Winter vs. Summer

I think the main issues with Summer isn't that there is nothing to do, there are a LOT of things to do in this game and I never feel like I have enough time to do everything I need.  I've recently started playing with all seasons set to long just to have enough time in a season to get more done lol

The main issue as I see it is that protecting against winter is just personal.  Keep yourself warm, find food (not too hard unless you're vegetarian) and be ready for Deerclopse to spawn on you at some point (a highly predictable point if you play on stock servers.)  There is more to do, but I when you list the challenges of winter its pretty simple compared to summer.

The challenges of summer are more pervasive and risk a lot more than just your own death.  The smolder can ruin a lot of things, and the hound waves come with fire hounds that can also ruin a lot of things.  At this point the hound waves are starting to get bigger and more frequent too.  Sure you can build flingo at your base, but those are pretty resource intensive, require plotting out your base to include them long before they are needed, require you lived through winter before summer (spring / summer start anyone? a lot less ice available).  You also need endothermic firepits which take more resources and won't cook so you need both that AND a normal fire pit to cook and keep chilled.  Antlion compounds this with needing to appease or kill it, which means you kinda need to find the oasis, be near-ish to it when summer starts, fish for a few days (boring) and then fight / feed him.  His fight is fun, but it really forces you to spend a lot of time doing boring things.  You'd think summer would be a great time to explore the waters but your boat can randomly catch on fire, and those hound waves are still coming...

Anyway - I think summer needs a bit of a rework to balance the risks and mitigation tools.  The problem with summer isn't that there isn't enough to do, its that the risk of doing anything top side is higher.  I think this would be more noticeable except that most people probably quit playing pubs before summer starts, so not very many people experience it often enough to really care.

Summer is pure hell, especially if you like tinkering with the games server settings before hosting a world, I often host worlds for noobs with very long days making night attacks from Charlie little to no risk, the problem with that is when you reach Summer Season Welcome to Scorched Earth, or err Constant** or Wherever the heck we are.. and good luck not having everything burn to ashes when days are so long.

I love summer.  I have learned to love living in the caves.  Making the main base in the caves No wildfires!  No hounds.  The worms can be managed.  The boulders the Antlion drops are so useful as walls for the worms and make walls for the Bunnymen Farms. 

I try to find the Green Mushrooms  the first summer so I can fish and the bunnymen are close.  Summer is the best time to kill the Fuel Weaver and the best time to kill the Toad.  I think everyone should have a summer home in the caves at least.  Why stay on the surface?  

I want Klei to make the portal in the Cave useful for something.  In endless it is a great place for the main base good for reviving but in survival it is useless. Please Klei allow us to upgrade the Cave portal so we can change characters in the caves.  

15 hours ago, Rinkusan said:

I only hate summer because it's annoying having to go out of your way to find and kill the antlion compared to other seasonal bosses that come to you.

In my opinion Antlion was poorly implemented. I usually turn off the appeasements. The fact that you need to give the Antlion a frozen thermal stone in order for it to fight you doesn't make sense. Why can't we just hit it normally? Imagine having to give Deerclops spicy chili in order for it to allow you to fight it. You need to traverse your way to the oasis, fish for one to three days, craft the goggles and feed/fight the Antlion. That's it. There's nothing worthwhile in the Oasis desert except The Lazy Deserter, which often sees no use. I wish they updated the Oasis with Mactusk-tier mobs or summer exclusive food sources. Something useful.

Archived