I N S A N I T Y

I feel like someone has posted something about this but I found nothing.(if I'm stupid please tell me)

Shouldn't insanity be something you want to avoid not just UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.it should be more I'm going to die from it please help.

Proposition number uno:make insanity hard to get out of like the flowers become terrifying and gives you less sanity or mushrooms just give less in order to make it less desirable to go insane to kill shadows.

Proposition number 2:make shadows stronk or make more.so players need to be prepared If they went insane. Like a grab attack that you cant avoid without a friend. Or just make them avoid your armor half the time.

Proposition number tree:*INSERT YOUR VALUED OPINION HERE* 

Please feel free to tell me why I'm stupid.;-;

Proposition number 1: Each characyer has different behaviour when insane.

Wilson, for example, will start muttering "For... Science..." and the like when insane. He also plays an animation whenever this happens that can't be skipped.

Or Wendy for example sees everything as bright and cheery. Her stats are blanked out by a huge sun and rainbow while the objects appear less terrifying. This in turn makes her lose even more sanity when near the pretty things (being morbid, depressed and all). Kinda like Pyro from TF2.

Willow starts giggling hysterically and she constantly switches to her lighter and bernie randomly. So you will suddenly switch to a lighter when trying to fight with a spear.

Wolfgang's vision starts blackening at the edges and shadows akin to Fuelweaver's attacks appear around the screen, blocking out parts.

Wickerbottom starts chanting ancient languages which will not only severely decrease the sanity of those near her but also forces the insanity versions of mobs to appear. Basically if you are a sane Wilson and there's an insane Wickerbottom in a savannah, you will see black rabbits instead of the usual brown/white despite being sane. The mobs are also crazy and are agressive to anything.

WX78 starts to shut down as his CPU Modules break down. His max hp and hunger will start decreasing until a penalty of 80%. His speed also slows down and he crafts, moves and does things slower.

Woodie sees everything as a log or a tree. This also applies to the items in his inventory and thus he can't craft since everything is a log/tree. He can try to chop down a boulder disguised as a tree but all it will do is chop down the fake tree and leave nothing behind.

Wes.........................................

Maxwell sees everything as shadows or shadow creatures. Charlie appears and teleports randomly around him, saying cruel and sometimes benevolent things to him. Maxwell's shadow puppets start panicking and can't work properly, occasionally turning into frightening monsters which can be seen by other players (yup decrease sanity).

Wigfrid's costume/performance starts falling apart, flashing from normal everyday clothes to her performance (in this case, her skins) clothes. Her battle spear randomly turns into a stick that does no dmg and her helmcan't decide on being a DIY cardboard minecraft helm rip-off or an equipment worthy of the gods. Her quotes are distorted as she struggles to stay in her role as an actor. Her perks also distort, so she can actually eat veggies in flashes and also loses her dmg reduction and dmg increase in flashes.

Webber starts to get breakdowns as he can't cope with the madness. He will randomly squat down and cry/hold his head in his hands which will disable him just like Wilson. He also can't craft or utilise complicated items as his child fingers can't stop shaking.

Warly will be depressed and his quotes change entirely as everything will remind him of his mama. He refuses to eat his special dishes and some secret ones as they remind him of his mama which was lost somewhere. His penalty for eating too much of something also doubles and his idle animation changes to quietly wiping a tear from his eyes. He also loses even more sanity when around cooking facilities and will start breaking down and muttering about his lovely mama when around them. He can't use cooking facilities anymore when insane.

Wormwood when insane sees nothing. No flowers. No trees. All players instantly disappear from his view and he is left alone. He will start calling for his friends and soon will despair when insane long enough. Shadow creatures will attack him less and instead taunt him by laughing and observing him from afar.

Winona, like Maxwell, will see glimpses of Charlie. But this time Charlie beckons Winona to follow her and leads Winona on an endless chase. When Winona moves too far away from Charlie she immediately relinquishes the Player of control and moves back near Charlie, saying "I will never leave you again, sister". Seems normal? Charlie also moves. Away from structures and players. Charlie will pathfind to the nearest "dangerous area" as in spiders, hounds, etc.

Wortox is assaulted by imaginary Krampi that taunt him with words and teleport away only to hit Wortox again. Wortox will spam "sorry" over and over again and his souls will start to leave him and act as Gestalts. Nearby uncollected souls also join in on the fun and they will attack Wortox and give him varoous status effects.

Wurt will be surrounded by merms yelling that she failed and block her movement. She starts panicking and asks for Granny Wicker to help. The merms also shove Wurt and make her life hell by constantly repositioning her. If there's a Merm King/merms nearby they also join in and announce her failure.

14 hours ago, Booklover said:

Proposition number 1: Each characyer has different behaviour when insane.

Wilson, for example, will start muttering "For... Science..." and the like when insane. He also plays an animation whenever this happens that can't be skipped.

Or Wendy for example sees everything as bright and cheery. Her stats are blanked out by a huge sun and rainbow while the objects appear less terrifying. This in turn makes her lose even more sanity when near the pretty things (being morbid, depressed and all). Kinda like Pyro from TF2.

Willow starts giggling hysterically and she constantly switches to her lighter and bernie randomly. So you will suddenly switch to a lighter when trying to fight with a spear.

Wolfgang's vision starts blackening at the edges and shadows akin to Fuelweaver's attacks appear around the screen, blocking out parts.

Wickerbottom starts chanting ancient languages which will not only severely decrease the sanity of those near her but also forces the insanity versions of mobs to appear. Basically if you are a sane Wilson and there's an insane Wickerbottom in a savannah, you will see black rabbits instead of the usual brown/white despite being sane. The mobs are also crazy and are agressive to anything.

WX78 starts to shut down as his CPU Modules break down. His max hp and hunger will start decreasing until a penalty of 80%. His speed also slows down and he crafts, moves and does things slower.

Woodie sees everything as a log or a tree. This also applies to the items in his inventory and thus he can't craft since everything is a log/tree. He can try to chop down a boulder disguised as a tree but all it will do is chop down the fake tree and leave nothing behind.

Wes.........................................

Maxwell sees everything as shadows or shadow creatures. Charlie appears and teleports randomly around him, saying cruel and sometimes benevolent things to him. Maxwell's shadow puppets start panicking and can't work properly, occasionally turning into frightening monsters which can be seen by other players (yup decrease sanity).

Wigfrid's costume/performance starts falling apart, flashing from normal everyday clothes to her performance (in this case, her skins) clothes. Her battle spear randomly turns into a stick that does no dmg and her helmcan't decide on being a DIY cardboard minecraft helm rip-off or an equipment worthy of the gods. Her quotes are distorted as she struggles to stay in her role as an actor. Her perks also distort, so she can actually eat veggies in flashes and also loses her dmg reduction and dmg increase in flashes.

Webber starts to get breakdowns as he can't cope with the madness. He will randomly squat down and cry/hold his head in his hands which will disable him just like Wilson. He also can't craft or utilise complicated items as his child fingers can't stop shaking.

Warly will be depressed and his quotes change entirely as everything will remind him of his mama. He refuses to eat his special dishes and some secret ones as they remind him of his mama which was lost somewhere. His penalty for eating too much of something also doubles and his idle animation changes to quietly wiping a tear from his eyes. He also loses even more sanity when around cooking facilities and will start breaking down and muttering about his lovely mama when around them. He can't use cooking facilities anymore when insane.

Wormwood when insane sees nothing. No flowers. No trees. All players instantly disappear from his view and he is left alone. He will start calling for his friends and soon will despair when insane long enough. Shadow creatures will attack him less and instead taunt him by laughing and observing him from afar.

Winona, like Maxwell, will see glimpses of Charlie. But this time Charlie beckons Winona to follow her and leads Winona on an endless chase. When Winona moves too far away from Charlie she immediately relinquishes the Player of control and moves back near Charlie, saying "I will never leave you again, sister". Seems normal? Charlie also moves. Away from structures and players. Charlie will pathfind to the nearest "dangerous area" as in spiders, hounds, etc.

Wortox is assaulted by imaginary Krampi that taunt him with words and teleport away only to hit Wortox again. Wortox will spam "sorry" over and over again and his souls will start to leave him and act as Gestalts. Nearby uncollected souls also join in on the fun and they will attack Wortox and give him varoous status effects.

Wurt will be surrounded by merms yelling that she failed and block her movement. She starts panicking and asks for Granny Wicker to help. The merms also shove Wurt and make her life hell by constantly repositioning her. If there's a Merm King/merms nearby they also join in and announce her failure.

This idea is such an amazing one, but they'd be pretty hard to implement and some of them really cripple some characters.  But I'd like custom insanity to come into the game somehow 

14 hours ago, Booklover said:

snip

This... doesn't sound fun. Lorewise it's interesting, sure, but from a gameplay perspective this just makes insanity something you'd want to avoid at absolutely all costs, rather than something with both downsides and benefits like it is now. I especially dislike how many of these revolve around taking control away from the player, like randomly switching equipment or forcing them to move towards a specific mob, that just sounds incredibly frustrating. Not challenging, just frustrating.

24 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This... doesn't sound fun. Lorewise it's interesting, sure, but from a gameplay perspective this just makes insanity something you'd want to avoid at absolutely all costs, rather than something with both downsides and benefits like it is now. I especially dislike how many of these revolve around taking control away from the player, like randomly switching equipment or forcing them to move towards a specific mob, that just sounds incredibly frustrating. Not challenging, just frustrating.

*shrug* I mean, insanity is basically losing your control and grip on realisty and your mind goes cuckoo cuckoo XD. I get why people wouldn't want this but eh if insanity is challenging then it's also easy to overcome it. More shadow creatures? Jus kit n fit lol ez nub blah blah. More stronger ones? Lol lok up utube nub ez lols. There will always be strategies to combat mobs and well... challenging will always never be enough. Once the pros overcome insanity reworked you can bet they will want more. My thinking is that if it is annoying then you don't really want to stay in it thus making nightmare fuel more valuable. I would like to say that Nightmare Amulets and Fuelweaver Crown won't actually have these effects since they are "induced insanity" so both of these items are still viable for nightmare fuel farming.

I will add proposition number 2 soon when I have time.

Well, since only 2 Nightmare creatures can be spawned when you're insane, yes, that's not really an inconvenience. I would propose more of them spawning at once, unless you're a pro at kiting I find it really hard to deal with 3-5 of them at once avoiding it altogether when in the ruins. Another thing is that the non hostile creatures like Mr Skits and the Shadow Watcher should appear more often around you, giving you a little scare. It would be terrifying to see Mr Skits or a Nightcrawler variation go through your body or open it's mouth near you when you're fighting the hostile ones.

I love the idea of each character having a specific insanity con. That adds another "downside" to each character, which is what most of the new/reworked characters seemingly lack.

Wait, is Klei planning something...?

Back on topic, having complete control taken away from the player - while contextually accurate as it's insanity - is not a fun mechanic. Instead of disabling a character entirely, like playing an uninterruptable animation, maybe instead think of a "soft stun".  Maybe slow a character down and have them play a unique walking animation. It's still disruptive, but not a complete stun.

Why would you avoid anything? Its a sign of mastery that you want to explore every aspect of the game. You don't want to willingly avoid parts of the game just because you think its not hard enough. Ask every beginning player what they think of insanity. The more experienced you are the more easier aspects of the game appear. If you want a challenge ditch an armor, eat only berries or fight only with fists

2 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Why would you avoid anything? Its a sign of mastery that you want to explore every aspect of the game. You don't want to willingly avoid parts of the game just because you think its not hard enough. Ask every beginning player what they think of insanity. The more experienced you are the more easier aspects of the game appear. If you want a challenge ditch an armor, eat only berries or fight only with fists

Or... we could quit beating around the bush and just accept the fact that DST could use some new enemy types or even giving already existing ones new attacks.

Why can’t in the same way Nightmare hands grab me and Redress my character why can’t those come up out the ground and hold me in place so Terrorbeaks and Crawling Horrors can hit me while I try to break free?

We can say Remove Armor or challenge yourself all day long....

but that’s NOT going to change the fact that the Shipwrecked DLC made Spider Warriors more Dangerous by giving them a poisonous Damage over Time Health bleed out effect.. and DST still has yet to adapt that.

The TL:DR let’s stop challenging ourselves and beg Klei to add more content that challenges Us.

4 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Why would you avoid anything?

Who said we wanted to avoid it(I did lol but at the start you avoid it tell after a certain point )I just think the fact that being insane is too easy for ya know being I N S A N E.

I at least want people to avoid it without friends or armor. Insanity should be seen as a major downside but with great benefits.

It shouldn't be I'm gunna just imma kill 100 shadows and never have to fight again. More of I struggled to kill 5 shadows and got 7 nightmare fuel and I only have 5 hp.

You say that, but on public servers I keep getting the top-screen message "[name] was killed by a terrorbeak/nightcrawler", hell, even darkness or starvation. 

Sometimes experienced (or maybe just decent) players forget that this game is NOT KIND with less skilled or new players. 

Just because we became demigods after playing a sh*t ton of time, we shouldn't forget that these people already struggle A LOT with some mechanics. Let's not make a carnage lmao! 

3 minutes ago, Misa22 said:

You say that, but on public servers I keep getting the top-screen message "[name] was killed by a terrorbeak/nightcrawler", hell, even darkness or starvation. 

Sometimes experienced (or maybe just decent) players forget that this game is NOT KIND with less skilled or new players. 

Just because we became demigods after playing a sh*t ton of time, we shouldn't forget that these people already struggle A LOT with some mechanics. Let's not make a carnage lmao! 

Hey man I get what your saying- BUT I must ask you have you ever played a game called State of Decay 2?

Now SoD may not be the best example ever.. but it’s the one I’ve played most recently so I’m using it.

SoD 2 has 3 Different Difficulty Options- Easy, Normal and Nightmare.

On Easy resources are plentiful and everywhere, The Zombie Outbreak is barely Starting and they aren’t that big of a threat.. & You could always find a good working vehicle full of gas and good to go.

Now let’s flip that script- Nightmare Mode- Resources? what Resources..? The game has been programmed on Nightmare so that most buildings appear to be already scavenged through by other survivors, The Outbreak has taken over there are LOTS More Zombies and they are the mostly the mutated meaner variations. human Enemies can 1 shot headshot kill the player, and finding a vehicle AT ALL will be like finding a Needle in a Haystack- And once you Do find a vehicle it will be totaled and out of Gas, needing Repair kits and Fuel before they can be put into working Condition.

If ANY game at all on this entire planet can adapt that type of Massive difference in Easy & Hardcore it’s DONT STARVE- 

Prior to starting a Server you can toggle on or off lots of different options.. Such as for example- Less Food Sources & More Hound Wave Attacks.

Really all DST needs is the same options that DS had- allowing you to toggle from None, A lot Less, Less, Default, More and A Lot More On well pretty much all the items that spawn in the game.

I would love an actual Easy, Normal or Hardcore toggle though that would Automatically set all the options FOR you, (Similar to how hosting a Lights out Server will toggle all the right options to play the game that way..)

6 hours ago, Webber is bes said:

Who said we wanted to avoid it(I did lol but at the start you avoid it tell after a certain point )I just think the fact that being insane is too easy for ya know being I N S A N E.

I at least want people to avoid it without friends or armor. Insanity should be seen as a major downside but with great benefits.

It shouldn't be I'm gunna just imma kill 100 shadows and never have to fight again. More of I struggled to kill 5 shadows and got 7 nightmare fuel and I only have 5 hp.

Just like I said. You are more experienced so it is too easy for you. Think about someone else for once, how new players are dying constantly to shadow creatures. It is being seen as major downside with great benefits. Just after a time you are able to overcome major downside, thats the nature or learning and gitting gud at game. I don't get whata your issue. You're mad bcos you are good at game, smh 

If newbies are the issue, then increase the difficulty of being insane AFTER a certain event or time, such as during the second year onwards or after beating Ancient Fuelweaver. This also applies to harsher seasons which has been discussed a lot of time.

9 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

If newbies are the issue, then increase the difficulty of being insane AFTER a certain event or time, such as during the second year onwards or after beating Ancient Fuelweaver. This also applies to harsher seasons which has been discussed a lot of time.

newbies are not the issue, the issue here is the fact that you get mad for being good at this game. if any trigger you mentioned would be in place imagine what would happen to the new players that joins public servers with that triggers activated already

10 hours ago, Parusoid said:

newbies are not the issue, the issue here is the fact that you get mad for being good at this game. if any trigger you mentioned would be in place imagine what would happen to the new players that joins public servers with that triggers activated already

That's like playing a new game and go straight to hard difficulty. You deserve to die.

13 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Well they could make it like a Forge version of INSANITY where shadow monsters come in rounds and new ones come every few rounds.

1 round is about 4 minutes. This is the "warm-up" round. The round where you get a chance at training your skills against 2 shadow creatures: a terrorbeak and a crawling horror. This also allows noobs half a day to get enough flowers or whatever they need to smoke.

After that each round is 1 minutes long. If you take longer than a minute the round pauses. Only after you kill the shadow creatures will the next round start. If you kill the shadow creatures before 1 minute then you have to wait the rest of the time before the round starts.

Each round slowly adds by 1 shadow creature up to 5. Then 1 of the shadow creatures will be replaced by a special version.

These are the ideas that I thought of in @NeddoFreddo's "Insanity is Not Hard Enough" video.

Terrorbeaks: Assassins. Low health but high movement speed and damage. High attack speed too so you can't 2-hit the terrorbeak. Warps when attacked. Sometimes will teleport behind the player to sneak attack. Holding attack key will instantly attack the Terrorbeak when it does that and force it to warp.

Crawling Horrors: Tanks. High health but low damage and low movement speed. It can't warp when attacked and instead act like a Hound where you can hit it two times before it strikes back.

Dreadgrasp: Utility. A floating sphere of nightmare fuel that is able to do things that can help it's fellow shadows. It is able to periodically send out a shadow hand which will entrap the player (thanks @Mike23Ua, your ideas aren't always bad, some are quite cool) and force them to attack it to destroy it. A shadow hand has 25% of a Dreadgrasp's health so if you destroy 4 hands you can kill the Dreadgrasp. The hand extends out in a straight line so it's easy to dodge. The Dreadgrasp will also grasp into a shadow creature to buff it. Terrorbeaks: Will never warp next to the player unless it's for a sneak attack. (Basically you can't stunlock them if they keep appearing next to you) Crawling horrors: Attack period becomes 1 but speed and range is still crap. A Dreadgrasp immediately dies if it's the last shadow creature in its round.

Add more to this! Would like to see how the community's ideas are. Mine tend to follow typical RPG/MOBA archetypes so you will see more Mages, Assassins, etc ideas from me.

Archived