Good day all, 

In my latest base I have survived the longest so far and taking it easy. Now I'm shielding my space sky with bunker doors to start my space exploring. Although I just researched my starmap and the first gilded asteroid with fullerene for super coolant is at 140.000km. 

I tried to configure some rocket configurations (ONI assistant website) with petroleum to collect myself some fullerene but couldn't work out a rocket for the trip all without liquid hydrogen or oxygen. Is this even possible to collect the fullerene with just a petroleum engine and oxylite?

If is there another liquid I could use instead of super coolant to make the liquid  O2?

Many thanks for the help 

19 minutes ago, FlatTiger19 said:

Good day all, 

In my latest base I have survived the longest so far and taking it easy. Now I'm shielding my space sky with bunker doors to start my space exploring. Although I just researched my starmap and the first gilded asteroid with fullerene for super coolant is at 140.000km. 

I tried to configure some rocket configurations (ONI assistant website) with petroleum to collect myself some fullerene but couldn't work out a rocket for the trip all without liquid hydrogen or oxygen. Is this even possible to collect the fullerene with just a petroleum engine and oxylite?

If is there another liquid I could use instead of super coolant to make the liquid  O2?

Many thanks for the help 

I think you'll have to rely on thermo-regulator and hydrogen, instead of an AT + liquid. You're definitely sure there's no fullerene closer ? Sounds a bit unusual. Or unlucky, should I say.

5 minutes ago, FlatTiger19 said:

Unless the fullerene might be on unknown resources of planets, but this will require to explore every planet to see the contents :) definitely good for getting to know space? But otherwise it's only at the 140.000 ring. 

Uh. Yes Fullerene is very often hidden ressource, so you'll have to send research modules before.

So yep, you'll find Fullerene a lot closer than 140 000km.

There should be a destination with trace amounts of fullerene at the first few rings, you can use that to start making super coolant for LO2/LH2 and jsut gradually fill up the aquatuner loop as you get more.

I think you could use the 1000g/s trick to completely circumvent the SC requirement but have it take like 20 times longer (and 20 times more power) with PW in the pipes.

41 minutes ago, Ixenzo said:

I think you could use the 1000g/s trick to completely circumvent the SC requirement but have it take like 20 times longer (and 20 times more power) with PW in the pipes.

Better to just use hydrogen in a thermo regulator instead.

3 minutes ago, psusi said:

Better to just use hydrogen in a thermo regulator instead.

Of course. For LOX, the next best thing after SC aquatuners is hydrogen TRs. They way I do start up rocket infrastructure is use the small amounts of fullerene brought with oxylite rockets to start up an SC aquatuner loop, so there is no need for TRs at all. I just forgot TRs existed, honestly.

You really need very little super coolant for a basic LOX setup. If you put the liquid oxygen tank directly below your aquatuner you could probably get your loop down to 10-12 tiles. Quick thing on that though- I found weirdly high thermal transfer across ceramic insulated tiles between the aquatuner steam room and the lox below, so I remade it as a double layer 

1 minute ago, caffeinated21 said:

You really need very little super coolant for a basic LOX setup. If you put the liquid oxygen tank directly below your aquatuner you could probably get your loop down to 10-12 tiles. Quick thing on that though- I found weirdly high thermal transfer across ceramic insulated tiles between the aquatuner steam room and the lox below, so I remade it as a double layer 

I left vacuum between them ;)

58 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

Have you kept your tempshift plates away from the insulated tiles?

Might just be the high temperature difference between the chambers.

54 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

Why not just put the TR’s in the steam room directly? You’re paying to move that heat twice.

Because, I don't want to expose the hydrogen in the pipe to a 120°C steam even given I've only ceramic.

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

Because, I don't want to expose the hydrogen in the pipe to a 120°C steam even given I've only ceramic.

Eh- Ceramic works well. You’ll loose less power marginally heating the hydrogen then you are spending running the aquatuners. If you want to save power pre-cool the oxygen using the aquatuner

You may try both way of Hydrogen with multiple ThermoRegulator and Supercoolant with aquatuner. 
I think 100kg of super coolant is already enough for the simple setup of LOX.

However, i found that moving the LOX to the rocket is much more difficult to produce it, haha...

6 minutes ago, Dosephshih said:

i found that moving the LOX to the rocket is much more difficult to produce it, haha...

Yeah you probably want to run your coolant through the lox pipes a couple times to prechill them before sending on LOX. Or pipe throttle to avoid state changes, then it doesnt matter what temp it gets to.

3 minutes ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Yeah you probably want to run your coolant through the lox pipes a couple times to prechill them before sending on LOX. Or pipe throttle to avoid state changes, then it doesnt matter what temp it gets to.

It is a new idea i had never think of. I was thinking i need t o scarify some of the LOX to cool the pipe, or i need to collect enough Isolation materials.

May I ask if the rocket taking off / landing will heat the LOX stay inside the pipe also? Had not come to try that yet.

If you use throttle mechanic/exploit to avoid state changes then afaik you cannot change it. If you have a dead end pipe the packets will end up stacking above the throttle limit. So you need a circular loop that feeds back before the throttle.

Archived