Compact Bathroom Loop

This is the bathroom setup in my current play though.  I'm happy with it's compact design and wanted to share it with the forum community and get every one's thoughts and comments

This infinite loop supports 2 bathrooms, a shower room, and a hospital.

1.thumb.png.e2498a05e937078b3f6a17ad148a22da.png2.thumb.png.29f11ab12b679ff6301745cb6cf3df14.png

Currently I have 16 dupes split into 2 shifts. This build allows 8 dupes to shower and/or use the bathroom

5.thumb.jpg.87e2a3bd1c70f9e9f6d9d2bb2cdea5a3.jpg6.thumb.jpg.1478c763063ddd1fa61c9a8e4d22c6cd.jpg

I use a compact sterilization 4X4 room 

3.thumb.png.e1c20951373912732a569683436270e4.png

The automation is simple, when the germ sensor triggers as germy PW enters the first reservoir it opens the mech door below which prevents any PW from exiting the first reservoir allowing the germs to die off in the chlorine.  After the last packet of PW enters the first reservoir the germ sensor turns off and a BUFFER Gate delays the door from closing for 135 seconds allowing enough time for the germs to die

As the first reservoir empties the PW packets pass though a second germ sensor connected to a shutoff, any germs that survive get sent back to the first reservoir.  All germ free PW is sent to the second reservoir to be stored until it is needed by the water sieve.

Any extra PW will bypass the second reservoir and irrigate a thimble reed

4.thumb.png.08193f2495372ad6e6c05c088ad05571.png

So far this build works perfectly and I shouldn't ever have to deal with food poisoning germs ever again, unless I find a PW geyser on my map :p

Nice! I've been using a similar setup, though I don't bother with sterilization.

image.thumb.png.34a0475875b91eec0cd40f4f2c6099ec.png

image.thumb.png.09ed4f356e1d4c48bd2e8676abd2d8d9.png

The 5 pipe segments between the sieve and the first shower are plenty to cover use from 12 dupes.  Excess PW that gets produced goes to feed a single thimble reed.  With 12 dupes, this is almost enough to keep it continually growing.  Note: The PW line in the floor tile is a coolant line and flows counter to the PW from the toilets/showers/sinks.  It compensates for the very gradual temperature increase in temperature due to toilet use.

Thimble reeds make a great wastewater disposal system.

1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Note: The PW line in the floor tile is a coolant line and flows counter to the PW from the toilets/showers/sinks.  It compensates for the very gradual temperature increase in temperature due to toilet use.

nice, I was just planing on replacing one of the statues next to the bathroom with a wheeze wart

27 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

@Neotuck any idea how many dupes this could support before your single treatment reservoir would get backed up?

I have been thinking about that, need about 3 minutes average of no bathroom use to kill germs and empty the first reservoir

with proper schedule management and even adding more bathrooms to the loop I'm sure you can support waaaaaay more dupes 

Currently with 16 dupes the reservoir only fills up with less than 300kg average

If my math is right with 5000kg being the max it can hold in theory this compact design can support over 266 dupes.  Doubt I'll ever need that many

I use something similar, although I use a clock timer for the sterilization door (open door for 10 percent time) and a single germ sensor to loop germy water back in.  I also have the cleaned water dump back into my main reserve to be cycled into the base cooler and berry irrigation.

All you have to do is make sure that your schedules have at least 135 seconds between dupe activity in the restrooms. My schedules wouldn't work, because my fourth schedule overlaps downtime and bathroom use.

image.thumb.png.9c03a4171edc102351d7839c41b6a761.png

Also, there's only a minimum of 50 seconds between one schedule's bathroom time and another schedule's down time for the other three.  So in a wort-case scenario, there wouldn't be 135 seconds for the germs to die.  I would have to either use a different method or change my schedules.

1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

All you have to do is make sure that your schedules have at least 135 seconds between dupe activity in the restrooms. My schedules wouldn't work, because my fourth schedule overlaps downtime and bathroom use.

image.thumb.png.9c03a4171edc102351d7839c41b6a761.png

Also, there's only a minimum of 50 seconds between one schedule's bathroom time and another schedule's down time for the other three.  So in a wort-case scenario, there wouldn't be 135 seconds for the germs to die.  I would have to either use a different method or change my schedules.

that's why I just add more bathrooms to the loop, free up the schedule to allow germs to die 

Here's the bathroom loop I've been using. Well, it's also an entire industrial district with a cooling loop and a heat dump battery that will take as much heat as you can throw at it - I've been using it to smelt all of the metal I need for hundreds of cycles.

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.012bb3e0387ded17b26d61471f6e2693.png

Piping:

Spoiler

2.thumb.png.3b199302160bb4ad31ba62b34c30a9a0.png

Features an infinite PW storage tank with a pump and an aquatuner inside. The more water it contains, the more heat it can take. Pump supplies the sieve and the refinery with PW, priority can be decided with the bridge direction. You can also enlarge your vessel girth-wise if you want a second pump to evacuate the liquid for other purposes. All of the PW enters through a vent, you can bridge in any exterior source of PW, and I'm sure you can perform some pipe macaronis to fit another vent or two to increase the maximum rate of filling.

Sieved water enters a reservoir that just so happens to be submerged in chlorine (I don't care about disinfection but still do it out of habit). The purpose of it is to provide 10 kg packets into the aquatuner loop instead of 5 kg since there's only one sieve. Its output is bridged in into the AQ loop. The radiant part of the loop can be extended anywhere you want, I just use it to locally cool down the district, primary from the kiln, and I use granite pipes because who cares. The shutoff lets the water out of the system into the upper reservoir. The upper reservoir collects this water for a rainy (not) day and also happens to be submerged in chlorine. I've never seen any germs in it once it's full. Output is to whatever consumer you have - bathroom, farms, vent to space.

Wiring is straightforward:

Spoiler

3.thumb.png.da0ea9524e37aea345003ad1c226b6eb.png

Aquatuner is restricted by automation:

Spoiler

4.thumb.png.10d2de1eea5cc059a9ef6e91a77dce3e.png

Here I use a simple AND gate with a clock gate - I only allow it to operate when dupes sleep AND water packet temp is hot enough. My dupes are on a single shift, so this is sufficient. If you use multiple shifts, a pressure plate single under the operator spot of the refinery can be used to shut down the aquatuner any time the refinery is being worked or when some dupe runs across the plate. With this you have 70 watts left over to play around with, go nuts.

The sweeper is there mostly for fully automated luxury ceramics, but jsut happens to refill the sieve and put polluted dirt into the compost pile, and fill up the refinery with stuff as well. There's some space for receptacles/rail chutes delivering humanitarian aid too.

I don't actually insulate the floor doors of the tank and just let it radiate into the environment for reasons of laziness, but it's totally possible if you were to have plans for this much heated PW for some reason. It would also make the "hall" a nice four tile height.

Not gonna lie, I pump all of the primordial PW into this baby just because I can (and I mean it's gotta go somewhere, I'm buildin' 'ere!).

Why are you bothering to disinfect the germs, if you are just feeding it to a thimble reed?

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Note: The PW line in the floor tile is a coolant line and flows counter to the PW from the toilets/showers/sinks.  It compensates for the very gradual temperature increase in temperature due to toilet use.

Wait, what is doing the cooling?

2 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I have a polluted water circulation loop running through the living area of my base.  It keeps the temperature fairly stable.

And that's cooled with an AT?  It sounded for a second like you were somehow using the water in the closed toilet loop to cool the water in the toilet loop ;)

Just now, psusi said:

And that's cooled with an AT?  It sounded for a second like you were somehow using the water in the closed toilet loop to cool the water in the toilet loop ;)

Yes, it now uses an AT.  For the first 100 cycles or so it simply circulated through a pool of water that occasionally had ice thrown into it.  But, no, I'm not using the toilet water to cool the toilet water -- unless you consider that I have a counter-flow heat exchange system between the bathroom water and my cooling loop.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0eec23c568762db5552e34893368e339.png

At the far left, the PW from a shower enters the exchanger at 22.7c.  At the far right, it leaves the exchanger at 21 C.  The coolant line, immediately above it, is 20.8 C as it enters the exchanger from the right.  It isn't designed well -- it was built as a kludge and I never got back to redesigning it.  

Originally the PW from the bathrooms exited at the top going right.  When I built the coolant loop, it ran underneath the bathroom.  This kept things below the bathroom cool, but the recirculating water in the bathroom loop was slowly warming up.  Anyway, its a mess that needs to be redesigned, but it works so it isn't high on my priority list.  I think when I get around to fixing it, I'll run the clean water line down there.  Since that water stands still much of the time, it won't take long for it to reach ambient even if the PW going to the sieve is warmer.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

This run I was kinda curious how many dupes I could support with only two bathrooms before they started having accidents.

Around 48.  If you stagger their potty breaks by one time block, someone will be wanting to go just as the toilet becomes available.  The downside is the seat will still be all warm.

4 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

Here's the bathroom loop I've been using. Well, it's also an entire industrial district with a cooling loop and a heat dump battery that will take as much heat as you can throw at it - I've been using it to smelt all of the metal I need for hundreds of cycles.

Hide contents

1.thumb.png.012bb3e0387ded17b26d61471f6e2693.png

I'm confused about where you are dumping the heat and also how those sinks are intended to function.

11 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

how those sinks are intended to function.

4 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I'm with @Nitroturtleon that one.

They're there to show the consumers of clean water? Should I have added a plantbox or two as well? I probably would have noticed my dupes not washing hands after all the years I've been playing this game if that were the case? I assumed it was obvious, but apparently not, so I'll take that into account should I share other builds of mine.

11 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

where you are dumping the heat

15 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

Features an infinite PW storage tank with a pump and an aquatuner inside. The more water it contains, the more heat it can take.

2 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

They're there to show the consumers of clean water? Should I have added a plantbox or two as well? I probably would have noticed my dupes not washing hands after all the years I've been playing this game if that were the case? I assumed it was obvious, but apparently not, so I'll take that into account should I share other builds of mine.

dupes are dumb by nature, you have to place the sinks in their path in order to make them use it

Archived