The swamp

Is it just me or is the swamp a little lack luster like sure theirs tentacles and reeds but that's about it maybe mosquito but other than that you just avoid it.just come at day grab reeds and leave and never see a use for it until a wicker comes I just hope that with the new character their is stuff worth while in a swamp(kinda like with warly they added foods).to prove my point I oy went to swamp once in my world and never went back I stopped at around day 220 cus boerdness.but if anyone feels different then good for you lemme see it.

I often use the swamp as a place to get lots of free loot from spiders and merms and tentacles as they all kill each other. I also like to bring Deerclops to the swamp so that the tentacles will take care of it because I don't like fighting Deerclops directly. The fact that you can't transplant reeds ensures that I always have a reason to go back there from time to time, because I like making honey poultices and other things that use papyrus as well as various blowdarts. I think there's plenty of uses for the swamp. That said, if they add something new to it when they add the new character, I'd think that would be pretty cool.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:44 AM, kiwikenobi said:

I often use the swamp as a place to get lots of free loot from spiders and merms and tentacles as they all kill each other. I also like to bring Deerclops to the swamp so that the tentacles will take care of it because I don't like fighting Deerclops directly. The fact that you can't transplant reeds ensures that I always have a reason to go back there from time to time, because I like making honey poultices and other things that use papyrus as well as various blowdarts. I think there's plenty of uses for the swamp. That said, if they add something new to it when they add the new character, I'd think that would be pretty cool.

Yeah I usually run my entire base from the swamp lands. It might be rather small but hey it works perfectly. You never even have to leave once you get a decent tree farm going.

Does anyone know if reeds are affected by world regrowth mechanic? Like if all the reeds were burned during summer, would they eventually spawn in new locations? I can see it being a problem to base in the swamp if the reeds are just going to burn in summer and if they aren't renewable.

Just now, Bird Up said:

Does anyone know if reeds are affected by world regrowth mechanic? Like if all the reeds were burned during summer, would they eventually spawn in new locations? I can see it being a problem to base in the swamp if the reeds are just going to burn in summer and if they aren't renewable.

they are in caves too, and those wont burn.

i go to the swamp often

its not my fault it generated between my base and the pig king

6 hours ago, Bird Up said:

Burned reeds are gone forever: You just need a griefer who burns all your reeds and you won't have any access to reeds anymore (except via Deconstruction Staff).

6 hours ago, metallichydra said:

they are in caves too, and those wont burn.

Not every cave has reeds. I've already seen cave generations without any swamp at all.

3 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

and tumbleweeds

and papyrus by using the florid postern

Forgot to include Tumbleweeds and Catcoons, but that kind of reed gathering is pretty slow.

There's no character who starts with reeds in their inventory, and Papyrus isn't same as reeds.

If you base in the swamp, unless you cover all the reeds by flingo you will eventually start losing them forever to wildfires or fire hounds (unless you are a firefighter-ninja and always caught them on time, which I'm not). I do visit the swamp often though, but mostly to pick stuff and then leave. And I never visit during summer. Honey poultices and reconstructing panflutes are good enough reasons to keep visiting the swamp forever.

The best thing to have is the reed trap since you can protect just that area with 2 flingos and a rod, and you will always have your little reed reserve. Unfortunately reed traps are a rare setpiece that you get once and then only.

As with Wurt, I think since you can make merm hutches yourself and the turf can be transplanted/made (unless something makes me change my mind in the actual gameplay) I will protect the reeds the same way: by living somewhere else.

People and myself proposed a reed variant like twiggy trees or grass gekkos to prevent reed extinction. Something like monster that drops reed or these tiny plants at ponds eventually grow into reed plants. People on open server like to ignite these resources while exploring the swamp it's a shame you have no real reliable source of this ;( A regrowth mechanic like the mushrooms would be ok, too!

1 hour ago, axxel said:

People and myself proposed a reed variant like twiggy trees or grass gekkos to prevent reed extinction. Something like monster that drops reed or these tiny plants at ponds eventually grow into reed plants. People on open server like to ignite these resources while exploring the swamp it's a shame you have no real reliable source of this ;( A regrowth mechanic like the mushrooms would be ok, too!

Guess you need some strawberries which grow down in the caves on trees, act like birchnuts in terms of fillers, spoil into Cut Grass and can be dried into Cut Reeds. 

On 20/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, Bird Up said:

No regrowth mechanic. But also see below.

21 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

If you base in the swamp, unless you cover all the reeds by flingo you will eventually start losing them forever to wildfires or fire hounds (unless you are a firefighter-ninja and always caught them on time, which I'm not). I do visit the swamp often though, but mostly to pick stuff and then leave. And I never visit during summer. Honey poultices and reconstructing panflutes are good enough reasons to keep visiting the swamp forever.

The best thing to have is the reed trap since you can protect just that area with 2 flingos and a rod, and you will always have your little reed reserve. Unfortunately reed traps are a rare setpiece that you get once and then only.

As with Wurt, I think since you can make merm hutches yourself and the turf can be transplanted/made (unless something makes me change my mind in the actual gameplay) I will protect the reeds the same way: by living somewhere else.

Reeds, like many other wild plants, can't start wildfires. Other examples are planted carrots, cactus, not withered grass/saplings/berry bushes, spiky bushes, mushrooms, planted mandrakes, etc.

Obviously these things can still be set on fire in other ways, but at least if you play with people you trust and are careful with more predictable things like red hounds, your reeds will be safe even in summer. Though I believe spiky trees can start wildfires, so make sure the fire won't spread to reeds.

There is no place that reeds are safe, unless they're under a flingomatic that is fueled all the time. The fact that seeds can land anywhere around you, and they can smolder and start fires is enough to burn reeds around you without your notice.

32 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

There is no place that reeds are safe, unless they're under a flingomatic that is fueled all the time. The fact that seeds can land anywhere around you, and they can smolder and start fires is enough to burn reeds around you without your notice.

Hmm, that's true. A no maintenance option could be scaled flooring though. It slows down the spread of fire heavily, so a single seed on fire wouldn't do anything to the reeds.

Archived