Birds dropping flint

So this has happened to me twice now. Once in a barely modded beta world, and another on an official Klei word.

I would run up to a crow and it would fly away, and it would leave a flint where it used to be. I have not been able to get this on recording.. and I haven't seen anything else about this on the wiki.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a new feature?

Birds drop resources for new players (This is usually never hosts or people joining around world generation) joining worlds regardless of season. They may also drop resources if the world variation is twiggy trees/grass geckos, if I remember correctly. I remember reading the patch notes for this change quite a while back, so it's by no means a new feature. This is just most likely the first time you've noticed it! :)

This is actually not that hard to believe since it really happens in certain situations.

-When your near to the Florid Postern,or before your character survives 10 days,birds have a pretty high chance of dropping twigs,grass,seeds and flint. This is a real nice mechanic that helps new and old players survive in the first days.

-Funnily enough,when your sailing birds also have a chance to drop these items to help you repair you boat (twigs),make some structures (grass) and eat some food (seeds),but since flint don’t float on water birds will never drop it on the sea.

Spoiler

Maybe theres a loot pool for bird drops too,and you got lucky and found a flint Lol

According to the code (as much as I understand):

• Day 1: 35-25% chance to get a Flint or Cut Grass/Twigs instead of Seeds from a Bird
  • Day 2: 25-15% chance to get a Flint or Cut Grass/Twigs instead of Seeds from a Bird
  • Day 3: 15-  5% chance to get a Flint or Cut Grass/Twigs instead of Seeds from a Bird

Archived