to the water in those icy areas. (I also can't bring myself to digging ice when I can melt it for full mass). 

Definitely a unique challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, beowulf2010 said:

I've also played a couple of Rime maps with both Frozen Core and Glaciers. I still can't believe how much heat I had to generate to even begin to get to the water in those icy areas. (I also can't bring myself to digging ice when I can melt it for full mass). 

Definitely a unique challenge. 

Yeah.  I'm nearly at cycle 100 now.  I've got a metal refinery (producing iron, soon to be making steel) and all that heat is getting lost just keeping my farm from freezing. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yeah.  I'm nearly at cycle 100 now.  I've got a metal refinery (producing iron, soon to be making steel) and all that heat is getting lost just keeping my farm from freezing. LOL

I ultimately had to drop a tepidizer in my main water tank and cycle water piping through it and metal tiles under planter boxes. I used the metal refinery output to try to melt a nearby glacier... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, beowulf2010 said:

I've also played a couple of Rime maps with both Frozen Core and Glaciers. I still can't believe how much heat I had to generate to even begin to get to the water in those icy areas. (I also can't bring myself to digging ice when I can melt it for full mass). 

Definitely a unique challenge. 

It is something different. Long-term, it becomes about cooling though as well. Would be nice if the different water geysers on Rime all gave you deep frozen stuff instead of liquid ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Gurgel said:

It is something different. Long-term, it becomes about cooling though as well. Would be nice if the different water geysers on Rime all gave you deep frozen stuff instead of liquid ;)

IDK.  The only geyser I've found so far produces liquid CO2 at -55.1c.  I'd say that's "deeply frozen."  =^.^=

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gurgel said:

It is something different. Long-term, it becomes about cooling though as well. Would be nice if the different water geysers on Rime all gave you deep frozen stuff instead of liquid ;)

I dunno. I literally couldn't put enough heat into the shaft I dug to the bottom of the -135C frozen core to keep carbon dioxide liquid, let alone water liquid so that aquatuners would work. 

We're talking about millions of kg of ice at -135C. (My computer is dead and toolsnotincluded.net is in maintenance so I'm guesstimating based on a typical 256 wide map and my memory of about 5 levels of height at the "short" section I dug into.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2020 at 10:19 AM, beowulf2010 said:

I dunno. I literally couldn't put enough heat into the shaft I dug to the bottom of the -135C frozen core to keep carbon dioxide liquid, let alone water liquid so that aquatuners would work. 

Frozen core can definitely be a challenge.  Especially on Rime. Even producing steel is only keeping my base only warm enough that plants can grow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...