How good r transit tubes

If there are certain area you have that dupes need a quick way to go to and from it, then yes, a properly placed tube path can be nice. Just don't run it through areas hotter than 200 F, as otherwise you risk naphtha and even the tubing melting.

Also, I find it not so useful for going short distances.

I think it is fun to see the Dupe being shot just like a bullet. And it is very fast for upwards traffic.

Usually I put a station at the entrance to the hot oil biomes, with exit at the exo-suit station near the central base.

Same to reach the space at later game, so you need to reserve some space for the tubes.

EDIT: if you are running short of power, use a batteries with shut-off at both end, to charge the station, so it will not add to you peak power consumption.

1. poles are faster downwards, other then that tubes are fastest way to go.

They are crazy expensive though and I hadnt had a chance to try them (tried them once then regreted because of the energy costs, prefered to lose on efficiency)

2. If you want to vacuum seal room not using water locks, your other option is tubes. for areas like refineries and farms that need/emit special environments.

Last time I played, several months back, transit tubes consumed I think 900 power while being used. As mentioned, solar energy makes that more manageable. However, 900 watts is still a lot of power on your wires, increasing the likelihood of overload issues.

Personally, I have yet to find a use for them that makes it worth setting up an appropriate power grid. In most cases, an alternative transit source will be better.

In my last bass once I hit space I started to have the problem of dupes not making it back to the base in time for breaks and got alot of starving alerts and some would unsuit and fall asleep right next to the check point. I was wondering if tubes would help prevent that. Haven't had that problem yet in my new base but also haven't hit space yet and it's cycle 550.

7 hours ago, meepmoop said:

1. poles are faster downwards, other then that tubes are fastest way to go.

I`m pretty sure tubes are still faster. But poles get a head start since the tube needs to turn around before going down. I`s definetly worth to use the tubes as a way up and leave the pole down to save on power.

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I`m pretty sure tubes are still faster. But poles get a head start since the tube needs to turn around before going down. I`s definetly worth to use the tubes as a way up and leave the pole down to save on power.

actually tubes are faster but dups prioritize poles.  if a pole us there, they will not take the tube

Tubes are amazing. I have mine running in a big sideways T shape going up to my rocket area, down to the oil, and across the top of my industrial area with a stop at either end. It is insanely fast compared to my dupes navigating ladders and doors, and the trip is one blast so they cant drop critters and mats while in the tube I think, so it cuts down on things getting scattered around by dupes dropping them.

20 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

the trip is one blast so they cant drop critters and mats while in the tube I think, so it cuts down on things getting scattered around by dupes dropping them.

They most definitely can, and do, drop things.  This is especially annoying if you've built vacuum chambers for tubes passing through insulated areas.  Changing this so dupes don't drop items in tubes would be a welcome change.

Archived