Return of Them Beta Hotfix

• Server stability improvements and fixed some client exploits
  • Fixed a bug in the AI’s fleeing and wandering behaviours 
  • Fixed a problem with Anchors reeling forever
  • Skittersquid no longer get wet
  • Skittersquid can’t be interacted with while underwater
  • Added Skittersquid examine strings
  • Fixed a crash in Skittersquid herding
  • Fixed some bugs where characters wearing the Clever Disguise were not considered a merm
  • Removed Freshwater Fish from the DIY Royalty Kit construction project
  • Reduced the number of Freshwater Fish required to build the Craftsmerm House
  • Sailing music uses music volume setting properly
  • Fixed animations when using a Gnarwail Horn while riding a Beefalo
  • Live fish now expire into fish meat, instead of rotten fish
  • Fish Meat now spoils into Spoiled Fish. Fish Morsel now spoils into Spoiled Fish Morsel.
  • Dead eels now expire into Spoiled Fish
  • Murdered fish now provide souls for Wortox
  • Gnarwails will no longer follow you through Worm Holes

Controller support for the Sea Fishing Rod has begun but is still a work in progress. There is no need to log bugs on it at this time. Thanks.

View full update

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

Awee... i was hoping to be able to catch Skittersquids and put them in the Scale-o-matic in this update.

I still want little pet squids in my base swimming around in their tanks.

Where are my squids KLEI!?!

Edited by Nickolai
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Return of Them Beta Hotfix

• Server stability improvements and fixed some client exploits
  • Fixed a bug in the AI’s fleeing and wandering behaviours 
  • Fixed a problem with Anchors reeling forever
  • Skittersquid no longer get wet
  • Skittersquid can’t be interacted with while underwater
  • Added Skittersquid examine strings
  • Fixed a crash in Skittersquid herding
  • Fixed some bugs where characters wearing the Clever Disguise were not considered a merm
  • Removed Freshwater Fish from the DIY Royalty Kit construction project
  • Reduced the number of Freshwater Fish required to build the Craftsmerm House
  • Sailing music uses music volume setting properly
  • Fixed animations when using a Gnarwail Horn while riding a Beefalo
  • Live fish now expire into fish meat, instead of rotten fish
  • Fish Meat now spoils into Spoiled Fish. Fish Morsel now spoils into Spoiled Fish Morsel.
  • Dead eels now expire into Spoiled Fish
  • Murdered fish now provide souls for Wortox
  • Gnarwails will no longer follow you through Worm Holes

Controller support for the Sea Fishing Rod has begun but is still a work in progress. There is no need to log bugs on it at this time. Thanks.

View full update

Fantastic changes! While you're working on controller support for sea fishing, do you mind examining aiming on console? Telepoofing, Wortox's soul hop, water balloons and nap sacks have a set distance you can throw them to. I believe on console shipwrecked you had the ability to toggle range for coconades, rowling etc. by toggling a bumper/using the touchpad. Wortox feels especially weaker on console/with a controller than he does on PC because of this. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
10 hours ago, L. Ringmaster said:

Could you elaborate on this change? Does this fix path-finding around certain edges?

Yes, Some code was written, AI started getting stuck on land/ocean edges a lot, some code was fixed.

13 hours ago, Gourmand said:

do you mind examining aiming on console

It is on my ever-growing list of things to look at :). I believe the controller layout does not have any more room, but something might be able to be done. I'll follow up with the console shipwrecked lead and see what they may have done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Yes, Some code was written, AI started getting stuck on land/ocean edges a lot, some code was fixed.

It is on my ever-growing list of things to look at :). I believe the controller layout does not have any more room, but something might be able to be done. I'll follow up with the console shipwrecked lead and see what they may have done.

From a post in 2016 regarding aiming the Spyglass:

On 8/5/2016 at 12:33 PM, spiderdian said:

You need to use the R stick to move the circle

I'm not entirely sure if this would flow to well on DST, as the right stick is also used to scroll through inventory and crafting tabs. However, I don't think the up arrow has any use. Maybe this could act as a toggle to the free-aim. We could maybe tap the up button, activate the right stick's functionality to adjust aim, and press the up arrow again to lock in the range that we set.

I have a few qualms. Riddle me this:

Why is the easiest and least dangerous to catch marine creature gives One Whole fish meat and has 1 whole fish value? Eels should, by all means give fish morsel, not fish. They are found in the in the only non-hostile pond- no frogs, no mosquitos, no sandstorm. They require no Hook Line and Inker sea fishing mechanics. Just a simple fishing hook. This makes them very exploitable in caves. You could still make surf and turf in caves with 3 eel and a meat/monster meat so why is it way easier now?

Also it's still almost impossible to make Seafood Gumbo. Increasing its proiority over Surf and Turf would easily fix this, especially with this update stats are kept, so 3 eels in a pot would always give Gumbo over SurfnTurf. Do I even need to mention Fish Tacos' and Ceviche's urgent desire for tweaked stats?

Lastly, what does this imply?

20 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Skittersquid no longer get wet

Are Skittersquids always wet like tentacles or does the game treat them like dry creatures now? Cause if it's the latter it's absurt; if I hit Skittersquids that just came out of the water with a morning star and if it deals the same damage as it would to a dry hound in the desert it's just /r/crappydesign material; all marine mobs: Skittersquids, Narwhals and Cookie Cutters should be naturally wet and have a weakness to electeicity at all times. Ignore my rantish inquery if this already is the case.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Why is the easiest and least dangerous to catch marine creature gives One Whole fish meat and has 1 whole fish value? Eels should, by all means give fish morsel, not fish. They are found in the in the only non-hostile pond- no frogs, no mosquitos, no sandstorm. They require no Hook Line and Inker sea fishing mechanics. Just a simple fishing hook. This makes them very exploitable in caves. You could still make surf and turf in caves with 3 eel and a meat/monster meat so why is it way easier now?

I think its because:

A) The lack of fish in the caves leads to you being unable to get any seafood besides eels, so the increased value allows you to make those dishes even underground.

B) Eels are also underground which can lead players to go there for their salty dishes

• Like 4