Hardcore Survival Mode

I've made the argument in the past that critters shouldn't just go extinct outside of our control, like if there's shine bugs in a place we can't reach and then they just die off... I feel we should be able to get shine bug eggs, and all critter eggs, from the various planets out there, so if they do die off, ultimately we can bring them back. (Unlike real life extinction, which is sad.)

However, Care-Packages really make the game too easy, and give spoilers to the neat stuff we can find out there.

Could we please turn off care-packages? At least as an option?

Personally, I think it'd be cool if we could somehow collect the DNA of critters and build our own printer to print critters. The printer that the dupes build could require bio-materials to print new critters, and DNA for a blueprint.

I think shine bugs are the only critters that can go extinct without you getting to them.  The rest will lay an egg before they die.  And really, who cares about shine bugs?  They are pretty useless and annoying.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

I think shine bugs are the only critters that can go extinct without you getting to them.  The rest will lay an egg before they die.  And really, who cares about shine bugs?  They are pretty useless and annoying.

It depends on what map you're on.  I'm on an Arboria map with frozen core and glaciers where Drekkos, Pufts, and Slicksters have all gone extinct because they were too cold.  I did manage to find a drekko egg and a puft egg, so I am slowly bringing them back.  I haven't explored enough of the oil biome to tell if there are any slicksters left.

You can turn off care packages in options when you are starting new world. I always do that, because I just hate them. I just prefer to find stuff. Also change difficulty at max :) That's the hardcore gameplay which after couple time is quite easy.

1 hour ago, MarcinW said:

Also change difficulty at max :)

My current world is as maximum difficulty as I think is possible (depending on your play style of course):

HTFST-A-1042010150-WLH

Aridio

Outbreak Prone (Germ Resistance: -2)
Draconian
Stress Reactions
Ravenous (-1,000 kcal/cycle)
Frankly Depressing (Stress: +20%/cycle)

PLUS

Miscalculated pod location
Mixed boulders
Metal poor
Geodormant

So not only is the whole world hotter than 30°C but I can't dig anywhere or build anything metal and there are no geysers. It's been tough; especially the Ravenous setting. Love it though!

Yeah I miss so common scenarios, so we could compare how long we can survive :) I always play on those settings, only miscalculated pod location I change for vulcanos :)

I will try you seed with next gameplay (just waiting for current test branch to go live).

3 minutes ago, MarcinW said:

I will try you seed with next gameplay (just waiting for current test branch to go live).

Seeds have been changed. Not sure whether in test or before, but the seed browser does not work anymore.

2 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I think its test.  The seeds matched up before I switched to the testing branch.  Either way.. we're going to have to build a new seed database.

I tried one in test and it was pretty different. If you have a good sample from release, then it is only test. 

2 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I think its test.  The seeds matched up before I switched to the testing branch.  Either way.. we're going to have to build a new seed database.

Has to be test. Started a normal branch game 2 days ago and the seed is accurate. 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:08 PM, yoakenashi said:

This is already an option when building a custom game.

Sweet, I didn't see the options obviously. :-/

So maybe put Hardcore / Survival / No Sweat, in the beginning?

I mean, I'm good, I'll look for the settings now, but if I missed it, others might as well.

Additionally, I like the idea of having a standardized 'hardcore mode' for communications purposes to other players, for bragging rights.

On 2/3/2020 at 4:32 PM, yoakenashi said:

So not only is the whole world hotter than 30°C but I can't dig anywhere or build anything metal and there are no geysers. It's been tough; especially the Ravenous setting. Love it though!

What?  No geyzers?  How do you sustain it?  Keep a few dupes in a vomatoriam constantly stressed out and vomiting pwater used to produce po2 to sustain them with excess?

11 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Sorry, I was speaking figuratively. Geodormant does not eliminate all geysers but instead reduces the count from 12 to 9.

OK, I thought so... it would be very interesting to try with none though.  You would have to use lots of wild arbor trees I think.

58 minutes ago, psusi said:

OK, I thought so... it would be very interesting to try with none though.  You would have to use lots of wild arbor trees I think.

You can edit the worldgen files directly to remove geysers.  For example, make a backup copy of "Oasis.yaml" then edit it and set "feature_geyser_generic: 12" to "feature_geyser_generic: 0".  Any time you start an Oasis map, you shouldn't have geysers.

9 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:
10 hours ago, psusi said:

You can edit the worldgen files directly to remove geysers.  For example, make a backup copy of "Oasis.yaml" then edit it and set "feature_geyser_generic: 12" to "feature_geyser_generic: 0".  Any time you start an Oasis map, you shouldn't have geysers.

Changing the feature_geyser_generic count to 0 does not eliminate all geysers. The cool steam and natural gas still appear in the swamp biomes; the cool steam and (natural gas or chlorine) still appear in the caustic biomes, and the oil reservoirs still appear in the oil biome. I would anticipate that a salt geyser would appear in the tide pool biome (if present).

Still, this would make things very interesting in Badlands: you would only have 1 cool steam, 1 natural gas or chlorine, and a handful of oil reservoirs depending on the oil variant you choose. I'm going to try this :D

On 2/4/2020 at 12:50 AM, DarkMaster13 said:

Pufts will eventually go extinct too, due to producing princes which won't reproduce.

Princes reproduce.  They lay normal puft eggs.  Pufts in the wild will remain forever ( unless temperature kills them ) going back and forth between puft and prince.  I'm on cycle 1136 and have a little pocket I haven't gotten to yet that has two rooms with pufts trapped in them.  One is currently a prince and the other is currently normal.

Archived