What do you think about the AI?

Well the AI in this game is good in most aspects, but sometimes I feel like they aren't smart or just a bit hard to understand, making the game *slightly* easier or harder.

And here I have some examples to show what exactly I mean by this, with some suggestion that could be changed in the future:

Spoiler

pigss.thumb.png.869a6cbe2259748b37c92bb1ea1ffd03.png

Pigs in this game doesnt look smart due to the fact that they walk against a fence or wall endlessly if there's a small piece of food in the middle.

Would be nice if they notice they can't reach that item and give up. I honestly prefer smart AI over easy farming.

Spoiler

bunniess.thumb.png.1701e4d09412dc23ecfb762d890d5739.png

Same thing about Bunnymen, at least they they stop running after you(for literally 1 second) but still.

Spoiler

mermss.thumb.png.313f7d1c115f9f5344ab16ee515d30f9.png

Same thing about merms.

Spoiler

magmass.thumb.png.1e46fdd1b4cd7cf3e141fe464559074d.png

Lavaee is not a problem at all since everyone knows about this wall strat, They have a jumping animation but they dont jump over the wall, would be nice if they could.

Spoiler

koalaa.thumb.png.c041726e68a5865aaa81f456d29f6a91.png

Koalephants just run endlessly against the edge of the map and this looks like they are not smart. Would be nice if they could swim, in this case this could happen since elephants can swim pretty well in real life, not sure about koala tho.

Spoiler

klauss.thumb.png.d5a0ed6ef17db163ee94bf7bdfb8dafe.png

This just feels to easy, would be nice if Klaus could do some kind of slam attack to take the stagehand out of the way.

Spoiler

guardiann.thumb.png.97b421acdfb23ca125569c3d78704771.png

Pretty common *strat* to wx mains. I suppose Ancient guardian is meant to be a hard boss and should be killed so easily without the player even taking damage. Would be nice if it had some kind of ranged attack in case this happens or just fix the pillar.

Spoiler

moosess.thumb.png.2d0504cd9a6698abc5d141caed8846b5.png

Moose/Goose has a weird AI indeed. I just can't kill this boss without taking damage, i can't tell if I lost his aggro or not, sometimes my hits doesn't count and the worst thing... It flies away when nearly killed. I don't know why this happens.

Let me know if you agree with me or not and why :)

there are more mobs that I would like to metion here but I can't remember...

AI is fine. The only thing I really dislike here is the stagehand blocking Klaus, but that's not an AI problem, that's a weird interaction with two unbreakable objects that were never intended to be used together.

Pigs/bunnymen/merms losing interest in bait they can't reach would add nothing to the game but extra tedium. Koalefants swimming would cause issues with having them free-range for poop, and make ranged weapons more "useful" by making them necessary (ANR 2, babey!). The Moose loses aggro sometimes when you take her too far from the nest, so just don't do that.

I think you need to improve only in some cases. For example: 
- Ancient Guardian stuck in column
- Ancient taking stun lock when more than one player hits him.
- Klaus getting stuck in walls, endtables, bones.....

- Chester stuck everywhere

The Dragonfly wall I'm okay with, because it takes a lot of rock resources to build and it seems reasonable that the lavae can't physically jump high enough to get over a default-height stone wall. Stunlocking a boss because 6+ people are all attacking it at once seems like it's just rewarding you for playing the game with a lot of buddies, so that's fine with me too. The others, though, where you just get enemies stuck on some random obstacle and they never try to go around it or smack it out of the way, I find immersion-breaking and regrettable.

I actively resent the 'inaccessible food as pig magnet' strat, because the pigs don't go home at night when they're chasing food but they will stop going after the food to go after an enemy, and that means that the pig village in a public server's megabase is available to chase me down and punch me to death at any time of the day or night when I play Wortox and there isn't a fence keeping them in. (Or sometimes when there is but the gate isn't shut or a werepig punched a hole in it.)

8 hours ago, Lammarr said:

Ancient Guardian is stunlockable without pillars and graves if you have a good internet connection and timing tho.

Yes and some people enjoy learning that, i've always got him stuck on a pillar or used rock lobsters to kill because i always go for most efficient ways.

Mostly its not worth learning that as you won't always have good connection when you play and even if you do, there are options like getting him stuck on a pillar or grave. There are situations where its not possible to do this so there is this value of learning it in 5% of time where it will be harder to kill and you needing to use rock lobsters or just dodge his charge.

Another problem with AI is that the better they make it the more lag you'll have playing. Play until day 1000 without clearing spider dens because you'll find it tedious if you are not a webber main and you'll see how many spiders are there causing you to lag unless you are playing on a good pc. That's why i am against them making ai smarter.

There are issues with Klaus and Ancient Guardian though, i'd be fine if they changed that as it shouldn't be possible to kill a boss with so little effort while using something like that, its fine if you consume items to kill bosses but its a different story when you get them stuck on an unbreakable object.

I'm pretty okay with most of them cause it's mostly about using blockers on the way and there's no much possible fix unless they add a movable physics to the stagehand or making the pillars like walls with health before they break.

The others mobs like pigs and stuff running into walls is for now very useful and funny, but yeah the only one who's a bug is the Moose one. Sometime she just start an attack but do no damage cause she stopped fighting to go back at the nest. ._.

20 hours ago, How Default said:

Well the AI in this game is good in most aspects, but sometimes I feel like they aren't smart or just a bit hard to understand, making the game *slightly* easier or harder.

And here I have some examples to show what exactly I mean by this, with some suggestion that could be changed in the future:

Hide contents

Pigs in this game doesnt look smart due to the fact that they walk against a fence or wall endlessly if there's a small piece of food in the middle.

Would be nice if they notice they can't reach that item and give up. I honestly prefer smart AI over easy farming.

Hide contents

Same thing about Bunnymen, at least they they stop running after you(for literally 1 second) but still.

Hide contents

Same thing about merms.

Hide contents

Lavaee is not a problem at all since everyone knows about this wall strat, They have a jumping animation but they dont jump over the wall, would be nice if they could.

Hide contents

Koalephants just run endlessly against the edge of the map and this looks like they are not smart. Would be nice if they could swim, in this case this could happen since elephants can swim pretty well in real life, not sure about koala tho.

Hide contents

This just feels to easy, would be nice if Klaus could do some kind of slam attack to take the stagehand out of the way.

Hide contents

Pretty common *strat* to wx mains. I suppose Ancient guardian is meant to be a hard boss and should be killed so easily without the player even taking damage. Would be nice if it had some kind of ranged attack in case this happens or just fix the pillar.

Hide contents

Moose/Goose has a weird AI indeed. I just can't kill this boss without taking damage, i can't tell if I lost his aggro or not, sometimes my hits doesn't count and the worst thing... It flies away when nearly killed. I don't know why this happens.

if your hit doesnt count desactive the predict lag option.

im agree with all less the ancient guardian. the player can choose if he wants to fight hit fairly (the point of this game) or cheat (no sense in a game that are made to be a challenge). Maybe remove the graveyards and change some spot of the arena to prevent newbies chicken players to do it

You: All these AI make these mobs too predictable

Also You: Moose Goose is unpredictable so I don't know when I have aggro or not so I can't fight without taking damage and this is a problem.

lol which is it?  You want more predictable or less?

Survival games are pretty much a game about exploits.  I don't play DST to actually run around crafting torches and starving.  I don't play it for intense 1v1 combats against impossible bosses.  I play it to build a base, and exploit the world to sustain me.  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this...

If YOU want to make a boss hard mode, go ahead - but lets start with removing Wolfgang from the game entirely.  If you want to restore some challenge to the game, that is the glaring error.  After we remove wolfgang lets talk about 1v1 strats vs dragonfly no walls

But while we're at it - lets target other highly exploitable items.  Remove pan flute, its used to cheese dfly out of rage mode.  Lets remove ice staff, its used to exploit hitstun to avoid chasing hits.  Remove food healing items.  Who's really going to eat that much?  It completely breaks the immersion when I see someone eat 30 perogies, who could eat that much without vomiting?

I don't get some of these people having a problem with mob-farms. If you don't fancy them just leave the mobs be where they spawn and mush them the one-and-only way you chaps seem to like: kite with a Ham Bat when you feel like it. The more I see arguments like OP the more I think these people's problems are actually... other players being able to make these farms probably on servers they frequent and dislike a certain perceived "competition" for end goals, namely how quick they amass resources for taking down certain bosses. Why this feels again like a masked "bragging rights" thing?! And why people want only one and single "right legit" way of doing things?!

On 27/12/2019 at 1:51 AM, How Default said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Same thing about merms.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Ok.

So you want mobs that can't talk properly to be smart? Excuse me, this is a survival game. I bet you that if I slap a Warly near the fence with 10 hunger and no food he will go after the meaty stew in the fenced area as well. The difference is that he's smart enough to break the fences.

Same thing with Koala. Yeah yeah elephants can swim blah blah but can they swim through an deep ocean? Plus, it just makes the game more tedious. You run after a Koala, Koala suddenly becomes jesus and runs off into the ocean.

"Oh but I like immersion and stuff and I want to feel like im actually living in teh gaem" Well go make a mod to make your life harder and let the others enjoy their game. Or better yet get a DST Jumanji rip off and actually live in the game.

Archived