Automating Wheezeworts

I was pip planting some bristle blossoms when I ran into a problem, the lamps would heat up the plants too much till they wilted

However a wheezewort would cool them too fast so I had to find some way to automate them when I reached the ideal temp

I discovered that a planter box can disable a planted wheezewort if there is no tile below it.

Using a mech door automated with thermal sensors did the trick!

Thinking of updating my warm water sleet wheat farm design

20200203223342_1.thumb.jpg.67b63d701d46f29a6494c1b6c33e9374.jpg20200203223347_1.thumb.jpg.1135bf478d32e8724036409e8980f204.jpg20200203223353_1.thumb.jpg.b6faa51d9566cae63dafaed1cc5bf064.jpg

9 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Another way would be to place the lamps in a glass box, and cooling the thing inside only. No heat to the plants anymore.

I know there are lots of ways of cooling a base.  This topic is for wheezeworts

I'm sure this is not the design you're going for right now but I achieved nice results using wild wheezeworts to plant bristle blossoms.

You cut dupe work that won't have to fertilize them and the 1/4 cooling from the wild wort seemed to balance the heat from light source perfectly.

3 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

I'm sure this is not the design you're going for right now but I achieved nice results using wild wheezeworts to plant bristle blossoms.

You cut dupe work that won't have to fertilize them and the 1/4 cooling from the wild wort seemed to balance the heat from light source perfectly.

true, but pip planting is limited so for each wild wheezewort you'll have to give up a bristle blossom.

besides even at 1/4th cooling that might cool lamps too fast and you'll end up with frost bitten blossoms

14 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

besides even at 1/4th cooling that might cool lamps too fast and you'll end up with frost bitten blossoms

Yeah, I didn't test it in an isolated enviroment. I did this placing a natural park in front of bedrooms with 3 blossoms and 1 wort each room. You might be right as they were also dealing not directly with the more "spread heat" of the whole living area.

7 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Yeah, I didn't test it in an isolated enviroment. I did this placing a natural park in front of bedrooms with 3 blossoms and 1 wort each room. You might be right as they were also dealing not directly with the more "spread heat" of the whole living area.

If you are making a natural park you could place a wild shine bug in the room, they don't generate heat

14 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

If you are making a natural park you could place a wild shine bug in the room, they don't generate heat

Yeah, I actually enjoy primitive builds that barely use any power. But in this case bugs wandered way too much to the spot away from the blossoms. Honestly it was a just a little, but it triggered my OCD and I installed a single ceiling lamp in each room which actually helped to achieve the temperature balance. It was getting way too cold without the lamps. I'll post a ss when I get home... I actually kept the bugs there because of the egg shells but also the lights because of the heat and also the worts to deal with part of the heat. How much heat exactly I have no idea. Doesn't seem very efficient, right? That's what happens when you love this game but don't care about math and is actually terrible at it 

57 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

Only cost is 5 frames per KW

I'll give it a go on my next run. I'm already playing maps cut in half, 3 dupes only and almost no critters. I think I'll be able to afford some inefficient fun for a number of cycles...

13 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I was pip planting some bristle blossoms when I ran into a problem, the lamps would heat up the plants too much till they wilted

I have run into this problem as well.  My solution was to run a circulating pipe with a radiant segment at each lamp.  Your solution is very elegant, and on maps with wheezewarts, I may use this idea.

9 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I have run into this problem as well.  My solution was to run a circulating pipe with a radiant segment at each lamp.  Your solution is very elegant, and on maps with wheezewarts, I may use this idea.

I have also been looking at using wild shine bugs as well, and this has been my best solution so far.

The phenumatic doors is so wild shine eggs can be dropped inside and eggshells can be collected

I also turned them into nature parks just for fun :)

20200204121659_1.thumb.jpg.2bfaca912bfc7a276d23788bb45d491f.jpg20200204121707_1.thumb.jpg.456f6a328e47e0e9cdc8c4f5c7cf06ec.jpg

Archived