Jump to content

Winter vs. Summer


Recommended Posts

Winter in DST is challenging yet fun. I find myself enjoying the season due to the season exclusive content. Walrus Camps give us two very important items, the Tam and the Walking Cane. The Klaus bag provides us with one of the best and rewarding boss fights in the game. Not to mention the useful ice glaciers that appear around the map. Winter feels like it has a purpose.

Summer is the opposite of that. Right now, summer feels like a bummer. It only serves to push players to explore the caves. Antlion is a chore and provides nothing useful for your character. The Lazy Deserter is niche at best. The only other summer exclusive item is cactus flower. We need a new summer raid boss akin to Klaus. We need new creatures infesting the Constant during the scorching season akin to the Walrus Camps. We need new seasonal summer ocean mobs. Something useful akin to ice, like bell pepper bushes or something. What are your opinions on summer? How can summer become more worthwhile?

To add on: Cocoa could be an interesting season specific food. It could be crafted into a slow perishing chocolate bar/be used in new chocolate dishes. The chocolate bars could act as an alternative to Jerky, and last longer than Jerky (when refrigerated) too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Summer is my favorite season due to the difficulty and the OST tied to it (Summer work theme is the best song in the OST), but I 100% agree that it needs to have more things going for it. Perhaps events could happen in the ocean during Summer to encourage sailing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like more events, items and bosses both in the surface and in the caves for summer, so whatever way you chose to survive it will be more rewarding.

Perhaps the surface (and specially sailing), should be the most rewarding ones, since they will force you to deal with wildfires and overheat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Canis said:

Summer is my favorite season due to the difficulty and the OST tied to it (Summer work theme is the best song in the OST), but I 100% agree that it needs to have more things going for it. Perhaps events could happen in the ocean during Summer to encourage sailing?

Agreed. The ocean should also give off a natural cooling effect to reduce the frequency of overheating. Not too much though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed. The ocean should also give off a natural cooling effect to reduce the frequency of overheating. Not too much though.

It's hot enough for plants, structures, and even live animals to spontaneously combust. I'm pretty sure the ocean must be boiling, definitely not cool enough to help with overheating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I'd like more events, items and bosses both in the surface and in the caves for summer, so whatever way you chose to survive it will be more rewarding.

Perhaps the surface (and specially sailing), should be the most rewarding ones, since they will force you to deal with wildfires and overheat

Agreed. Winter is more content packed than it's other challenge-season counterpart. If they add anything new to summer it should be useful, not cosmetic like a majority of RoT has been so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

How do any of you go sailing in the Summer Season?? The boats made of wood and uhhh yeah everything that can burn is becoming a sea of fire at this point.

boats are small enough to the point where everything is well within range of just walking over to it at a leisurely pace to put it out if anything starts smoldering

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's hot enough for plants, structures, and even live animals to spontaneously combust. I'm pretty sure the ocean must be boiling, definitely not cool enough to help with overheating.

Good point but I meant the ocean in general, regardless of season. Perhaps they could add ocean winds that can cool off players. I like the idea of a boiling hot ocean though. That's ripe with possibilities. What horrific scorched creatures lie under the depths? Maybe bath bombs could get another use, cranking the heat up even more and drawing out a hotheaded beast.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How do any of you go sailing in the Summer Season?? The boats made of wood and uhhh yeah everything that can burn is becoming a sea of fire at this point.

I turn off wildfires like a noob. It just isn't fun, but you make a good point. I'm hoping they add new boats. Fire-resistant boats, storage boats, combat boats etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How do any of you go sailing in the Summer Season?? The boats made of wood and uhhh yeah everything that can burn is becoming a sea of fire at this point.

Best way I've found so far is to have a fridge, 2 thermal stones and a luxury fan. If you keep one thermal on you and one on a fridge you can exchange them every time you start overheating. Wildfires can be put out with a luxury fan, boats are small enough so one use extinguishes all fires in it.

It is pretty annoying  and not worth the effort at this point though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Good point but I meant the ocean in general, regardless of season. Perhaps they could add ocean winds that can cool off players. I like the idea of a boiling hot ocean though. That's ripe with possibilities. What horrific scorched creatures lie under the depths? Maybe bath bombs could get another use, cranking the heat up even more and drawing out a hotheaded beast.

I turn off wildfires like a noob. It just isn't fun, but you make a good point. I'm hoping they add new boats. Fire-resistant boats, storage boats, combat boats etc.

Actually that’s exactly what I was thinking, I don’t know if you played Shipwrecked but I’m that DLC there was different types of Materials you could build your boat out of such as a wood log raft, a Bamboo raft or a wooden boat.

My suggestion? What sort of boat wouldn’t burn?? One made out of Cobble Stone Terrian, yeah call me crazy or whatever but I want to go around digging up the stone walking paths just to build a fire proof boat out of it. 

That of course WONT stop the Sail & Steering Wheel from going up in flames though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Best way I've found so far is to have a fridge, 2 thermal stones and a luxury fan. If you keep one thermal on you and one on a fridge you can exchange them every time you start overheating. Wildfires can be put out with a luxury fan, boats are small enough so one use extinguishes all fires in it.

It is pretty annoying  and not worth the effort at this point though.

I totally forgot about luxury fans. I could've saved so much lost health if I bothered to craft them :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

Actually that’s exactly what I was thinking, I don’t know if you played Shipwrecked but I’m that DLC there was different types of Materials you could build your boat out of such as a wood log raft, a Bamboo raft or a wooden boat.

My suggestion? What sort of boat wouldn’t burn?? One made out of Cobble Stone Terrian, yeah call me crazy or whatever but I want to go around digging up the stone walking paths just to build a fire proof boat out of it. 

That of course WONT stop the Sail & Steering Wheel from going up in flames though.

Maxwell and Charlie did leave for the Constant from San Francisco... so I'd like to see a Ferry boat. Just a big boat that is durable and can transport goods. Not too sure about a stone boat though, it might sink. Dragonfly scale boat maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Maxwell and Charlie did leave for the Constant from San Francisco... so I'd like to see a Ferry boat. Just a big boat that is durable and can transport goods. Not too sure about a stone boat though, it might sink. Dragonfly scale boat maybe?

No not fully Stone.. it would be like IDK kinda like a New York trash barrage, those things are big and made of a lot of metal but held afloat with a gigantic rubber inter-tube like outer layer. 

Soo Stone center.. with floaty outer surface, No matter what type of material we use to build the boat in DST, it should NEVER be 100% sink proof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

No not fully Stone.. it would be like IDK kinda like a New York trash barrage, those things are big and made of a lot of metal but held afloat with a gigantic rubber inter-tube like outer layer. 

Soo Stone center.. with floaty outer surface, No matter what type of material we use to build the boat in DST, it should NEVER be 100% sink proof.

Elephant seals would be a cool mob to see. They could drop blubber that could be used to craft the floaty outer layers of the boat you're referencing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How do any of you go sailing in the Summer Season?? The boats made of wood and uhhh yeah everything that can burn is becoming a sea of fire at this point.

Plant a single Lureplant on your ship and you'll be mostly fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

I want a item like the Howling Conch for dst, maybe some of the components would have to be aquired from summer-exclusive mobs?

Does this summon rain? If so, I'm for it. The Gnarwail horn could be an ingredient. It's useless currently. Sidenote: rain needs to give Wormwood a small health regen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Does this summon rain? If so, I'm for it. The Gnarwail horn could be an ingredient. It's useless currently. Sidenote: rain needs to give Wormwood a small health regen. 

No Wormwood should immediately set fire and spend the entire season running around on fire & screaming in excruciating pain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Voidbarker said:

summer just isn't fun when things could easily combust.

arguably, the alchemy engine shouldn't be able to catch on fire since it's mostly metal.

instead of having items in the base combust, maybe just plantlife could combust instead?

I disregard the mechanic entirely by disabling it. It just isn't fun. Fling-o-matics are awkward and limit how much you can expand your base. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally love the summer colors and ost and am honestly ok with wildfires, but I 100% agree there could be so much more like winter. Similar to pengulls we could have creatures that come up randomly out the ground of sorts that are neutral but have something unique going for them (like potential egg stealing from pengulls). Unique growth is definitely welcome like the icecaps (like increased seismic activity creating stuff or just new heat loving plants) and a special unique mactusk caliber mob would be great. Also, I love everything about Klaus and would love a unique hunt for a limited time raid boss. Basically, just agreeing with everyone in hopes that Klei gets a chance to touch on our friend summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

I totally love the summer colors and ost and am honestly ok with wildfires, but I 100% agree there could be so much more like winter. Similar to pengulls we could have creatures that come up randomly out the ground of sorts that are neutral but have something unique going for them (like potential egg stealing from pengulls). Unique growth is definitely welcome like the icecaps (like increased seismic activity creating stuff or just new heat loving plants) and a special unique mactusk caliber mob would be great. Also, I love everything about Klaus and would love a unique hunt for a limited time raid boss. Basically, just agreeing with everyone in hopes that Klei gets a chance to touch on our friend summer.

We need a season overhaul. Maybe leave Autumn alone, and add new things to the other seasons. The focus would be on summer though, and hopefully they add seasonal content to the ocean. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...