50 KW Oil Boiler from 3 Oil Wells

I would like to hear your thoughts on my 50KW Oil Boiler, 10kg/s Crude Oil  and some power here and there comes in, 50KW (62 Nat Gas generators) of power goes out.

There are probably a lot more of these kind of setups on this forum, I just wanted to share mine and see if it can be improved. :) 

Oil comes in on the top right, and goes through the heat exchanger to maximize efficiency.
The oil gets boiled to Sour Gas on the Diamond Window tiles and moves upwards cooling down in the process.
Automatic doors will push the Sour Gas into the cooling room.
Super Coolant of -250C will cool the Sour gas down to a liquid Methane. The liquid Methane will not transform to a solid because it will drop down to the reservoir in a vacuum.
The liquid methane is pumped into another room which will help cool the Sour Gas down even more and warming up Methane to Natural Gas.

Automation is set to stop the incoming oil after 20KG of pressure is reached inside the natural gas chamber.

The Steam turbine is set up to prevent the Aquatuners from overheating.

5d894105aa748_OilBoiler.thumb.png.77ed3258b7a029332e4c645e59c0ffe0.png5d894267b10b3_OilBoilerGas.thumb.png.242893fed924f3c43f30fcfe2a77a5db.png5d8941b2b246c_OilBoilerF2.thumb.png.e90c155b946870c680c3e900ba9996c6.png5d8941aebde8a_OilBoilerF6.thumb.png.1c66ca145442ea42cd244b37b66829d0.png5d8941a9d47d3_OilBoilerF7.thumb.png.f40e72f5d255ff00a2ea0a2eb09c22f8.png

Are you sure the safeties you have are necessary?  Specifically turning off the oil and closing the doors?  What happens if you keep the doors open and never turn off the crude oil?  Because these sour gas boilers are water positive, there is no downside to burning all the natural gas you can get.

46 minutes ago, NurdRage said:

So would it be more efficient to extract the heat from the sour gas instead?

That's what the aquatuners are doing by keeping the reservoir heat sink at -250C. If you mean the turbine, it can't cool lower than the boiling temp or it won't allow boiling. If you mean adding another turbine, it cools slower the lower the temp, so it's tough to make such a thing space efficient.

Lovely build enzium. :)

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

That's what the aquatuners are doing by keeping the reservoir heat sink at -250C. If you mean the turbine, it can't cool lower than the boiling temp or it won't allow boiling. If you mean adding another turbine, it cools slower the lower the temp, so it's tough to make such a thing space efficient.

Lovely build enzium. :)

i mean like putting the turbine near the top of the system where the sour gas is hottest and cools a lot there. Then when the sour gas reaches the aquatuner coolant pipes it'll have a head start so the aquatuner doesn't have to work as hard.

But i'm just theorizing. I actually like simple systems even if they're less efficient. I do agree this is very space efficient and well-designed. 

HI, i like your design especially for the right part of the heating of crude oil. It looks funny for the process.

May i ask why the cooling part need to be kept -250C? Sour gas condensate at -161.5C as i check in the wiki.

And i compare the heat required to heat the crude oil (say from 100C) to sour gas (to >540C) and the cooling of sour gas to methane (<-161.5C), excessive heat would be generated at the aquatuners side and seems more than 1 turbine can handle (i am not 100% sure).

5 hours ago, NurdRage said:

Where exactly?

I'm not sure which of these you had in mind, I think the first, but one of these.

8 hours ago, nakomaru said:

If you mean the turbine, it can't cool lower than the boiling temp or it won't allow boiling. If you mean adding another turbine, it cools slower the lower the temp, so it's tough to make such a thing space efficient.

Actually, the first statement is wrong. You could do this with one turbine by having separate thermal links to the tuner room (above e.g. 600C) and the staged gas cooling (always on). I'd guess a turbine might be able to hold it to around 200C which would be a nice amount of free cooling by a repositioning.

11 hours ago, Dosephshih said:

May i ask why the cooling part need to be kept -250C? Sour gas condensate at -161.5C as i check in the wiki.

And i compare the heat required to heat the crude oil (say from 100C) to sour gas (to >540C) and the cooling of sour gas to methane (<-161.5C), excessive heat would be generated at the aquatuners side and seems more than 1 turbine can handle (i am not 100% sure).

I keep it around -250C to make it run smoother. At -165C you will have pockets of Sour gas not converting to Methane and slipping through the bottom of the chamber. This results in the liquid Methane transofrming to gas. By having it at -250, the Sour gas instantly flashes to liquid methane in all three columns.

The heat exchanger on the right will already warm up the Crude Oil to around 400C and cool down the Sour Gas to 160C. Starting up the generator, all 4 aquatuners will be active and the Steam Turbine cannot keep up, (A temp sensor at 900C will limit overheating on the aquatuners).

I've let it run over 100 cycles non-stop without any issues.

13 hours ago, NurdRage said:

i mean like putting the turbine near the top of the system where the sour gas is hottest and cools a lot there. Then when the sour gas reaches the aquatuner coolant pipes it'll have a head start so the aquatuner doesn't have to work as hard.

But i'm just theorizing. I actually like simple systems even if they're less efficient. I do agree this is very space efficient and well-designed. 

At the top of the system the Sour Gas is around 160C, the Oil drips down, while warming up to 520C. At the bottom the oil flashes to Sour Gas. The Sour Gas then moved up, cooling down to around 160C. The Steam Turbine is there because the Aquatuners generate a bit more heat than I can use.

4 minutes ago, Enzium said:

At the top of the system the Sour Gas is around 160C, the Oil drips down, while warming up to 520C. At the bottom the oil flashes to Sour Gas. The Sour Gas then moved up, cooling down to around 160C. The Steam Turbine is there because the Aquatuners generate a bit more heat than I can use.

ah cool, that makes sense.

Awesome design!

16 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Are you sure the safeties you have are necessary?  Specifically turning off the oil and closing the doors?  What happens if you keep the doors open and never turn off the crude oil?  Because these sour gas boilers are water positive, there is no downside to burning all the natural gas you can get.

Currenty there are 62 Nat Gas generators in use which are running all the time. These need 5580/s Nat Gas,  Which roughly is 8.328/s Crude oil.
By letting it run at 10KG/s I will have to stop it every now and then to make sure all Nat Gas is getting deleted.

The doors are closing to delete some heat once the Aquatuners reach 900C, this rarely happens once it's running at full capacity but is still needed to prevent it from overheating.

17 hours ago, Enzium said:

I would like to hear your thoughts on my 50KW Oil Boiler, 10kg/s Crude Oil  and some power here and there comes in, 50KW (62 Nat Gas generators) of power goes out.

Very cool. It has some surprising similarities to the one in my first video (my video quality was bad, but the concepts are good). I don't do it this way any more because I like some of the new approaches I've learned, but since it's so similar you might find it useful to adapt some of the ideas:

17 hours ago, Tonyroid said:

Very cool. It has some surprising similarities to the one in my first video (my video quality was bad, but the concepts are good). I don't do it this way any more because I like some of the new approaches I've learned, but since it's so similar you might find it useful to adapt some of the ideas:

Nice video! I didn't have time to watch it with sounds and I skipped through a few parts. I would have loved to see this before my build, it would have saved me a lot of time :D

I like how you exchanged heat with Sourgas and Natural gas, I might be able to implement something like that, without the need of these pushing doors.

Archived