Horrendous lag in base

I am currently playing an offline spilt screen world with my gf, and we have been experiencing terrible lag at our main base. We are just above day 400 I think, and the lag has been going on for at least 100-150 days.

Our base is fairly large, though not at all the largest we have created before. The only new addition is a Volt Goat pen, though the lag started a good bit after the pen was created and filled, and i've cut their numbers down to 1 a couple times trying to reduce lag. That being said, the worst of the lag seems to be in the screen almost past the Volt Goats, though the entire base experiences lag. 

While the lag isn't as bad when only 1 person is at base, it is still there, and does effect the player not at base, no matter where they are.

On top of that, about a week or so ago, our Cave base was just as laggy. This issue apparently resolved itself as we experience no lag in the caves now.

The only thing left that I can think of is that either the moon pool thingy (cant remember the name of the structure) is causing the lag (it is almost in the center of the worst lag spot), or simply the Volt Goat pen. It is our first ever pen of this nature, but as I said it is not the laggiest part of the base.

We have experienced lag like this before, but it was on a map I generally played alone. It had 6 flings placed in a rectangular position and had literally everything possible contained within. It was my only base, and even then we realized the cause was my pen of 40 or so rabbits. The lag would only happen when my gf would join, and only happened when we were both at base. Cutting the rabbits down to 10 or so removed the lag.

Anyway, I'm guessing the issue is just a crowded base, but maybe something else is going on, I dont know.

We just recently turned lag comp off, before we experienced the current lag issues. Other than at base everything runs great. Back when we had lag comp on we would experience aggressive rubberbanding pretty regularly.

We had a good bit of items lying around, but once the lag started we cleaned everything up and threw it all in chests as I had previously read that could be the issue, but cleaning up had no effect.

2 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

We just recently turned lag comp off, before we experienced the current lag issues. Other than at base everything runs great. Back when we had lag comp on we would experience aggressive rubberbanding pretty regularly.

We had a good bit of items lying around, but once the lag started we cleaned everything up and threw it all in chests as I had previously read that could be the issue, but cleaning up had no effect.

Yeah cleaning up have no effect to solve the lag or at least is not visible to the human eye.

I had the same exact issue when I play with my Gf. The lag is solved if i'm on the caves and she is above but as soon as I go to the surface, the lag hits horrible.

We decide to move to another place our base and star over and it was running really well until the winter arrives and everythinh went back the same.  The lag is solved if I go down to the caves but is impossible to play during winter. Damn penguins haha.

I guess the issue here is split screen.

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

How do we do that

Here...

On 9/13/2016 at 2:46 AM, JanH said:

How can I send my save file to Klei?

• Plug a USB drive into the PS4 (Fat32 or exFat only, NTFS does not work)
  • Go to Settings -> Application Saved Data Management -> Saved Data in System Storage -> Copy to USB Storage Device -> Don't Starve Together -> Select All -> Copy
  • After that finishes, unplug the USB drive from the PS4 and plug it onto your PC
  • Find the "PS4" directory and zip it up with all subdirectories (Windows: Right Click > Send To > Compressed Folder. Mac: Righ-click or Ctrl-Click > Compress "PS4")
  • When you're ready to send the zipped file, you can do so by:
    • Giving us view-only access to the file via a Dropbox link;

• Developer

So would I, but I need to see a savegame that does it :)

I mean, I have a 6000 day save here, which is obviously quite developed and doesn't lag, so it indeed seems to be something specific, which may well be a coding issue triggered by something specific - or a more general problem, which is why I really would like to see lagging saves or specific lagging areas so I can investigate.

4 hours ago, bizziboi said:

I mean, I have a 6000 day save here, which is obviously quite developed and doesn't lag, so it indeed seems to be something specific, which may well be a coding issue triggered by something specific - or a more general problem, which is why I really would like to see lagging saves or specific lagging areas so I can investigate.

I'll see if I can get a save sent in. My lag has gotten a lot better over the last year but there's still some trouble spots. Thank you!

6 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Does this mean the famous „don’t starve lag“ could eventually be fixed, if we provide more detail on it:wilson_horror:

I unfortunately do not have a USB :(

I would love to be able to send in my save.

Small update on the situation though, we were playing last night and the lag wasn't as bad as its been in base up top, but it has returned down at cave base.

Edit: I may try and pick up a USB, possibly after Thanksgiving. I'd imagine they are pretty cheap. 

Question-

21 hours ago, Mj- said:

Plug a USB drive into the PS4 (Fat32 or exFat only, NTFS does not work)

Does Fat32, exFat, and NTFS refer to a type of USB, or does it refer to the file format? Basically do I need to buy a specific type of USB, or will any old USB work? Im looking at a few online, but they dont specify any of the above.

18 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Question-

Does Fat32, exFat, and NTFS refer to a type of USB, or does it refer to the file format? Basically do I need to buy a specific type of USB, or will any old USB work? Im looking at a few online, but they dont specify any of the above.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-usb-flash-drive-to-fat32.html

I reformatted my USB and it works fine :)

1 minute ago, bizziboi said:

@NSAiswatchingus

Any particular area that lags? Does it always lag? (now, to be sure, I am not talking about the delay that is inherent to all actions, I am hoping to see divergent behaviour like rubberbanding or....not sure how to quantify this....more extreme lag)

I saved at the worst lag spot there. I always assumed it was from the frog ponds and being between two heavily developed areas. It's that open area I've saved at and the pathway in front of the two penned beefalos. There may be some other areas that would experience the same thing but that's the mostly heavily trafficked area that I see it happen the most at. If I'm solo it's not bad at all, but if anyone else is there it's can be frustrating just getting through the gate. I've always limited my world to 4 players due to the lag making it unplayable past that. I know I'm pushing some limits with what I've got there anyway so the lag feels reasonable, but I'm definitely willing to make changes for smoother gameplay at this point. Any info you can get would be extremely helpful. Thanks for your help sir. 

• Developer

Thx. Just to make sure - does this lag in single-player(edit: whoops, you mentioned solo, my bad) or 2 player split screen? Don't want to be testing the wrong setup, and also it'll give me some direction on where the bottleneck would be.

4 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Thx. Just to make sure - does this lag in single-player or 2 player split screen? Don't want to be testing the wrong setup, and also it'll give me some direction on where the bottleneck would be.

Solo and open for others to join. I haven't touched 2 player split screen in a long time, but last time I did it was really rough with just the two of us. 

I really don't have any problem at all playing solo anymore. I get a few quick stutters sometimes as I'm coming up on a new area but that's it. It's the introduction of other players where the lag comes in.

Archived