Need sand, got salt water any compact setups people know of?

So I've been using a lot of deodorizers in my map, had to deal with a lot of polluted oxygen. 

I'm running out of sand and, God knows why out of dirt too, but that's not an issue. 

I was thinking of automating a setup which desalinates water and sends the salt of to a rock crusher to crush it into sand, which could be used to sieve water to gain polluted dirt, and thus dirt. 

However I have a free space of 26 by 6 blocks where I'd like to cram it, anyone know of any compact setups that could do this? 

If you haven't gotten to the surface yet to pick up regolith to replace sand as filtration medium, you can get LOTS of polluted dirt from growing arbor trees and running an ethanol distiller.  If you use pips to plant the trees wild instead of in a farm tile, then when you burn the ethanol in a petrol gen you also gain polluted water.

Also don't be afraid to just let dupes breathe polluted oxygen as long as it doesn't have slimelung in it.  I survived for a long time just leaving polluted water to sit next to algae terreriams and produce polluted oxygen.  I only bothered deoderizing it near the food and in the swamp biome.

Also I'm not sure why there is even a question about fitting a desalinator and rock crusher in 26 x 6.. just plop down the two buildings next to each other and they won't occupy a third of that.

Depends on the throughput you want but dumping salt water into a steam room will leave behind the impurities, then you just need to maintain the heat with metal refining, glass forging, volcano, AT, or mixing it with boiled petrol to cool it off etc.

I'd use crushing sedimentary rock is a stopgap solution till you get to space, because even running desalinators full time off a pair of salt water geyers and crushing that salt for sand is not going to keep up with the pace of the polluted o2 output from even a moderate pile of polluted water bottles from algae distillers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! 

I've not gotten up to the surface to dig up regolith as of yet, I'm playing it slow and steady and my base is pretty sizeable, as for the sedimentary rock, dumb me I completely failed to notice that's an option

The reason I asked about setups fitting in a 26 by 6 space is the fact that I like bulk production. I don't want to cram a tiny setup somewhere before having to put down another one somewhere else because ten cycles later my demand for resources my require it. I like setting things in a way that they need not to be looked at again for a long time so I can focus on expansion and planning things out. 

Steam turbines may be an option, but I'm also rather low on plastic and in the proces of producing more. My only plastic at the moment is coming from glossy drecko's but I recently refined my first bit of petroleum from crude oil and am in the beginnings of setting up an industrial brick with plastic presses among others. 

Once again thanks for the suggestions guys! 

On 12/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, Lilscratchy said:

I was thinking of automating a setup which desalinates water and sends the salt of to a rock crusher to crush it into sand, which could be used to sieve water to gain polluted dirt, and thus dirt. 

I was under the impression that crushed salt maked table salt in the game?

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

Also, be sure to make puft farms so you can get slime from the pufts. The slime can make algae once harvested and put into a slime refinery.

That's only something you should do if you have let yourself run out of algae and still need to breed more pacu.  Otherwise you shouldn't need algae and the conversion of pwater -> po2 -> slime -> pwater + algae -> oxygen is less efficient than other means of producing oxygen.  Save the slime for growing mushrooms.

Archived